HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:33 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Question
Silver metallic paint affect reception?

Hi all,

I'm new to painting my planes- I have some epo foam planes I'd like to experiment painting - my favorite color is a metallic silver finish- I got a rust-oleum silver metallic finish rattle spray can and tested it on some spare epo foam- doesn't eat the foam but wondered if spraying my plane's entire airframe will cause major reception issues- one of the planes in question is my first fpv platform, and of course fpv has enough complications as it is with radio interference and reception...

Thanks for your feedback in advance

Justin
TheSelf is offline Find More Posts by TheSelf
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:59 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,267 Posts
Paint up a cardboard or PVC pipe. Stuff your RX, battery and a servo in it and do a range test. I would cap both ends to give a worst case test. Might need a helper to listen for the servo operation to go bonkers or stop all together.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:53 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
Paint up a cardboard or PVC pipe. Stuff your RX, battery and a servo in it and do a range test. I would cap both ends to give a worst case test. Might need a helper to listen for the servo operation to go bonkers or stop all together.

Ken
Thanks for the tip Ken- I might use a destroyed airframe, seal it up and spray with the paint as an experiment once I'm done with my other projects
TheSelf is offline Find More Posts by TheSelf
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:27 PM
Garry
Tumble weed country Eastern Washington
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
I have a plane sprayed with Dupli Color silver metalic lacquer, Fuse is painted, wing is silver aluminum Monokote. I am using 2.4 with no antenna on the out side of plane. I am not having any trouble with signal loss.
crash-rc is offline Find More Posts by crash-rc