HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:34 PM
Alexandria, VA (Washington DC)
Joined Jan 2007
359 Posts
Discussion
kp bikes or tt sb5 pro

which is faster for racing, kp bikes or tt sb5 pro?
thanks.
poochy is offline Find More Posts by poochy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:14 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
935 Posts
neither are faster than the other for racing. both are very good bikes...if your in the united states though i would recommend the SB-5 because parts are availible and easy to find..Its what most ppl are running now and it is a very capable bike plus cheap to repair and hop-up etc...I do like the new KP but for me its more of an exotic bike for the seasoned veteran.
dragbikebam is offline Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Last edited by dragbikebam; Apr 17, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:27 AM
Alton
Joined Apr 2007
32 Posts
Personally I would go for a KP over the SB5, I'm not convinced that there is much difference in the ultimate performance of each design but I would say that the KP is a much easier bike to drive on the limit. I have owned an SB5 for a short while but I found it to be very unstable in the corners when you push it hard on a track, any disturbance such as touching the curb on the apex of a corner with the scratchbar would frequently result in a crash. Most people who have raced the SB5 here in the UK quite quickly switched to a KP for the same reason that I gave up on it.
I understand that alot of these problems can be solved by replacing some of the suspension components to reduce the excessive flex but after doing all of this it will end up costing a fair bit more then the new KP which just needs a bit a ballast on the front end to make it handle better.
Matt18 is offline Find More Posts by Matt18
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:58 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
935 Posts
I can say the same thing about my NF509, its really stable in turns and can easily drift and cut up as such where as the SB-5 is timid and not as much confidence to really push harder than you have to. I think most of it has to do with the SB-5 being ultra light weight and un-balanced (which can be ratified) compared to the 509R or KP bikes. I do believe the SB-5 can and will get there, we are comparing a $275 bike to a couple of $700-$800 bikes equipped so there is your difference .Pound for pound SB-5 because it just keeps going unless you hit a solid object. If you got the money and you know how to drive a bike well, get the KP., I'm sure it will not disappoint you. I'm really looking forward to hear what people have to say about the KP12. Very interesting set up on that new bike and i like it. I hope there are no belt issues with it
Last edited by dragbikebam; Apr 18, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:18 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,754 Posts
Off topic...just wanted to say to Matt, that I have some pics of your bike as background on my computer desktop, and Im not even a street guy!
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
Alton
Joined Apr 2007
32 Posts
Out of curiosity which generation of the bike is it?
Matt18 is offline Find More Posts by Matt18
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:31 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,754 Posts
Matt, I sent you a message so to avoid being off topic.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:13 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,494 Posts
I DONT GET IT... The KP bike is soooooo expensive AND it does not come with front break, body, rider, tires/rims, drive system. rip off seems to me for the ttotal price no normal RC entheusiast can afford it. So "money " wins.
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:05 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev71H View Post
I DONT GET IT... The KP bike is soooooo expensive AND it does not come with front break, body, rider, tires/rims, drive system. rip off seems to me for the ttotal price no normal RC entheusiast can afford it. So "money " wins.
KP is not made in mass production like sb5 but rather small quantities by a small company who knows about race bikes. nice bike and the price is not that bad for what your getting. IMO the sb5 needs alloy wheels,tires and brake also putting it on the $500 range as a roller. Any top level bike is going to have atleast $1000-$1500 before its all over with.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:58 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
I agree, I have well over 1000 in my SB5 as a working Roller. I dont believe i went to far into aftermarket stuff really. But if i had a chance to do it all again (509e Pro) What a nice bike. I love my SB5 dont get me wrong. If i was invited to the worlds for any reason, i would be seriously considering another bike for that event. I just cant beat the durability of my SB5, i have put it through test after test. I would be nervous to start over with such a nice bike and not know what the bike could take for a hit.
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:50 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 621clay View Post
I agree, I have well over 1000 in my SB5 as a working Roller. I dont believe i went to far into aftermarket stuff really. But if i had a chance to do it all again (509e Pro) What a nice bike. I love my SB5 dont get me wrong. If i was invited to the worlds for any reason, i would be seriously considering another bike for that event. I just cant beat the durability of my SB5, i have put it through test after test. I would be nervous to start over with such a nice bike and not know what the bike could take for a hit.
You don't have to be invited Clay, we just need to go. personally I like the 509 but man it is nerve racking racing because it is such an expensive bike. I took mine out to a track last weekend and it did very well, no damage after a few hard licks other than the usual scratches. I slammed my sb5 many many times into the steel railing and of just kept going, no surprise there.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:28 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Think Marino shed some light on the price tag of a properly setup sb5. But you can read here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1662774
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:32 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
I Think Marino shed some light on the price tag of a properly setup sb5 as compared to the more $$$$$$ bikes. But you can read here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1662774
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
If i had the money to go... i think i would just move. Our Gov. is been making me trip a little lately lol.
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:32 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
775 Posts
Look at it this way until the engineering of the Sb5 came out all bikes where much slower around a track, wider and not as durable. Once the Sb5 came on the scene it changed the direction of designing rc bikes. All manufactures of bikes and individuals who design there own bikes are taking the engineering of the Sb5 and building from there. All the new bikes spawn from the geometry base of the Sb, they all look like the Sb. The new brake technology came from the Sb's simple design. You guys also are not taking into account the Sb was made from a stand point of being affordable and mass produced. The Sb5 in itself is historical in taking Rc bikes to a whole new level. Since the induction of the Sb5 All designs from that point are better because of it. Yes you have to do some things to the Sb for it to perform better, you have to do that with all bikes. Too bad the Rc Bike Industry is not like the 1:1 bike manufactures. Every year they look at each other's bikes performance and the next year they build a better bike to beat out the comp. Each year the bikes just keep getting better and better. I would pick the Sb and evolve with it Ed Winter have some good tips for it.
DLAWW is offline Find More Posts by DLAWW