SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:01 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Fair enough. Me? I had the choice between reviewing a HK 450 heli or a 450 quad. I chose the quad just because it's something new and interesting. My next project will be the HK 450 heli. For now, I have to put video tutorials on how to assemble this quad and connect all the electronics. Then I have to show videos of how it flies. Really looking forward to it.

Best,
Chris

Hi Chris,

After 5 years of reviewing helicopters I found it a nice change to fly and review a quad for the first time.
I would like to review a full size quad also sometime.

I look forward to your 450 quad review.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
Hi Chris,

After 5 years of reviewing helicopters I found it a nice change to fly and review a quad for the first time.
I would like to review a full size quad also sometime.

I look forward to your 450 quad review.

Tom

Hey Tom,

I should have everything here this week and I hope to build this on the weekend. Essentially, I have to build it, test it, then pull it apart and build it again while I make a tutorial for beginners on how to build it. I'm going to be using a Xcopter flight configuration, though, the build process is very much the same. I'll be posting the review and tutorial in the quad forum, and frankly, that's a bit humbling because there are many, many experts posting in that forum. Some of them own quads that cost more than twice what my car is worth!

Have you managed to get some flips in with the Ladybird yet? The LB will flip using only cyclic but as with other quads, it helps a lot with the recovery and with retaining altitude to ease on the throttle while inverted. Then you power it back up once you've come around full loop. It's a matter of timing it right and the small size of the LB makes it a bit tricky. I think flips will actually be easier with a big quad because it will be very easy to see the orientation. Regardless, I won't be attempting flips with the big quad until I'm done with the review. 3D flight videos will come AFTER the review is finished.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2012, 09:08 AM
Spain, CT, Barcelona
Joined Jan 2010
32 Posts
Hi Chris

Quote:
On the Devo 8, it's using the mix switch to go from 3 to 6 axis. The FMOD switch is working as usual. Other people have reported using the FMOD switch to switch fro 3 to 6 axis but for me that didn't work, which, to me, is better if I use the mix switch because I can then use the FMOD switch to program different throttle curves and D/R settings. It's more versatile that way, I think.

I have to say, though, I'm already getting bored with this bug. Not much skills required to flip it and roll it, and it doesn't have enough power to do big loops or inverted drops with last second recoveries. It simply doesn't have enough thrust for its own weight so it cannot perform as well as larger quads with brushless setups. It's a toy.

It's good to mess up with the cats and dogs around the house, though. I attach a cat toy to a string on mine and play with my cats. That's quite fun.

I'm waiting for parts to put together a 450 quad that will have almost three times more thrust than its own weight. Now that will be a whole other ball game...

Chris
Waiting for the LadyBird I want to show you my other little quads. Not a 450 (17 cm. and 22 cm.) but shure you can have more fun with them.

Next project in mind: replace the KK board with the bug RX on one of them?.

Regards,
Enrique.
quique65 is offline Find More Posts by quique65
Old May 01, 2012, 10:28 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Hey Tom,

I should have everything here this week and I hope to build this on the weekend. Essentially, I have to build it, test it, then pull it apart and build it again while I make a tutorial for beginners on how to build it. I'm going to be using a Xcopter flight configuration, though, the build process is very much the same. I'll be posting the review and tutorial in the quad forum, and frankly, that's a bit humbling because there are many, many experts posting in that forum. Some of them own quads that cost more than twice what my car is worth!

Have you managed to get some flips in with the Ladybird yet? The LB will flip using only cyclic but as with other quads, it helps a lot with the recovery and with retaining altitude to ease on the throttle while inverted. Then you power it back up once you've come around full loop. It's a matter of timing it right and the small size of the LB makes it a bit tricky. I think flips will actually be easier with a big quad because it will be very easy to see the orientation. Regardless, I won't be attempting flips with the big quad until I'm done with the review. 3D flight videos will come AFTER the review is finished.

Best,
Chris

Hey Chris,

Sounds good.
Some of the quads are very expensive! The most expensive one I have seen is $7,000.

I tried some flips when I first got it, it flips very easy. I have to figure out how to get out of the flip.
Like you said it is a matter of timing it right which I need more practice.

Walkera Ladybird QR - First flip attempt (0 min 8 sec)

Walkera Ladybird QR - Second flip attempt (0 min 9 sec)

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old May 01, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,119 Posts
Look on the bright side, flying over nice soft grass like this, it's hard to break the LB. Especially if you hit the THHLD switch on time or cut the throttle on time. I know you can flip a CP heli so you should have no problems flipping the LB with a bit more altitude. I have managed double flips with mine at high altitude.

I've seen a quad that was selling for 15K. Came with a gimbals that is set up on servos so it can move a camera in different angles at will during flight. It renders clear and stable footage even on very windy days. It's professional equipment. I'm actually surprised that these things aren't used more by pro photographers the like of those people who work for National Geographics and such. These things have huge potential.

At this point, I'm more interested in sports flying but I think I will eventually get into aerial photography because I find it very interesting.

quique65,

Very, very nice quads you have there, mate.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2012, 12:57 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
some of the high end AP quads are nearly autonomous. GPS way points and all. I imagine sat nav it there now.
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old May 01, 2012, 01:26 PM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
board size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblao View Post
Hola,
Could anyone measure the distance between the mounting holes of the board?,
Saludos and thanks on advance,
Jose
Bump
Doblao is offline Find More Posts by Doblao
Old May 01, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblao View Post
Bump
Why do you need this? Are you building your own frame for this control board?

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2012, 01:36 PM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
no

Quote:
Why do you need this? Are you building your own frame for this control board?

Chris
What Im building is my own control board for this frame...

Now that I've answered your question can You please answer mine?
Saludos,
Jose
Old May 01, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,119 Posts
Let me go measure it right now. Back at you in a few minutes.

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,119 Posts
The distance between the mounting holes on the board, from hole center to hole center is exactly 20mm. Or 2 cm if you prefer.

Keep us posted on your project, Sir. Sounds interesting.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2012, 01:56 PM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
thank you very much

Quote:
The distance between the mounting holes on the board, from hole center to hole center is exactly 20mm. Or 2 cm if you prefer.

Keep us posted on your project, Sir. Sounds interesting.

Best,
Chris
Can take a look into my blog to c hows the project evolving. Just click in my nick. The idea is make a similar board but compatible with any brand ...not only walkera. And brushed/brushless usage too. And able to work in any quad despite the size.
Saludos and keep having fun, and thanks for your time,
Jose
Old May 01, 2012, 04:51 PM
ladybird, miniCP, msrx, 4F180
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
Had a motor failure on the LB. It took off and the motor failed while I was hovering in the house. Tried to flip on me and didnt have any lift so it slammed into the coffee table. Nothing was hurt but a motor is siezed up pretty tight. Barely spins at all, got a couple motors on order now. This was odd the way it failed, throttled up on takeoff and then 1 sec later the motor was a goner. Its not easy to fly with only 3 working motors btw, lol.
afloyd82 is offline Find More Posts by afloyd82
Old May 01, 2012, 06:29 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,536 Posts
Hi Tom,

I just received my LB this afternoon. I have a question about switching between modes.

I have a devo 7. I followed your post using FMD switch and configured the model as HELI.

On powering up, the LED stayed red. LB was so stable, I suppose it was running at the 6 axis mode, i.e. with accelerometers on.

When I flipped the FMD switch the LED turned green, I felt less stabilization when I tilted it by hand.

Hence the mode switching kind of works.

However I cannot turn the LED back into red by flipping the FMD switch. I cannot only set it back to RED by power cycling the LB.

Is that normal or something wrong with my configuation?

Thanks.

OK, figured that out by using the good old way , i. e.the analog AUX2 knob instead. (AUX2 = AUX2, AUX2 = ACT).

The LED would turn green at about +30 on a scale of -100 to +100 (translated to 65 on a scale of 0 to 100).
The LED would turn red at about -30 on a scale of -100 to +100 (tranlated to 35 on a scale of 0 to 100).

The default setting of 50 on POS0 FMD was just not low enough to switch back to red.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Last edited by Wasp09; May 01, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old May 01, 2012, 07:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Look on the bright side, flying over nice soft grass like this, it's hard to break the LB. Especially if you hit the THHLD switch on time or cut the throttle on time. I know you can flip a CP heli so you should have no problems flipping the LB with a bit more altitude. I have managed double flips with mine at high altitude.

I've seen a quad that was selling for 15K. Came with a gimbals that is set up on servos so it can move a camera in different angles at will during flight. It renders clear and stable footage even on very windy days. It's professional equipment. I'm actually surprised that these things aren't used more by pro photographers the like of those people who work for National Geographics and such. These things have huge potential.

At this point, I'm more interested in sports flying but I think I will eventually get into aerial photography because I find it very interesting.

quique65,

Very, very nice quads you have there, mate.

Best,
Chris
Don't know who else uses them, but here in the UK the Police use Quads with cameras at football matches to spot criminals.

Seen them used on a few occasions and I think they're a great idea.

I regularly get pulled up just messing with my toy Walkera quad with people asking if I'm a Pig, especially while just hovering around at 100ft high.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Last edited by Username>; May 01, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)