HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 10:33 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
LB Firmware Update

I just saw this post.
There is a firmware update for the Ladybird QR.
We need to purchase a UP02 and UP02 adaptor though to update the RX firmware.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=401

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
I just saw this post.
There is a firmware update for the Ladybird QR.
We need to purchase a UP02 and UP02 adaptor though to update the RX firmware.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=401

Tom
I bet the difference is insignificant. Just a ploy to sell adapters, probably. The update is probably just flashing a slightly different firmware with very little difference. I'd definitely wait to hear feedback for those who buy the adapter and go ahead with this before spending the money. Just my 2 cents.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old May 11, 2012, 11:27 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
I think Chris meant a bigger quad. There are control broads with accelerometers too.

As you said, it may be a safety risk if the quad gets too big. The advantage of bigger quads is payload. They aren't cheap, 4 x (motors + ESC + blades) plus a lot of big batteries. If you can do FPV with just a few grams on the ladybird, why not.

I am interested to know what you use for receiving the video.

Have fun.
Yep, Chris also has a good point on the longer flight times on big quads.
I have seen the Naza and the KK boards in action. The KK is a good platform for 3D while the Naza is good for aerial photography. The Naza even has an 'auto-land' feature where the quad descends slowly from the sky and touches down so gently.
However, the LB has the 'anti-flip' feature, which most people on this thread don't need, and naturally the first thing that comes to mind is trying to make the LED turn to green from red. This is the feature I desire most for FPV.. it makes it dummy proof.. I mean with this function, you could just look into the camera's view (first person view), aim for where you wanna go and simply push the cyclic stick all the way to get there. To apply the 'brakes', just release the stick to neutral.

One of the versions of the Heli Command auto-hover/stabilizer has this feature but it comes in a bulky package, and I'm not sure how to set it up on a quad copter.

For the video feed, I'm using a FoxTech AIO goggles to watch the video and fly the LB in FPV realtime. This a short clip of my nerdy ground station.
McpX - FPV Outdoor Flight (2 min 50 sec)

And the FPV gear had already been removed from the mcpX heli in the video and it was lightened a bit more by trimming down all the wires. I took a pic of its weight on the digi scale without the battery below. I had taped the FPV gear to the LB for a trial flight a while ago, and was happy to see the LB able to climb pretty fast and agile with this load.

Next, I gotta figure how all these goodies will fit properly on the LB.
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan
Last edited by terencechan; May 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:55 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,093 Posts
Terence.

Thanks. It is impressive.

My LB would keep sliding along a bit when the cyclic stick is returned to neutral. I have to tap the stick a bit in the opposite direction for air brake. However it is easy to bring the LB back to stationary again, definitely nothing like rolling a marble in your palm as in other regular single rotors. Perhaps it is also a matter of stabilization gain setting on the RX. Try a different setting if the default is not what you like.

Mode switching is performed through the AUX2 (gyro gain) channel on devo 7. Anything above 65% would set LB to level mode (RED) and anything below 35% would set to flip mode (GREEN). In between 35% and 65% LB would keep the existing mode.

Happy FPV'ing.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old May 11, 2012, 08:14 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,290 Posts
Wasp is right, this thing is very stable but requires opposite stick to return to a neutral attitude. For reference, those with 2402D transmitters- if you need to switch gyro modes, push your throttle to max, plug in the Ladybird's battery then wait for the red and green lights on the board to flash. Now move the elevator stick up and down a few times and the board should indicate the mode switch with a solid green light.
Then lower the throttle and you are all set to go! Happy flippin'!
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 08:35 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,093 Posts
Oops, I forgot about flipping it altogether. I'll try next time.

The sun was very low and it was really difficult to tell its orientation when it got a bit away from me.

I had difficulty in finding it when it landed far away into the grass. I almost stepped onto it.

Perhaps I'll find some kind of beeper or beacon to attach on.

Happy flying.
Last edited by Wasp09; May 11, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
Oops, I forgot about flipping it altogether. I'll try next time.

The sun was very low and it was really difficult to tell its orientation when it got a bit away from me.

I had difficulty in finding it when it landed far away into the grass. I almost stepped onto it.

Perhaps I'll find some kind of beeper or bacon to attach on.

Happy flying.
attaching bacon sounds like a great idea, should be no problem finding it, especialy in the morning when you are nice and hungry.

just kidding man, i know you meant beacon. couldnt help but imagine a piece of bacon rubber banded to the bird though.
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old May 11, 2012, 09:08 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
attaching bacon sounds like a great idea, should be no problem finding it, especialy in the morning when you are nice and hungry.

just kidding man, i know you meant beacon. couldnt help but imagine a piece of bacon rubber banded to the bird though.
I really have bad eyes. The birds have better eyes would find it for me.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:42 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,223 Posts
Phew! It took a while but I'm done at last. The LB "UAV Drone" is born!

Hmm, now I need to buy some 2g-70mah hyperion 1S. I could fly it using a 4g 150mah turnigy 1S to power the camera and video transmitter but the motors sounded heavy (total baggage was about 9.5g). So it seems that the LB is happy with a baggage <= 7g.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,543 Posts
Wow... This is cool. VERY cool! Looks awesome, Terrence. Excellent work.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old May 12, 2012, 06:08 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,655 Posts
Wow Terrence, that's amazing work fitting all that on the Ladybird, and awesome equipments you have in your Batcase! I always thought FPV was recording-only on micros. I had no idea that you could real-time fly FPV with fancy goggles on!
Don't be shy posting pics and vids of your build Yodasan, as my Ladybird is still @least week away... sadly.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old May 12, 2012, 07:03 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Can do some hardcore spying with that setup =)
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old May 12, 2012, 07:58 AM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan View Post

Hmm, now I need to buy some 2g-70mah hyperion 1S. I could fly it using a 4g 150mah turnigy 1S to power the camera and video transmitter but the motors sounded heavy (total baggage was about 9.5g). So it seems that the LB is happy with a baggage <= 7g.
girls next door watch out, theres a lady bug outside your window.
seriously though, that is an awesome setup, good job.
seriously though, glad i dont live next door to you.

quick question, is this a live feed camera? or a recorder?
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old May 12, 2012, 09:34 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan View Post

Well done!.

I've tried AUW of 45g with my 750mAH nano-tech battery. It could take off but was way too heavy.

I still only have one and half good battery to use, the stock plus a 130mAH V911 battery.

BTW, I tried flipping this morning. The first time it did a two and three quarters, crash landed.

I'll need some spare blades if I flip it too often.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:17 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
girls next door watch out, theres a lady bug outside your window.
seriously though, that is an awesome setup, good job.
seriously though, glad i dont live next door to you.

quick question, is this a live feed camera? or a recorder?
LOL* the ladies would find it cute I'm sure but wait until they see the camera lens staring

you could call it a live feed camera as it is connected to a video transmitter. video is previewed in real-time on the video receiver's end. The receiver's video output is spliced to a video goggles for me to pilot the LB and an SD card recorder that records the footage. This is the link to the recorder.