Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 01, 2012, 09:30 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
I just tried the AUX2 and Mix switch. Both these methods allow you to switch between modes at will without
having to rebind after switching from 6 axis mode to 3 axis mode one time like you have to using the FMD switch and gyro settings.

Thanks guys for posting this information.

I will update my LB setup guide tonight with both these options.

Tom
I just switched the Devo 10 over to the MIX switch for axis mode and can flip back and forth..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 09:36 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username> View Post
As the Ladybird uses the same motors as my Ufo, just use your 0.4Ah cells, unless the blades can't provide enough lift, that is.

I use 0.4 and 0.5Ah cells in mine (11g) and I still see around 80 flights before motor failure.

Btw, does Walkera supply a 0.5A charger with this model without taking notice of the cell capacity as they always do?

I don't think it's supplied due to ineptitude, I just think it one of Walkeras numerous dirty tricks to make you prematurely buy more Lipos from them.

They supplied a 500mA charger with the Genius which uses 0.2Ah cells as standard. Idiots that they are.

If so, you're charging your stock cells at over 2C which wont do those cheap full river Lipos any good.
Batteries have changed and I don't think there are any that can't be charged safely at 2C.. I'm using a Walkera wall charger from maybe the CB100??
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old May 01, 2012, 09:37 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,026 Posts
Quote:
I just tried the AUX2 and Mix switch. Both these methods allow you to switch between modes at will without
having to rebind after switching from 6 axis mode to 3 axis mode one time like you have to using the FMD switch and gyro settings.

Tom
Tom,

We can still use FMD switch but the POS0 or POS2 gyro setting would have to be less than 35 not 50.

Regards.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old May 01, 2012, 09:53 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,026 Posts
Quote:
As the Ladybird uses the same motors as my Ufo, just use your 0.4Ah cells, unless the blades can't provide enough lift, that is.

I use 0.4 and 0.5Ah cells in mine (11g) and I still see around 80 flights before motor failure.

Btw, does Walkera supply a 0.5A charger with this model without taking notice of the cell capacity as they always do?

I don't think it's supplied due to ineptitude, I just think it one of Walkeras numerous dirty tricks to make you prematurely buy more Lipos from them.

They supplied a 500mA charger with the Genius which uses 0.2Ah cells as standard. Idiots that they are.

If so, you're charging your stock cells at over 2C which wont do those cheap full river Lipos any good.
I am not worrying about chargers. I have a couple of 500mA singles from my 4#6 and D02S. I chain up 1S's to change on 3S balance chargers too.

I just don't have spare batteries of that size. My old 400mah's were made from Zippies. Over time I could no longer solder onto the contacts and I have to screw some of the wires on. Screws and nuts add weight and they are that strong any more. At 12g+ each, the LB needs full throttle to lift off. I forgot to take off the canopy that could save about 1.4g.
Old May 01, 2012, 10:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
I am not worrying about chargers. I have a couple of 500mA singles from my 4#6 and D02S. I chain up 1S's to change on 3S balance chargers too.

I just don't have spare batteries of that size. My old 400mah's were made from Zippies. Over time I could no longer solder onto the contacts and I have to screw some of the wires on. Screws and nuts add weight and they are that strong any more. At 12g+ each, the LB needs full throttle to lift off. I forgot to take off the canopy that could save about 1.4g.
What are the dimensions of the blades on these Ladybirds? My Ufo has approx 3 inch diameter in total.

My slightly modded Ufo 8 (same motors) will run off a 11g 0.4Ah Lipo for around 8-9 mins.

The climbouts are very quick too.

Would be interesting to see the results from using larger blades on those (the Ladybird).
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 01, 2012, 10:54 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
Tom,

We can still use FMD switch but the POS0 or POS2 gyro setting would have to be less than 35 not 50.

Regards.
Quote:

Tom

I just tried that and it works! I can now switch back and forth between 6 axis and 3 axis modes as much as I want. Same thing for the AUX2 knob and the Mix switch setups.

I have updated my LB setup guide.

Thanks everyone for the help with this.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old May 01, 2012, 11:38 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,026 Posts
Quote:
What are the dimensions of the blades on these Ladybirds? My Ufo has approx 3 inch diameter in total.

My slightly modded Ufo 8 (same motors) will run off a 11g 0.4Ah Lipo for around 8-9 mins.

The climbouts are very quick too.

Would be interesting to see the results from using larger blades on those (the Ladybird).
The blades on the Ladybirds are about 55mm in diameter. I am not a plane guy and don't know what the pitch really is. I thought the UF0 8 is a lot bigger. Are you sure it uses the same motor. I suppose we would be using BL motors on bigger UFO. Is it an octal?

BTW, I actually tried the multiwii before. All the gryos and accelerometer work but they could not stand vibrations. I had too many wiring and could make it small to put it on a micro copter.

When going for a bigger size, I could not afford so many BL motors and ESC's plus a big battery and a good frame to make it vibration free.

I stopped after buying two sets of ESC, motor and blades, just enough to make a bi-copter or I can use the multiwii on a single rotor helicopter. It is still a project to finish. It was fun to DIY but buying the finished ladybird is a lot easier to get a taste of multicopters.

It is getting late. I'll sort out spares after. Good Night.
Old May 02, 2012, 08:52 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,223 Posts
Hi Tom, how does this ladybird fare in the wind outside, as compared to your MCPx?
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan
Old May 02, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,420 Posts
Quote:

Tom
Sweet! So no need to post my settings, then. As I mentioned before, a good thing about freeing the use of the FMOD switch is it allows you to set different throttle curves. On Norm, I run a linear TC from 0% on PL to 100% on PH. Then I have a steeper curve in ST 1 and even steeper in ST2 (linear from 0% on PL to 100% on P5). Mind you, I always fly it in ST2. I like a steep TC curve because I find it helps with recovery after a flip.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old May 02, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined May 2012
89 Posts
Hey, user name i have the same problem as you with the LB motor seized up.
I would appreciate any help you could give as to locate the mosfets from these pcbs and where you installed those quickblow 750mA fuses. thanks

Len
lent57 is offline Find More Posts by lent57
Old May 02, 2012, 09:48 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi Wasp,
I think the #8 is larger, but weigh very similar. The ufo#8 weighs 40gm with a 10c400mAh batt [~12gm of batt]. The motors are the same size can [maybe a different kv]. I think the B props will work on a #8. The motors on the #8 are geared down 6:1 to drive the rotors.
regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old May 02, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan View Post
Hi Tom, how does this ladybird fare in the wind outside, as compared to your MCPx?

Hi, I have flown in some mild wind and it did pretty good.
There is a YouTube video of a guy flying in 7/10 mph wind that had little to no effect on the mini quad.
Also there is a video by HeliPal.com flying the LB in strong winds.

Tom
Old May 02, 2012, 11:35 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
Hi Wasp,
I think the #8 is larger, but weigh very similar. The ufo#8 weighs 40gm with a 10c400mAh batt [~12gm of batt]. The motors are the same size can [maybe a different kv]. I think the B props will work on a #8. The motors on the #8 are geared down 6:1 to drive the rotors.
regards,
Bill
Bill,

Adding gears to direct drive won't be easy if we have to watch the weight as well.

My 400 Zippies are old and beaten up. I bought 4 for my FBL 4#6 long ago. One is dead and the other 3 all have screws and nuts on as they had little or no solderable tags left. The converter to mico dean adds another 0.8g. They are very marginal. If I get some new ones, they may be OK.

I have some solo pro 100 nano-tech's on back order from HK. They should be a good fit except for the polarity reversal. Just not sure when they would be restocked.

BTW, I was impressed by Tony's video:

Walkera QR LadyBird Quadcopter (2 min 13 sec)

It looked like the LadyBird was able to handle the wind way better than my FBL 4#6. That's why I ordered one to try.

I'll see how it works outside with only one battery.

Thanks.
Old May 02, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan View Post
Completely different mechanics at play. The way a quad works, it always tries to keep level so in strong wind, the LB wiggles quite a bit but it stays put and it retains its altitude much better than a small CP heli. It can cut through very strong wind with ease, too. The CP heli is much faster but it gets pushed around and it goes up and down a lot more. That's sums it up, I think.

Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old May 02, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
it always tries to keep level so in strong wind, the LB wiggles quite a bit but it stays put and it retains its altitude much better than a small CP heli. It can cut through very strong wind with ease, too.
Chris
I noticed that also. In wind the LB wiggles quite a bit but it stays put and it retains its altitude pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Sweet! So no need to post my settings, then. As I mentioned before, a good thing about freeing the use of the FMOD switch is it allows you to set different throttle curves. On Norm, I run a linear TC from 0% on PL to 100% on PH. Then I have a steeper curve in ST 1 and even steeper in ST2 (linear from 0% on PL to 100% on P5). Mind you, I always fly it in ST2. I like a steep TC curve because I find it helps with recovery after a flip.

Best,
Chris

Using the FMD for different throttle curves is a good idea, will have to try it.

Tom