HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:08 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,090 Posts
Discussion
Stevens Quick Oats 250

This last weekend I was able to pick up a Quick Oats 250 from Stevens Aero at the Toledo show. This should turn out to be a nice plane for some lazy crusing around the park.
Unfortunately due to other constraints I'm probably not going to have time to build as quickly as other people.
From what I have seen so far its up to the usual high standards.
Rob_P is offline Find More Posts by Rob_P
Last edited by Rob_P; May 03, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:30 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Cute parkflier! And on sale!
http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...t-p-20594.html
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:15 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,090 Posts
Looking ahead I noted that the mounting plate for the servos has cut outs for both HS35s and 55s. On the shelf I had some HS50s and some Spectrum servos, neither quite tied up with the cut outs and screw pilot holes so I bought a pair of HS55s (half the price of the 35s).
The servo mount plate was then cut for the 55s and every lined up fine.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:23 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,090 Posts
Fuselage assembled very easily.
Minor points, the instruction refer to window pillars F4C, F4D on one side and F8C, F8D on the other. In fact the wood is marked F8C, F8D for both the left and right, no biggie but it had me looking through the wood just to make sure.
Last edited by Rob_P; Apr 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:46 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,090 Posts
Mmmm, something looks a bit adrift here?
The forward tabs for F15 don't line up with the cut outs in the fuselage sides.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:42 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,090 Posts
I can't wait any longer for feedback so its time to press on.
I took a knife to the fuse sides and modified to accept F15's forward tabs.

Just a note, the fuse is really quite compact and the glue extension tips are quite a necessity.
Last edited by Rob_P; Apr 27, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:45 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,090 Posts
Next, time to assemble the removable hatch which is held in place with a magnet.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:46 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,090 Posts
Assemble the rudder and horizontal stabiliser.

Just in case your wondering, No I didn't build on this work bench, its not flat enough. I just had a bit of clear space to lay down the parts to photograph.
Last edited by Rob_P; Apr 27, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:48 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,090 Posts
Assemble one half of the wing.
What really strikes you is the depth of the cord compared to the span.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Nov 2007
335 Posts
Very interesting build. Looks like it's built like a tank, which meshes well with my flying skills. My first ever balsa build was a Stevens STIK. The wing on it is extremely strong and has been holding up to all manner of abuse.
Looking forward to following your project to the maiden.

M
mararra is offline Find More Posts by mararra
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:03 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,090 Posts
Mararra, "Built like a tank" does not give this justice. True it does appear to be considerably stronger than some models with fuses constructed of balsa stringers but its still relatively light. Couple this with the high wing area and its quite an appealing proposition.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,090 Posts
I have now managed to assemble and glue the other half of the wing. All went well but I did note a couple of points.
This is the first time I have built a wing thats not over a plan & I was concerned with squareness. I put my trust in the laser cut "jig saw" in that it has to be square in order for the parts to fit. The only minor issue was W14 this is a small piece of horizontal main wing trailing edge that sits over the fuse. When I came to install mine it was about 0.75mm too short. I did try to pull in the wing halves to make it fit but was fearfull of the pressure necessary to close the gap. In the end I simply cut a replacement part that was slightly longer.
In the same area the two gussets that join the trailing edges to the middle ribs have tabs that locate into cut outs the ribs. For some reason the tabs on the gussets only extend for half the thickness of the rib leaving a little step. I may add a 10mm x 40mm piece to span the ribs and provide an additional wing seating surface.
Old May 01, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Nov 2007
335 Posts
Looks like you're makin progress. I am surprised at the misalignment problems you've run into. I have only built one Stevens kit and everything went together perfectly. This has also been my experience with most other laser cut kits. The only parts fit issues I've had have been with the die cut models.
I'm sure you will get it sorted out. I see from looking at the specs it is a very light model with low wing loading. Should be an easy and relaxing plane to fly.

M
mararra is offline Find More Posts by mararra
Old May 02, 2012, 04:34 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Aug 2001
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
Mararra, "Built like a tank" does not give this justice. True it does appear to be considerably stronger than some models with fuses constructed of balsa stringers but its still relatively light. Couple this with the high wing area and its quite an appealing proposition.
I built one of these a few weeks ago and will post pics later. I was surprised that I couldn't find a thread on it. It is a great little plane and is a lot of fun to fly. My little kids can handle it easily.

Regarding 'built like a tank': mine experienced a lockout at about 40' and nosed over straight into the ground. It buried its nose about 1" into the somewhat moist turf and broke the prop. That was the extent of the damage. It didn't so much as wrinkle the covering! The big mass items, the wing and the battery, popped free in the crash and dissipated kinetic energy.

Thanks for the build thread!
BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry
Old May 02, 2012, 08:06 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,090 Posts
Terry,

Thanks for the feedback. I figured there has to be a few out there by now but your right in that it has not had much coverage.

Rob