HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:57 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,981 Posts
Build Log
F-86F Build

I really fouled up my original post. So I will do my best to rewrite. I changed this over to a build thread. I had some specs and a few questions, but most everything is on post #14. Mostly it was about the JETFAN 90mm, and would it power the size I was looking at. Turns out to be 1:7.3. the pics below will explain some things. Oh well, stuff happins.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jun 28, 2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Title change.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:13 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,110 Posts
nice mark. Templates llok good. Will be watching. Hope to get back on mine soon. Phil
mrshea is offline Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:36 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Folowing the build.
One ofmy favorite airframes.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is online now Find More Posts by AirX
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:46 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,264 Posts
just do the nose scale ....we have flown a F-86 at way less than 100% fsa and the plane flew well ....no large mouth bass ...please if it light it will fly fine on a 90mm ,use a jet fan 90 sweet sound and runs well on 8s 5000 mah batts.2600 watts or so ,10s would be even better to get you out of the grass.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,981 Posts
No need to worry about a "big mouth bass" intake. If I were to build something like that, they should ban me from this site. It will be scale, trust me!!

While I was waiting for some feed back, I read the whole JHH F-86 thread, lots of good info. In that it started back in 8-2-2005, there is quite a bit of out dated info. As far as power goes, I am leaning towards the top end. There is a HET 700-83-1445 on 10's that does well, 12.3lbs thrust @4.6Kw or the Leopard 4082-B-1250, 14.3lbs thrust@ 5.76Kw. A few others in between.

Just for the nuts of it, I checked out BVM, can't believe the price on there "small" F-86. did find that there 63"WS F-86, weighs about 17lbs, and they suggest from 12-17+ lbs of thrust. So I think I'm OK with the JetFan 90. I too, like the sound!!!

Thinking ahead, there canopy for the 63", will fit just fine. Theirs is 1:7.5 , mine comes out at 1:7.31 I hardly think .19% difference will matter. Will need the canopy to figure out the hatch area. Want to incorperate lips on sides of fuse for mounting hatch. thinking of a one-piece wing, should have plenty of room, and much easier.

Now, I need to get busy and cut final templates. Foam blocks where cut awhile back--at the time for a future project, guess this is it. Going to try out the elmers rubber cement to glue blocks together. Worked good on pink foam, I have some white stuff, 11/2lb density I will try first. ( Saw the glue thing on the T-38 thread) No drag on the hot wire, and very easy to sand. thanks, Mark
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:39 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,264 Posts
did you go to there web site and see the vid of corsair nuts (Brents) wemo 90 powered F-86 man that thing flew sweet.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:55 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,981 Posts
I don't know that I did. watched some of the vids in the thread. Is the web site some where in the thread? If so, must have missed it. Let me know, please.
Really liked how he did the finish.

I have to say, that getting that PDF file from Kluas, made all the difference. getting the right shape, to mem is all important. The rest will be easy, a lot of work, but easy! with the dynamax fan, there really wasn't any practical wasy to use it in a F-86, without, a huge intake or cheater hole. Those went out a long time ago.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,981 Posts
From the past!

I was looking through some old mags, and found this from M.A.N.,June 1996. 13Th Annual southwest Fan Fly.

I guess this answers my question about the JetFan 90, @ 12-14lbs of thrust, being able to fly mine!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:14 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,563 Posts
Without having them side by side I would guess that the 63" Sabre from BVM is the same fuselage as their older 60" Sabre. It's just the wingspan that increased. Remeber the F-86F-40 aircraft had a long wing so maybe that is what they are modeling.
SteveC68 is online now Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:32 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,264 Posts
just google Jet Hanger Hobbies that will get you the web site.there was a build thread in here somewhere. he did the finish with alum tape one panel at a time ...look great but added a couple of pounds ...still it flew well and went 160 on 12s set up wemo 90mm fan .we think the jet fan has more thrust ,almost the same numbers as a wemo .we are both flying JF90mm right now .tempted to put one in my BVM fury im building.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,981 Posts
SteveC68, The only reason I brought up the BVM F-86, was that mine will be ever so close in size, that if I want, I can use some of their avaliable parts.

AIR SALLY, I saw the vid on JHH site, but didn't see a build thread. I did see the how he had covered it in the build thread. Beautiful.

Let me ask you this, I know that mrshea is building his version of the F-86, 37" lenght, 37" WS. Do you think there is room for one more build thread on the F-86. Because of the size difference, there will be many similarites, but just as many or more differences. So, should I make this a build thread??? Mark
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:19 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,264 Posts
i say do your own thread ...yours is bigger and it will be diff . the build thread for brents 86 was here on r/c groups ...there is no build on JHH web site.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:12 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,981 Posts
AIR SALLY, it had to be in here, ( Jet Hangar Hobbies (JHH) F-86 Sabre Build ) as thats where I saw his handy work with the aluminum. I did read entire thread, saw vids.

On the thread, I think I may. Just in how I will make the fuse will be diff. Will switch it later, should get some sleep!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,981 Posts
If you read post #1, you know that I changed this to a build log. I am just in the preliminary stages, scale figured out, basic templates cut. Final templates to be cut out of counter top material [ formica], edge sanded for smooth hot wire cutting. Horizontal and verticle reference lines to be drawn on both sides.

Before I go to far, let me say this. Size wise, this will be totaly scale, no BIG intakes!!! Also, I am going to do this a little different than most builds, in that I will let you know what product I use, make/brand, part#, weight,etc. I have done enough searches, and not found what I want, because it wasn't listed. There will be numerous jigs to be made. Some tips and tricks also.

Awhile back I was looking for some thicker foam, and got 4 pieces, 4'x4' 3/12" thick, for free from a roofing outfit. Looks like wing core material, about 1.5 lbs density. Will try it first, if it doesn't work, will get some "pink" Foam has been cut to width, just needs to be glued to final size. Will try Elmers Rubber Cement, got this (Tip #1)about $2.00 per 4oz. from the T-38 thread. Worked good on the pink foam sample. No drag with hot wire, and very easy to sand. Hope to get templets done, foam block glued, then first jig to be made. Sections need to be cut exactly 2.25" thick, and SQUARE!!!

Here;s what I'm thinking for now:
  • JETFAN 90mm
  • Motor-HET or Leopard( Kv to be deceided later, based on some kind of weight estimate.
  • Robart Retracts -Air Up/Down
  • Nose Gear-540R 105 degree, all low profile
  • Mains-530's
  • Struts- 662's
  • Canopy- BVM, a scale fit, and easier

One piece, foam/balsa wing, with RDS system. Not sure if I can use RDS on stab and rubber?
The fuse should go fairly fast, as I have all the fiberglass, resin, and carbon fiber on hand. After that, no guarntees. don't expect the speed of a falcon5, or the detail of a invertmast, or tumbler. This will be a long haul!

That's enough for now. A couple of pics just for the nut's of it. Thanks, Mark
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Apr 19, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:48 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
sweet! perfect size for a high power 90 in a light airframe! looks great!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut