SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2003, 09:59 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
Yippee!
B2 Stealth bomber seen in Oz!

There I was sitting in the post office / shop here in our village when all of a sudden there was this B2 bomber coming straight for me, courtesy of the courier

I won't start the build for a couple of days, too much on, but here are some sneak peeks at the new GWS B2 with EDF55 fans. The quality of this pre-release is excellent. Nice foam, not the old A10 brittle stuff but the same as the PT17 etc. I can't comment on the manual (what manual) as it was not available yet. Packing in the flip open pizza box was very good, everything taped down and secure.

I'll be using 2s1p etech 1200 lipo power, an ICS300, GW-R6N RX and micro servos. I think I'll be fitting the landing gear to allow ROG. Judging by the weight this thing should go like a rocket.

Picture to follow...

Ingmar
imeins is offline Find More Posts by imeins
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:01 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:03 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
last one..
Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:45 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Congrats that you received GWS B2!

Thanks your lovely wife too. I believe most other Ezoners envoy you.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Oct 27, 2003, 12:33 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,659 Posts
Way cool! I can't wait for the build and flight report.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Oct 27, 2003, 01:18 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
Only one minor point there Mr Lin.... I have not told her yet

It's my birthday in a few weeks so I'll tell her that the B2 and the Easy Bug I have on the way are my present. Age 40 is worth two models surely

Thanks for the early sample too, it is much appreciated.

I've just asked Monica to contact R&D and get me the CofG figure. I don't have that yet so I won't be able to balance it correctly.

Ingmar
Last edited by imeins; Oct 27, 2003 at 01:20 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 01:44 AM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
You SOB how did you scam that???

as Australia is ahead of the world i vote we get first dibs on new release, that way if we know ther coming we can have flight reports done while the USA is still in noddy land
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
Old Oct 27, 2003, 02:19 AM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
I am an early bird too and had settled down for a wait... BUT NOW!!!! I want it today! Have checked the mail five times this afternoon.... That looks awesome. Does it have any vertical fin area at all? I have been trying to see if there was a clear fin or such but it looks like there isn't.
J.E. Johnson is offline Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
Old Oct 27, 2003, 02:50 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
Sorry Woodsy and Dammit - it's not a "normal" early bird release yet. There just happened to be a hand made sample available from the R&D crew. I think the production run is just around the corner though so you should not have a long wait.

I have not unpacked all the accessories yet. From the illustrated manual (i.e. no text at all just the pictures going into the manual) I don't recall seeing a vertical fin. I'll have a harder look this evening after I finish softening up the wife.

Woodsy - I'm not telling !!

Ingmar
Old Oct 27, 2003, 05:10 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
I thought a what the heck and I've started the build. I've cut and hinged the inboard section of the elevons. This was straight forward using the normal plastic hinge material supplied in GWS kits. I have used three equidistantly spaced hinges on each elevon.

This picture shows the hinged elevon in place.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 05:14 AM
sardis,bc
Joined Sep 2003
502 Posts
hhmmmm,flight reviews will be cool!
CRASH GORDON is offline Find More Posts by CRASH GORDON
Old Oct 27, 2003, 05:15 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
The next step is to cut and hinge the outboard elevons which are on the wing extensions that you need to attach yourself. Again the hinging is no problem. The kit comes with some clear plastic parts, the large piece is for the bottom of the equipment bay, the strange looking rib shaped two are for joining the two elevon sections together (!!!). As for the two triangles..... I have not found a home for them yet !

It appears the wing extensions have some dihedral but I'm not sure of the amount, just awaiting an answer from GWS on that.

Ingmar
Old Oct 27, 2003, 05:18 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
The plastic bits!
Old Oct 27, 2003, 06:04 AM
Where's the CA?
Long Island, NY
Joined Sep 2003
727 Posts
Looks nice. Going with the standard black paint job?
Mindblade is offline Find More Posts by Mindblade
Old Oct 27, 2003, 05:10 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
I'm not sure on paint work yet. All black seems a shame ! I will probably do a vary dark gray with some highlights to identify it. I know that won't help the stealthy appearance but I have to be able to see it !

I just did a quick weigh in and motor run up. Weight without batteries but including all other gear is about 350g. For the run up I used a 2s1p etech 1200 lipo pack. Hmm.... I think I will need to go 2s2p, draws heaps of current, wiring from esc to y harness is pretty warm even after only 30 seconds. I did not put the meter on it but I will later. I think I will also upgrade the standard wiring harness etc to allow for the high loads.

With the EDF55 this bird is a lot heavier than the original design based on the EDF50. Flying weight using lipo will be about 470g !! I hope these babies produce a lot of thrust !

Ingmar