SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Lobe_DethFaurt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:46 AM
Lover of fine cheeses
United States, IN, Mauckport
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Discussion
Of crashes and landings...

I think I figured something out. It's definitely not earth-shattering news, but I thought it was cool.

So, there I was, flying my Super Cub around my property, and my mind began to wander a bit. See, something that has been troubling me for some time is the plethora of people who seem to crash their cubs. That, and those who have trouble landing them. It occurred to me that some, perhaps even most, of the people who crash their cubs are at RC clubs. Could the cause be not necessarily the pilot, but maybe the others at the club? The HZ Super Cub is probably the most popular trainer, and so is most likely flown by beginners. Therefore, the logical conclusion is that they are going to be crashed. However, I am not talking about pilot error, I am talking about nervous noob pilots crashing because they are overly conscious of those spectating. Perhaps even heckling. I know it can be nerve racking flying in front of an audience: my worst wreck happened in front of several friends and family members. While it was pilot error on my part, the nerves may have led to the error.

Next is landing. Yes, I know that the HZ Super Cub is much easier to land than the bigger planes, but perhaps some of those who have difficulty is because they are flying at a club and can't practice landings four or five times in a single battery. I can't say for certain, but it makes sense. From what I have read, when flying at a club, most people will stay up for most of the battery, landing only when they have to. I guess that is the advantage of having one's own landing strip in their yard. I can take off (hand-launch only, unfortunately), fly a loop, and then come in for a landing a minute later if I want. I don't have to call out my landings, I don't have to worry about other craft, and I don't have to worry about other pilots telling me that I'm doing it all wrong.

Any more, I try to do two landings per charge. Sometimes I will land 30 seconds after launch. Actually, between you and me, the landing is my favorite part! I like to rate my landings. So far, my best is a 7.5 (out of 10).

I have never been to a club, but I have read quite a few stories about them. Needless to say, I don't regret living over 50 miles away from the nearest flying field. But why would I go anywhere else when my field is perfect? The only hecklers I have are the birds!

Peace...
Lobe_DethFaurt is offline Find More Posts by Lobe_DethFaurt
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:51 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
You know, I am an AMA member, and I do fly at the club field, but mostly I fly by myself simply because I FPV which is not so easy to do at a club site . Regardless of which I do agree with your points on why crashes can occur at a club field, however it's also quite nice to be able to go and see other planes fly, as well as fly with others, and get advice, parts, etc .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:40 AM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Yeah, it would be nice to be able to go to a club, if only to watch others fly. I would love to see the other aircraft. It would also be nice to be able to chat with others in the hobby. I have actually been in discussions with my wife about opening my own club in the area. However, I suspect this is only a pipe dream...oh well.

Peace
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobe_DethFaurt View Post
Yeah, it would be nice to be able to go to a club, if only to watch others fly. I would love to see the other aircraft. It would also be nice to be able to chat with others in the hobby. I have actually been in discussions with my wife about opening my own club in the area. However, I suspect this is only a pipe dream...oh well.

Peace
You should start one! It's not that hard, and RCG here has a feature to see who is close to you so you could easily correspond with others in your area to get it going!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:01 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
You should start one!
I would, but it would take money that I don't have. I would want about 60-80 acres of flat land. I would like to have both a grass and possibly a geotile runway as well. An area for helis, 3D, etc. An area for spectators, a snack Booth, restrooms, perhaps even free Wi-Fi. It would be a heckle-free zone (strictly enforced), thereby more new-pilot friendly. It would also be out in the middle of nowhere, meaning less problems with noise pollution controls. Maybe even have a trainer come down once or twice a week. Great idea, I know...and expensive. Any takers?

Peace
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
ROFL, yes that would take some money :P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:00 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
ROFL, yes that would take some money :P
Yes, it would...I've been doing a bit of research, and it doesn't look like it would be profitable enough to get a business loan. It would be nice, though. I mean, who wouldn't go out of their way to visit such a place? A nice, clean family-friendly facility... I would offer battery charging service free to members. I would also have a limited stock of RC items, such as tools, batteries and chargers/accessories, and adhesive supplies. A small workroom for those who have landing issues would also be available to members.

Perhaps eventually expand into RC racing on the same land. Have a couple of tracks, dirt and otherwise, maybe an open area for just driving around...

Peace