HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:17 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,208 Posts
Update: Got all templates, rough cut. A little late, to fire up the 1" verticle belt sander, but later this A.M. will get them down to 98% finished, and hand sand the rest of the way.

A Sunday fuse may still be possible.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:57 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,850 Posts
id go with the 1200kv het motor on 12s 5000-6000. the low amps will allow 5-7 min flights and it should go 140-150 mph when you want it too.....

looking forward to seeing the fuse!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:03 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,077 Posts
hey mark. Looking foward to seeing your fuse done. Overtime at my place is over with so i'm going to jump back on it. Maybe we'll be layin glass about the same time. Phil
mrshea is online now Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,208 Posts
Thanks, C/N Not to pleased with the results of the Elmers Rubber Cement on this "white foam" I have. doesn't want to stick as well as on the pink.

I know for sure it works great on the Owens. Can't start sanding yet, so will try some different applications with the cement. Worst case, go out and get a sheet of pink.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:23 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,850 Posts
super 77 in light coats. should work well for initial assembly of foam
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,208 Posts
I keep forgetting how much more is to be done before any foam is cut! Finish sanding templates, mark all with horizontal and vertical reference lines. Assemble foam blocks, make a jig to slice them to perfect thickness. Each foam slice will also need all reference lines drawn, too front and back!! I'm tired already, just thinking about it.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Apr 22, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,208 Posts
Update: I am so close to cutting foam! One last jig to make, for slicing the foam block. Don't want to have to measure every single one. this will be faster and more accurate. I am hoping by late afternoon, or early evening, to have fuse to show off. Just made this little tool, havn't deceided if it has the right "balance" yet.

Might want to make it LATE evening. Just have these to draw in reference lines, then it's off to the races!!!
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Apr 22, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,208 Posts
No fuse yet. The first 2-3 sections turned out great, after that, the next couple went south. I must say, cutting them out is a snap! Just like cutting hot butter. The problem is that the reference lines on one side don't quite match the other side. So before I wreck any more foam pieces, I need to whip up a jig to set horizontal and vertcal lines so they are true on both sides. Using a magic marker doesn't help, when it bleeds out. The lines get pretty thick. It will be done before I go to bed, might be a long night! I'll be back!

Thought I would just add this on here. It's late, and I'm tired, guess my time line went to hell. Major set back!! Having re-done the reference lines on the foam, I cut a couple to make sure. Just only better, at best. So, much as I hate to do it, I will need to re-do the templates too. Just reference lines. I did notice, that between sections, (example) #3 temp on front, #4 temp on back, next section #4 on front, #5 on back, and on, and on, etc. When joining up sections, you lose 1/8th to 3/16" from the hot wire cut. I stand to lose about 3" in length. Another problem to fix. On a happy note, for this size, 1:7.3, both intake and exhaust will be scale. To AIR SALLY, I know how much you like scale on this bird, so just wait to see the intake it will have. Stay tuned, I'm not out of this by a long shot. Mark
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Apr 23, 2012 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Addition
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but what is "RDS system" I am not familiar with the term. It was referenced on post 15
Lt599 is online now Find More Posts by Lt599
Last edited by Lt599; Apr 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:54 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
Couple different guys making them, here's one example:

Rotary Drive System
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,208 Posts
What's wrong in this photo? You guys with the keen eys, look it over and see if you can tell!! I think I know, but more opinions are better.

With last nights screw up, I need to make another foam block. Have 12"x48" ones cut already, just need to glue them. I checked and rechecked the "hard" templates, and they are OK. Still need to reset reference lines. It will take a little time, but at least I won't have to re-cut them. When I cut the originals , out of paper, I made a point to fold them in half, on vertical reference lines, before cutting, to assure symmerty, on both sides of fuse. Very critical, if you don't want a lopsided fuse.

Just got a e-mail back from Robart on the weight of the gear I would like to use. Never to early to start counting oz's.
  • nose gear 530RS-4.8oz
  • mains-530RS-4.8oz
  • struts 662-L/R-4 oz ea.
  • air package-157VR-4.8oz
For a grand total of 25.6oz. Any suggestions on wheels? To keep scale, mains should be 31/2", nose 3". Near as I can tell.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Apr 23, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:08 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,639 Posts
the water line are tilted????
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,208 Posts
Don't know what you mean by waterline, if it's the dark area where numbers are, that's the ducting from PDF. What I had hoped was for someone to see the difference in #5. That's where, yesterday, I got screwed up. If you look at the contour of other templates, its skinnier, doesn't have the "buldge" in the lower portion, just below the dark area. When I overlay the temps, in the pic, there is a gradual progression in heigth, and width, execpt #5. If I lay #4 over #5 it actually covers a great portion of the the temp. When I made 3 slices, using the temps, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 , put them together, it had a hour-glass shape. Not good for a F-86, GREAT for a T-38. With a little printer magic, I think I can find a happy middle.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:30 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,639 Posts
or stack the foam and use 4 and 6
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,208 Posts
I had given that idea some thought. The only issue with that is you lose the contour shape in between. I did however come up with a solution I think will work out OK. The printer I have can enlarge or reduce. So I took #6, reduced it, after a couple of tries, at 96%, it's very close. Maybe a touch taller on the top side, by maybe 1/8". A lot easier to sand out than fill in. Just need to make a new "hard" template, then cut one to see if I can work with it.

I tried using the Elmers Rubber Cement, for small pieces of pink foam it works great. for laminating foam blocks--NOT! Picked up some 3M-77 today, ( good price- $9.47) as I need to make one more block.

I hope I have found all my failures, at least for this portion of the build. Before I proceed any farther, I need to check and recheck, reference lines. Not allowing for the hot wire cut (foolish mistake) would have shortend the fuse by 3" or more.

I will go back and relaminate slabs back into a block and re-cut, adding 1/8" to allow for hot wire cut. Basicly starting all over.

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
Vince Lombardi

Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Apr 24, 2012 at 08:36 AM.