HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:22 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,959 Posts
AIR SALLY , Absolutly right!! And left hand off-set. If your going to put struts on a Sabre, do it right or not at all!
Exactly what I needed. Scissors in the back, left hand offset. thats what I thought I had bought. On there web page for the offset right hand strut it shows the same picture.
Left hand strut-- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMRN7&P=SM
Right hand strut-- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMRN8&P=SM

I guess my point is, if there is any, the photo showed what I wanted,
--the photo is actually a right hand strut
--Robart labels their struts left ot right, based on the scissor in the front, Tower should have made mention of that.
Just thought it might save someone else the hassel of getting the wrong one.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jul 28, 2012 at 12:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:17 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,435 Posts
that funny cause most planes i've seen have siccors in back ....maybe there photo was reversed ...who knows but a bummer for you ,guess there lots of other stuff to work on
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Dec 2008
4,959 Posts
Aparently thats how Robart markets them, scissor joint in front. as long as that known, if you want it left hand off-set, with scissor jiont in rear, you just order the right hand one and turn it around. Most confussing though!
Any way, all is resolved. Spoke with Tower Thru/Fri and they sent return postage for UPS. Sent it back on Fri.

Got e-mail from them this AM, they recognized the error on the page, and new one will ship out Mon. Very nice people to deal with.

÷
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Aug 18, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:27 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,435 Posts
ok hows it going with this one ? need a weekly report to keep you on task
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:20 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Yes Yes!!!! What he said! w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Dec 2008
4,959 Posts
Well, were do I start! I finally got the rigth strut, left side. Messed with that for a while to get right length. Really had to cut it down, both inside and outside tubes, spring, and siver solder a new stop for the torque link. Cut out gear doors. I almost have formers exactly where they need to be to mount nose gear. Height, clearence, geometry for rotation. I wanted the entire system enclosed by the gear doors. Still may need to mold in a "bump" in the intake for retract unit.

Make a template, make a jig, does it fit?
Every single part has to be hand cut and fitted, measured an re-measured, most time consuming.
A whole lot more fun than just pulling parts out af a box, F1 goes here, F2 goes there. Wheres that parts bag?

Got to give credit to those who built the JHH F-86, and stuffed everything in such a small space. And mine is a foot longer!

Will have something to show petty soon.
Mark

I should mention that in refering to the different different builds from the JHH, BVM and stricklyscales SkyamsterF-86, mine is just enough different to make it a pain in the A$$. stricklyscales and the BVM used the BVM rotating retract, makes it much easier. The JHH F-86's didn't have doors.

The only other scratch build of an F-86 on this entire site, Is Johns F-86 pusher, and its a belly lander, no doors.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Aug 07, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:40 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,435 Posts
C/N's F-86 had nose gear doors and all main gear doors. but yeah i hear you when you have to do all that stuff yourself it does take time . Scalefan has Brents old F-86 now.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined Dec 2008
4,959 Posts
AS, Sorry , I forgot it was in the build that Ken Lapointe did. Jet Hangar Hobbies (JHH) F-86 Sabre Build

His has to be the only one then.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Aug 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Dec 2008
4,959 Posts
A little update. Finally got nose gear installed. Even with all the measuring I did, it still came out a little deeper in the fuse (1/4") than I thought. Also had a 3 thrust plate laying around that I put under the shims, gives it about 103 forward rake.

Now to figure out something simple for rotation? I have seen the way AS and CN did their JHH F-86's. I believe they used their stock steering arm, with a angled wood block, which worked well. My stock arm will rotate no more than 45 at best. My problem is that it can't start to rotate until steering arm gets past fuse bottom, and then it has to rotate fast so torque link doesn't hit the air cylinder. Don't you just love geometry?

You can see in last pic that the cut out for the doors are not as big as they looked in pic #2. Because a portion of the intake was badly damaged in extracting it off the plug, I had made a new insert. My mistake was glueing it in before I glued nose section on to fuse. Angle is off! Will cut it back some for now, and once I get to the point of mounting the fan I will know exact angle and will also need small bump in the intake to clear retract unit.

Once the retraction is solved, then on to the hatch.
Mark
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Aug 13, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:09 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,070 Posts
lookin good mark. Phil
mrshea is offline Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Dec 2008
4,959 Posts
Thanks Phil. Progress is what I figured--slow! Still working on yours? .
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:20 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshea View Post
lookin good mark. Phil
+1, I agree.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,435 Posts
sweet
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Dec 2008
4,959 Posts
Thanks all. Just trying to do it right!

Here's some food for thought on the next project. NO, I'am not getting ahead of myself! I started this late last summer, and this spring lost some interest in it after seeing Phil's (mrshea) F-86 build, I was hooked. Sport planes are nice, but there is something about real scale aircraft.

I had gotten the plans and all the glass duct work for the price of shipping. In PM's to Hans(hofer) I have all the measurements and airfoils the Starfire uses.
If they flew great back in the day of the OS91/Dynamax set up with only 12-13lb of thrust, this could be built super light and would fly great with a JetFan 90! Definitely would have to do something about the intake size. Maybe a foamy Starfire!

Two pics just to show relative size to my F-86F. Almost same size.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Aug 13, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:25 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,861 Posts
That's good stuff Mark. Keep the updates coming!

Quote:
... (1/4") than I thought.....had a 3* thrust plate..........about 103* forward rake.......more than 45* at best.
Don't mean to hi-jack your thread but I'd thought I'd pass along a computer skill I just recently learned about.
All those pesky symbols & signs, like degree, fractions, math signs, etc., are hard to pull off on a standard keyboard.
They're easily accessed on your character map pop-up.
Here's how to get to it:
left click the Windows icon on the bottom left of your screen>click All Programs>click Accessories>click System tools>click Character Map

Scroll through it, pick out what you want, hit the select button, then the copy button.
Go back to your text and paste where ever.

Check it out there are a ton of in there.

Probably old hat to some of these PC gurus, but us old farts that are new to all this techno stuff it might come in handy.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_