HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
Cannot imagine Ladybird is so small but still can carries a DV to takes aerial video. At first I made a Y cable to share the Ladybird battery, it worked well but a bit messy at the bottom. Now I made another cable to connect the battery connector on 808 cam to Camera DC port on Ladybird. The left two pins which is controlled by Gear Switch on TX does not has enough voltage to power up the 808 cam so I changed to use right two pins which are normal DC output pins. However the shutdown voltage of 808 cam is higher than Ladybird, even I use 400mAh 25C battery to power up both of them but only can takes video at first 3 mins of flight, if use 240mAh battery, the cam shutdown almost instant when giving throttle to hover.
pauliu is offline Find More Posts by pauliu
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 12:14 PM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Maximum FPV range revealed

Nice work Paul, you could break the barrier of 3mins recording by using the tiny 5v step-up called the LVboost from DimensionEngineering. The smaller weight saving with the addition of the LVboost is still a good-to-have since every gram counts for the LB brushed motors.

I had been asking about the LB's radio range here and on YouTube before I ordered my LB, but apparently no one did a range check since the LB's orientation would be barely visible at 35m and any extra range would be considered redundant.
However, as I would be flying my LB in FPV, a range check is necessary. I just got back home from doing the range check a while ago and have to admit that it's quite a chore. No wonder no one was keen to help me do a range check out of the blue.

Basically, I placed the transmitter on a mux box besides the traffic light where I could see it and I walked away from it with the LB. The LED started to flicker at 310 paces away which was approximately 180m with a couple of trees slightly blocking the line of sight. I could probably push it to 200m since the aerial reception would be better at an open field. Not too bad for an ultra micro FPV quad!
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan
Old May 16, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,135 Posts
180m is not to bad for that size quad. What TX are you using and did you have the output set to the max settings?

Best,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan View Post
Basically, I placed the transmitter on a mux box besides the traffic light where I could see it and I walked away from it with the LB. The LED started to flicker at 310 paces away which was approximately 180m with a couple of trees slightly blocking the line of sight. I could probably push it to 200m since the aerial reception would be better at an open field. Not too bad for an ultra micro FPV quad!
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old May 16, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my LADYBIRD QR. quick question, i am using 8 rechargeable Energizer batteries in the Devo 7 TX. I've read both that you can, and I've read that you can't, plug the recharge cord for the energizer batteries directly into the Devo 7 to charge the batteries without constantly removing them (which is a pain). The cord does fit perfectly into the TX. On the cord it says:
Energizer AC/DC Power adapter
Model CH15MM-ADP
Input: AC/CA 120V--60Hz 85W
Output: DC/CC 16V=4A
Class 2 Power Unit

Its the normal rechargeable batteries that you get form walmart, target, etc. the box that the cord would normally plug into (the box that holds the 4 batteries that it charges) says DC 11-16V INPUT. Using this plug would be a lot better than taking out and charging 4 batteries at a time, but i do not want to damage my Devo. I don't know much about electronics. Do you know if I can safely use this cord to charge the batteries while they remain in my Devo 7 TX?
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Old May 16, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoneo View Post
I absolutely LOVE my LADYBIRD QR. quick question, i am using 8 rechargeable Energizer batteries in the Devo 7 TX. I've read both that you can, and I've read that you can't, plug the recharge cord for the energizer batteries directly into the Devo 7 to charge the batteries without constantly removing them (which is a pain). The cord does fit perfectly into the TX. On the cord it says:
Energizer AC/DC Power adapter
Model CH15MM-ADP
Input: AC/CA 120V--60Hz 85W
Output: DC/CC 16V=4A
Class 2 Power Unit

Its the normal rechargeable batteries that you get form walmart, target, etc. the box that the cord would normally plug into (the box that holds the 4 batteries that it charges) says DC 11-16V INPUT. Using this plug would be a lot better than taking out and charging 4 batteries at a time, but i do not want to damage my Devo. I don't know much about electronics. Do you know if I can safely use this cord to charge the batteries while they remain in my Devo 7 TX?
I also heard something bad about charging using DC adapter on Devo. I use 4 Eneloop rechargeable batteries on my Devo 8s, I ever tried to use a DC adapter to charge the battery inside, however the charging is extremely slow and stay at 4/5 never finish, finally I gave up and use external charger.

There is an option called Power Amp (AMPLI) in Model Menu which can reduces the signal power of Devo, I am using lowest value, I can have longer operation time for each charge and still can control Ladybird within visible distance.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan View Post
Nice work Paul, you could break the barrier of 3mins recording by using the tiny 5v step-up called the LVboost from DimensionEngineering. The smaller weight saving with the addition of the LVboost is still a good-to-have since every gram counts for the LB brushed motors.

I had been asking about the LB's radio range here and on YouTube before I ordered my LB, but apparently no one did a range check since the LB's orientation would be barely visible at 35m and any extra range would be considered redundant.
However, as I would be flying my LB in FPV, a range check is necessary. I just got back home from doing the range check a while ago and have to admit that it's quite a chore. No wonder no one was keen to help me do a range check out of the blue.

I also want to try FPV on LB with 1 gram cam + TX combo, but I think it is difficult to fly without some OSD information such as levels and speed indicator.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
i created a second profile name and changed the 3g from the Aux2 to the mix. my LB was flying funny so i deleted the second name and changed the 3d back to Aux2 using the instructions that i originally used when it was working fine. now the ladybug is not connecting with the TX at all. ive tried everything i know. any suggestions?
Old May 17, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,135 Posts
Quote:
i created a second profile name and changed the 3g from the Aux2 to the mix. my LB was flying funny so i deleted the second name and changed the 3d back to Aux2 using the instructions that i originally used when it was working fine. now the ladybug is not connecting with the TX at all. ive tried everything i know. any suggestions?
Try running fixed ID. If that doesn't work, use your bind plug.

Good luck!

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 17, 2012, 01:44 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
180m is not to bad for that size quad. What TX are you using and did you have the output set to the max settings?

Best,
Chris
Chris, I'm using the North American Devo7, with the transmission set to maximum power.
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan
Old May 17, 2012, 12:04 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
I have greatttt news!
Well not actually news, I just haven't posted it on here till now cos I'm lazy AND busy...
but Walkera has other multicopters coming out real soon (These are ALL flying examples)

ANYWAYS, can you imagine the maintenance bill on these things? a little overkill I think..but the more the merrier I guess!
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
something about the new multi copters compared to the lady bird.... they lack character?
i am interested to see how the tricopter (or would it be hexicopter?) performs as a result of its design...

thanks for the update mr schen! hopefully they will not be super expensive
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old May 17, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
I have greatttt news!
Well not actually news, I just haven't posted it on here till now cos I'm lazy AND busy...
but Walkera has other multicopters coming out real soon (These are ALL flying examples)

ANYWAYS, can you imagine the maintenance bill on these things? a little overkill I think..but the more the merrier I guess!
Ouch... Long booms one the hexa... That's going to bring about lots of maintenance/repairs, indeed. Easily broken. And inverted props on the tri... Also one you don't want to crash, though, the booms are much thicker. That part will be stronger.

Thanks for posting, Mr. Chen.

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old May 17, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
i used the binding plug but for some reason i needed to use it every time to bind. i used the fixed id as requested by helipal customer service and it binded once for about 15 seconds then disconnected. since then i have not been able to get it to bind at all. I've tried the bind cord again several times, creating new models, etc and nothing seems to be working. just a fast flashing red light. it honestly worked better without the fixed ID on. I'm going to turn it off and use the binding cord again? any other suggestions. when i got it i flew it all day with no problems. a couple of crashes but all in high grass.
Old May 17, 2012, 04:14 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
something about the new multi copters compared to the lady bird.... they lack character?
i am interested to see how the tricopter (or would it be hexicopter?) performs as a result of its design...

thanks for the update mr schen! hopefully they will not be super expensive
I think the double tricopter is called Y6. It does not require a tail servo to tilt the tail motor, as we have counter rotating prop's there.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old May 17, 2012, 05:02 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
i used the binding plug but for some reason i needed to use it every time to bind. i used the fixed id as requested by helipal customer service and it binded once for about 15 seconds then disconnected. since then i have not been able to get it to bind at all. I've tried the bind cord again several times, creating new models, etc and nothing seems to be working. just a fast flashing red light. it honestly worked better without the fixed ID on. I'm going to turn it off and use the binding cord again? any other suggestions. when i got it i flew it all day with no problems. a couple of crashes but all in high grass.
for some crazy reason my mini cp did that last night. i changed the battery out with another one and it worked. weird eh? just be sure to turn the tx first and then the heli. then turn off the heli and then the tx.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter