SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2001, 12:58 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,500 Posts
just might have to give up E-flight...

Last evening I did something I have always wanted to do.

Took flight lesson No.1, Cessna 150 N01869.

The FI drove until we reached 2000 ft. He then handed off the control, having me then make some turns with just the rudder and elevator (just like my 1st E-plane). Then he had me add ailerons. Then he indicated a heading and had me hold it, keeping the plane level. Lesson No. 2 is Saturday morning, 0900 hrs.

I think I'm hooked. Only 19 more hours to solo.

I don't think I will be sinking any more cash into this hobby.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2001, 02:25 PM
jsc
Where does it all end?
Boise/Nampa Idaho
Joined May 2000
592 Posts
Larry, I have recently have the same feelings as you!! I have been flying for quiet some time but have recently started taking it seriously, It also helps me defray the cost being an Avionics tech and A&P!! And my R/C Flying buddy just completing his CFI! Good luck to you.
Jeff
jsc is offline Find More Posts by jsc
Old Jun 26, 2001, 02:38 PM
heli on the brain
Apple Valley/Victorville, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
544 Posts
...just be carefull, i dont think a Cessna is as indestructable as a Zagi is. ...although i have wanted to try the real thing myself, its far too expensive for me to take that plunge. not too mention it would be a while before i could do inverted passes 2 feet off the ground!
dezflyer is offline Find More Posts by dezflyer
Old Jun 26, 2001, 03:15 PM
Old Guy
Carver, MA USA
Joined Jun 2000
553 Posts
I own N3303J (a 150). I still look back to my first flight about 900 hours ago (12 years) and can fully understand the joy you felt being in the left seat. There's nothing quite like "being up there". The humble 150 has the distinction of being one of the few aircraft with no history of in flight breakups. It also has an extremely low fatality per thousand hours flown ratio. This becomes most signifigant when considering the number of these aircraft in student hands. I tracked mine for about 3 years, and at 125 hours per year tied down outside the cost of ownership came close to $40/hour of flight. That's factoring in the engine at 2000TBO.
An excellent day starts with removing the RH seat and loading a few models into the plane. 3 hours brings me from MA to a friend's home in PA. We spend the day flying models together. Then it's back into "Big Bird" for 3 hours back to MA. It doesn't get any better than that. Life is good.
Best of luck and enjoy!
Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old Jun 26, 2001, 03:22 PM
Wilmington Oh 45177
Joined Nov 1999
885 Posts
Goodbye.

shelby is offline Find More Posts by shelby
Old Jun 26, 2001, 05:20 PM
WattNaught
Sacramento, CA, USA
Joined Aug 2000
280 Posts
Having done both -- I think you can enjoy both at no expense to the other.

After your Private, rent your planes, or join a flying club. If you fly less than about 40 hours per year, it's cheaper to rent. And if you can find a club to join (some clubs are single plane, low member types) you'll save even more. I know the desire to own will be strong, but try to fight it. It'll pay off in the long run.

Also, flying a full scale will really let you appreciate RC 'cause you can fly many different kinds of planes, that you'll probably not get a chance to fly with the real ones.

BTW full scale flying is not really as dangerous as others would have you believe, but it's not very forgiving of serious mistakes or especially of flying into WEATHER.

Pay attention to the weather, fly safe, and you'll enjoy your new endeavor for a long long time.

Happy Landings
R. Green is offline Find More Posts by R. Green
Old Jun 26, 2001, 05:30 PM
The Great and Powerful Oz
Bismarck, ND USA
Joined Jun 2001
354 Posts
I have had a pilot's license for 20+ years. I enjoy flying RC, and I enjoy flying full-scale aircraft. You are going to find that it's orders of magnitude easier to fly an airplane when you are sitting inside it, when you can feel what it's doing, rather than just being able to see what your model is doing.
It won't take you anywhere near 20 hours to solo. If I remember, I had 6.5 hours when the instructor climbed out and told me to go ahead and do it by myself around the patch. I will never forget my first solo flight, and neither will you. When I taxied back in and got out, they did the usual and customary things, like cutting the tail off my shirt and hanging it up on the wall in the office. Go have fun!
Woody is offline Find More Posts by Woody
Old Jun 26, 2001, 05:50 PM
Garland, Texas
Joined Jul 2000
339 Posts
Flying the "big planes" is fun and I think back fondly of my first solo flight I was nervous,excited,proud I could not believe it was time for me to solo...that was 10 years ago and I still fly the big ones every so often and I do agree it is much easier to fly a plane when you are sitting in it (trust your butt it will not steer you wrong)than watching it from the ground
Rekit is offline Find More Posts by Rekit
Old Jun 26, 2001, 06:02 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I did it the other way around as well.. Now, I can honestly say without hesitation that I enjoy R/C more than realscale.. doesn't help that I fly realscale for a living and all it's associated hassles.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jun 26, 2001, 06:40 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
In my case, full scale would have been cheaper. I know I could have been IFR qualified for what I've spend on R/C..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 26, 2001, 06:50 PM
Garland, Texas
Joined Jul 2000
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy W:
In my case, full scale would have been cheaper. I know I could have been IFR qualified for what I've spend on R/C..
..a
I am starting to wonder myself too...it seems like I need something every time I turn around, a battery pack here a prop there a new airplane after the momentary insanity of trying to fly a slow flyer in 15 mph winds.....this hobby is like teenage children they always have a hand out looking for some money

[This message has been edited by Rekit (edited 06-26-2001).]
Rekit is offline Find More Posts by Rekit
Old Jun 26, 2001, 06:54 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,488 Posts
Andy, unless you spent 20 grand lately on some pricey brushless stuff you still got off cheap with RC, trust me on this one!

Ed
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2001, 08:09 PM
The Great and Powerful Oz
Bismarck, ND USA
Joined Jun 2001
354 Posts
You got that right. Have any of you priced any used airplanes lately? Forget new ones, just look at 25 year old aircraft. You can buy everything in Tower Hobbies catalog for what it would cost for a junker full-scale looking for a place to crash!
Woody is offline Find More Posts by Woody
Old Jun 26, 2001, 10:00 PM
Atkinson, N.C. U.S.A.
Joined Jan 2000
172 Posts
As for full scale plane ownership you might consider a homebuilt. I had owned two different models of Aeroncas which I had sold when I originally moved to Florida from N.C. Since I was raising 3 children the purchase of a plane was out of the picture. I saw a drawing of the experimental "Fly Baby" by Peter Bowers and fell in love with it. I purchased the plans and started scrounging for the necessary materials and engine. It took me three years of weekends and evenings to finish it, but in that way I was able to spread the cost over time. Also my labor was cheap. Somebody wanted it after completion at a really good price so I sold it. I later bought a used 1946 Ercoupe. Fantastic airplane. Anyway, unless the regs have changed, you can work on your own experimental plane thus saving $$$s. The big problem with homebuilts now is the lack of reasonably priced engines. The Fly Baby built just like a big model airplane. If you wever see Fly Baby N9421, she was my baby
Harold Harper is offline Find More Posts by Harold Harper
Old Jun 26, 2001, 10:07 PM
too old to 3d
United States, GA, Peachtree City
Joined Aug 2000
1,140 Posts
I can honestly say that RC flying led to a great career flying for the airlines. It was that lowly Gentle Lady RC glider that inspired me 15 years ago.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott C (edited 06-26-2001).]
Scott C is offline Find More Posts by Scott C