HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:22 AM
So many UMs, so little money.
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Discussion
If you had an extra Fox .45, servos, receiver, etc., what would you put them in?

Hi all,

I've been focusing on electric due to its ease of use, but my nitro planes have been calling me lately.

I'm thinking about putting a SPAD together due to the low cost, ease of building, and definitely the durability. Maybe a SPA3D or SPAD Stick.

What would you stick all of the extra parts into if you were an intermediate pilot looking for a tough and fun plane?

Brandon
NeveSSL is offline Find More Posts by NeveSSL
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:56 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,143 Posts
That was what I did with one of my Fox .45 engines. I put it in a Spad 3D plane for the heck of it. You have to fly the plane slow, so a big low pitch prop works.

I also put another Fox .45 into a Combat Airmadillo, Great for those days the flying field is crowded and busy as the plane survives mid airs really well.

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:37 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Awesome! Is there a guide to building one of the SPA3D/SPAD3Ds, other than STTB since it seems to have gone kaput?

I'm hating that site is down. I just wanted to really dig into these things (although they seem to be a bit of a dying breed) and the website with the most info goes away. :-/

Brandon
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:48 PM
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
508 Posts
I would put them in a GP Escapade 40. The Escapade 40 is one of the nicest flying 40 size planes aroung. BTW, that Fox engine is a very good engine and once broken in will last forever.

Bruce
landeck is offline Find More Posts by landeck
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:01 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,143 Posts
Fox Manufacturing is still alive and well and making engines plus selling them too.
http://foxmanufacturing.com/

Yeah I don't know what happened to STTB but it seems to have gone down. Hopefully it is a server or network issue or something and not something worse.
The SpadWorld forum should have information about the planes too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:13 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Thanks, Bruce. This one is almost as old as I am... its from 1987. It hadn't been run in probably 5 years and it literally started right up when I first got it. Great running engine!!!! It needs to be on a plane.

Thanks, earl. I'm trying to find more info on SPADs, but even Spad World has been a bit dead. Not too much activity over there. It seems to be hard to find any tutorials on basic SPAD techniques, too. The plans are great and all, and I might be able to hammer one out, but it would be nice to have something to go by. draftman3's videos on YouTube have been a great help. I'm hoping to find one similar to that on the SPA3D, but I haven't been able to yet.

Brandon
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,143 Posts
Yeah this time of the year is about when people are just getting out of the cold winter and are starting to get interested in flying again. So it doesn't surprise me if the Spad forums are really slow. Usually they get more active as summer approaches.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:59 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,709 Posts
A good choice would be a 40 size Stick, Eagle 2, etc.

If you want to build from a kit, the Sig Kavalier wold be a great match.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,069 Posts
Sig Four Star 40. Just got done flying mine, and I always forget how much I LOVE this plane. Your .45 would be perfect in it too.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1