AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:26 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
No wings no stabs

Still need wings, stabs, tail, ducting, fasteners, wiring, etc, so I guess my low ball figure of 14lbs is out the window! Still, at 15lbs wing loading is 35.7oz sqft. and at 16lbs = 38oz sqft.

Thats why I am thinking closer to 15lbs-16lbs AUW
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:56 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,609 Posts
that should still fly real nice.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
Thanks for the encouraging words. I suppose in reality, the sheeted foam cores don't weigh that much. It's only when you add all the goodies to them, is when the weight climbs. Maybe I can hit 15lbs?

Back in late Oct, Tam had a video out, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1757585
flying his big SM F-86 with his TJ90 and the Neu 1518/1.5Y. And even at 18.5lbs it flew it pretty well.

I don't know that much about Tam's TJ 90, but I would hope to guess using the same motor, the JetFan 90 should be comparable. As long as the accepted method for power is watts, 4.5Kw-5.0Kw will work, and thrust be damned!
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Nov 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
It's been a while since I had a pic to post, so finally having the core blanks cut, thought I'd see what it going to look like. Now, I don't know if there is any way to figure what the final cores will weight once cut, but they all are 3" thick. So I took a guess, based on the airfoils I will use, and figured at least 55% waste. Core blanks weight 18oz-55%=8.1oz.for wings and stabs. Unsheeted of course. Will see how close I was when I cut them.

Got the servos all figured out. Should be able to put elevator servos in the stab, and rudder servo in the tail. Cleaner install, and no sloppy linkages.

Spars for the wings and stabs are all figured out, too!
Had been perplexed on what to use for mounting mains in the wing. BVM's flex plate cut outs were to wide for the Robart mains I plan on, and wasn't going to spend $150.00 more for there mains+ another $30.00 for the flex plates.

I happened across a deal I couldn't pass up for gear plates. 2- 4-7/8" x 7-3/4 "x3/32 thick carbon fiber plates. Another problem solved!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:03 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,241 Posts
Wing area in m^2 * 0.66 * density of foam (in kg/m^3) should give a decent 'ballpark' figure for the mass of foam in kg.

Richard

This is a formula one of the guys gave me when I asked the same question .I haven't used it yet,be interesting to see how it works out.
Stuart.
Btw that was a deal!Some good guys on here.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:16 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
Nice! starting to look like a jet.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:28 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,609 Posts
Lake hows it going ....hav'nt heard much latley??? dont give up the hard stuff is over.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
Unfortunatly, I didn't win the lottery last week, so it will be awhile to accumulate the funds needed.
All the BIG ticket stuff is what I need now. I have a long list!

When you have been flying nitro, then add electric to the mix, there is a whole lot of stuff to buy.

In the mean time I might try my hand at at scratching me up a foamy. Some pretty nice one's have been built here. Can't just sit around, and not build anything!
Besides, I need to get up to speed on EDF's, at it will be alot easier on me crashing a foamy, than my F-86!
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:48 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
try this one out, its right up your alley, cheap to build and flies good, takes crashes real well too
can use a couple fan options, SkyAngels 35mm (this is in the prototype), ArtTech 30mm (I plan to use this one in the next airframe), or enlarge it a touch and go 40-50mm...64mm..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1765490

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
I have looked at your thread. Nice, but oh so small! Not much bigger than some of the mosquitoes we have up here!
Actually my idea was to go with something to use my JF90 in. I know, a little bigger than most builds here, but as long as I need to get an ESC, batts, etc, might as well get some items I can use for the Sabre, too!

I had always figured the F-86 build would take a least a year or more, so no rush. I also made a promise to myself, that it would be a pay-as-you-go project.
NO cash-No build. So if the thread slips back a page or two, so be it.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:06 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,762 Posts
looking great man!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:17 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Mark, if you want to build a first EDF,, take a look at Steve's bandit EDF.. He is jetset44, his plans are great, easy to build and fly very good.. I'm on my second bandit, put in a 64mm fan and ir flies really good.. Of course you'll need to build a bungee,, theyre easy and cheap to build though... Good luck!!!! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Sep 04, 2013, 06:17 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
Minor up-date--
Should you happen to notice the last post date, it's been awhile.

A great many things have changed/happen since then.
At first it was not enough funds to finish it properly, then some serious medical issues happened. That said, the problem NOW is this BAD BOY seems to be "talking to me", ( Build me) from "his" perch above my monitor. (see photo)

To "appease HIM", I have been slowly, but surely aquiring needed parts.

I won't fully resurect the build untill my Scorpion build has come to a halt--for
painting, by that time it will too damn cold to do it. Perahps late fall/early winter.
It seemed like I was falling behind the curve, don't all builders have at least 2 projects on the table?
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Sep 04, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2013, 07:13 PM
USA, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2006
436 Posts
Cooler,,back on page1 of this thread, I knew Dick Rotkowsky, we're in the same club ARCA.
We used host the SWFF but years ago gave it to HOTMAC. That was a beautiful plane.
A story, you may not believe but it's true..after seeing the that plane, a guy offered to buy it for
10K, Dick turned him down and awhile later crashed the 86 and destroyed it. Honest
335driver is offline Find More Posts by 335driver