hows it going any progress?
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:25 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,985 Posts
Slow and not to much. So much to do , I don't know where to start! Need to scale up the stabs from BVM measurements I got, and to be on the safe side also got dim's from stricklyscale off his new F-86 build. 80" BVM Sabre.

Kind of limited on what I can due with what materials I have on hand. Need to work on hatch, could cut blanks for wings and stab. Have the glass mold of the tail fairing, need to figure out some kind of pre-fab asssembly to mount the stabs. Also need to make up some cardbord templates off of the formica ones I made, for bulkheads. The originls are now smaller than the inside of fuse, due to putty and glassing fuse to make final pull. Just little stuff!!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:14 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,985 Posts
AIR SALLY and/or C/N take a peek please. Opinion?

Funny how when you slack off for awhile, you come back and can't find anything!! Here's what I have come up with for the stab. Got original measurements from a BVM F-86, converted them to my scale. Also, I traced the airfoil off of BVM plans. Enlarged it with Profilli 2 to scale.

Now BVM suggests the JR 3421 servors for most everything. Torque: 65 oz-in @ 4.8V; 75 oz-in @ 6V. Sorry, but I am not paying approx $90.00 per servo.

Now my scale is 5% larger than a BVM F-86, by dimention. I don't know if when you figure wing and stab area if it works out that way? I am thinking to be on the safe side, Hitec has a number of servos in the +/- 100 oz-in for a much better price. Over Kill? Help me here guys!!

One last question, regarding spars for the stab. Each stab will have two spars, will 1/8" birch ply be OK? Should be said, stabs will be foam cores/balsa covered, and I hope glassed.

Don't be bashful, let me know what you think. Thanks
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Oct 21, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:22 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,271 Posts
i would think if you had 70oz. of torque or better you would be fine for elev and alierons. if you are using 6ply ply wood and hhave a good doubler where they butt up to each other that should work. the old JHH F-86 had the ends of the stabs butt right up to each other inside the fuse with a 1/8" ply dehedrial brace to conect them.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:39 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,380 Posts
Love this thread!I've picked up a lot of info.just reading the answers to your well posed queries,which seem to pop up everywhere.Good example of what these forums are all about.
Regards Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,985 Posts
Thanks Rodger. Not knowing for sure, I figured between 75-100 oz-in. For those who havn't seen this site, great place to scope out just about any servo made. http://www.servodatabase.com/servos/all

On the ply, my LHS, Hobbytown USA doesn't stock it, but gets it from Bud Nosen Models. Pretty handy, they are about 35mi up the shore from Duluth, in Two Harbors, MN
Bud Nosen Models has a great selection of 3-6 plys depending on size. All his wood is top notch.

Stupot46, Glad to share. I try to do a search on most all of my questions first, but some stuff you just can't find, or it's so out of date it doesn't apply any more.

There are a few great F-86 builds here to fall back on, and lots of attachments to gather info from.

I did spend some time this weekend working on the hatch. Lots of time spent as every piece is custom cut and fit. Very slow progress. Besides, we have a very long winter ahead, not to much to do, but build!
Mark
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:29 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
695 Posts
Your build is very inspiring and thank you for the heads up on the Ready Patch filler! I went back and found that info in your build log.I have followed your log and must have missed it. After watching your build and a few others on here like J Morgans I am planning on trying my luck at fiber glassing a foam plug for skins to use on a M21 (SR71) build. I know it will be a big undertaking. Keep up the good work. I think your 86 is turning out great. Greg (Lt599)
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,985 Posts
Gentleman I need some help here. The concern here is aft of the former in 1st pic. As I have never seen or touched, if you will, a composite fuse I am wondering about additional formers going aft. Even though the fuse is about 11oz sqft in cloth weight, it had some flex in the sides. I do plan on putting in a "ring" of 2" or 3" CF in the tail cone. I think both JHH and BVM do that.

There will also be a some kind of pre-fab unit to secure stabs. Havn't built that yet! So, do I need another former, or some 2" CF tape aft of former, both sides? What ever is suggested I will need to do before I glue in former.

Formers for the hatch, front and rear are fitted, using med-hard balsa 1/4x3/8 for stringers for fuse sides and hatch sides. As shown in pic. These have to be last for right length, and to cut slots for canopy hooks, which I still have to make. At least some progress!
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Oct 27, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:59 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,934 Posts
You should be fine without any other formers.
I have a 63" Hellcat that weighs 9 lbs with a fiberglass fuse. It has no formers past the wing trailing edge and is plenty strong. The rear fuse does flex when pressed but has held up to everything I could throw at it.
Tail dragger to boot!
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,985 Posts
Thanks boggie, the time to ask is now! Not sure on weight yet, still shooting for 14-15lb. Still makes mine 5-6 lb heavier.

Don't know if you saw the thread in Jet Talk on Tam's TJ90HP/ Neu 1518/1.5Y flying his monster SM F-86 @ 18.5lb.
Makes me really consider the Neu 1518/1.5Y over the Het 700-68-1200KV.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:35 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,271 Posts
just put a former in the tail to hold the stabs and vert
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:14 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,564 Posts
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._3/key_/tm.htm

Scroll down about half way on this page and you can see the aft formers in the smaller 60" BVM Sabre.
SteveC68 is online now Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,985 Posts
Thanks, Steve. I think I have most, if not all of the threads that have either the BVM, JHH, or the SM F-86 builds saved. This one by jfetter has some great pics. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...=threadgallery

I also have a copy of the complete plans and instruction manual for the BVM F-86
As AIR SALLY mentioned, just a former in the rear, is all BVM has. See attachments in link. I will say this, that the ducting outlet on the BVM is MUCH BIGGER than mine, even though mine is larger. I don't have near the room to work with, that they have.
Personaly, I think mine outlet in more scale.

Better to err on the side of caution, and ask from the pro's.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:46 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,564 Posts
Yeah I have an early 1990's BVM Sabre kit new in the box waiting as I slowly collect the parts to build. I've got everything except an esc and the servos which as you noted earlier aren't exactly cheap.
SteveC68 is online now Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:42 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,271 Posts
cooler thanks for posting that groups of pics ....i need to get crack'n on that project ...alais some many projects so little time.