JayNZ is offline Find More Posts by JayNZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNZ View Post
why not just order direct?
they want $220 plus shipping and aerodyne it's $160.
buddertoast is offline Find More Posts by buddertoast
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
is it V2? Ie, new damper system? if not, then dont bother buying it and pay the extra for the newer model. long term peace of mind.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
is it V2? Ie, new damper system? if not, then dont bother buying it and pay the extra for the newer model. long term peace of mind.
not sure... will have to call and ask
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddertoast View Post
not sure... will have to call and ask
Hey bud, i attached my new head yesterday and spooled her up. ive got some bad news for you bro. Even though its the V2, Young Still hasnt been advised that the center scew hole on the new V2 hubs is once again, poorly machined, and the center hole is drilled on a slight angle, making my air sensor spin off axis, so i scrapped the whole idea of using it for the apache, and will put it on the blackhawk for the time being.

So dude, My humble apologies for recommending the product for this specific build. you are going to have the wobbly airsensor issue all over again. I thought young would have spotted this flaw, but he hasnt so ive bought it to his attention. you can see at the start of this thread, i had the same problem with the V1, and sent it to a friend who works at the RNZAF engineering dept and had to have the center hub re tapped and drilled. i sincerely apologize for endorsing something for your build that could end up costing you more time and money.

If you have any kind of engineering facility nearby, take it to them, they can put it in a lathe and re-tap a hole on the correct angle, Because honestly, i swear by the actual functionality of the head. (my mate did it for a box of beers - try a pal first) set up on the v2 is so much easier, you just need to make sure all your linkage rods are the same length, and then you and just loosen the phase arm locking screw and swivel the blade grip around inside it to achieve perfect 0 pitch on each blade, which i thought was very cool. (you need a digital pitch gauge for achieving perfect zero.)

Funnily enough, even when the sensor was spinning off axis at full throttle hover, it did not translate into vibration thoughout the heli. And another thing i noticed and that theres really not much difference in flight characteristics of the V1 head or the V2 head, So ive just added the V2 phase arms, to the V1 head, and creates myself a V1.5. only difference is the dampers.

ill let you know what young says and get back to you. dont blame you for looking elsewhere though.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:16 AM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Well that sucks...... Does it work fine without the apache sensor. I mean is the hub not centered were the main shaft goes in?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddertoast View Post
Well that sucks...... Does it work fine without the apache sensor. I mean is the hub not centered were the main shaft goes in?
Nah, the head is perfect, it's just the center screw hole in the top the dome screws into.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Hey bud,

Young from double cats has just got back to me and said they will make a new batch of hubs with a perfectly drilled center hole for the air sensor to screw into, he said one or two months max, ive told him to hollar at you. good luck.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Hey bud,

Young from double cats has just got back to me and said they will make a new batch of hubs with a perfectly drilled center hole for the air sensor to screw into, he said one or two months max, ive told him to hollar at you. good luck.
thanks man... I hope he does.. My apache has been on hold for awhile now. Still waiting on Kin to send me some bearing replacements for his toque tube. I hope he does. these bearings are just shot. So notchy. What causes brand new bearings to be notchy?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Jay,

You get your heli in the air yet?
Just got my flares, top sensor and the sensor that goes on the turbine. The material for these are really delicate plastic. Pretty expensive for what you get. Did your sensor have a grub on top to put a little shaft through? Mine looks like there was one, but they filled it with metal??
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:13 AM
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Hey bud,

Nah ive been traveling overseas for the last 2 weekends for work, only been here during the week and lots of work stuff on. Ive not mounted the apache mechanics yet because im still yet to sort the xtail rotor geometry so i can get solid stopping power on my tail rotor. I also have not completed the opening cockpit doors so im still about 2-3 weeks away from putting her in the air.

My air sensor tower came with a hole in the top which, once screwed into place, i then shoved a piece of linkage rod through it and ground it down to look scale.

The grubscrew, i used a dubro 3mm. but essentially you can just use the thread from a 3mm screw and just cut the top off it once its inserted firmly into the sensor tower.

bertween the UH60 and apache i still have a little work to do. im waiting to see how horsemans test with the new microhelis 20deg angle tail drive. If it works, ill get one, if not, im going to unmount the uh60 mechs, and pop out the scale cockpit and add 12oz of weight to the underside of the scale cockpit, just to counteract the off center COG.

Lots to do. trust me i know your pain having to sit on your hands and wait. the resin sensors for turbines are made out of resin 3d printing? i'd just make some out of brass or steel wire. mine are sturdy and i wont have to worry about them breaking off.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Hey all.

Ive mounted the apache mechanics back into the fuse, stowed all the wiring etc, its a hell of a lot tidier inside that it was before. the xtail is fixed and working well. not a solid stopping power but good enough and you dont need to be doing hard stop 360deg pirouettes in a scale heli anyhow.

the gun looks awesome and works well. just got to work out how to make it sequence in my new dx18 now.

i shelved the opening doors for the cockpit. it was mainly for display and had no functionality and was a pain is back side. im just gluing in new windows for the cockpit, using a slow cure pva then screws.

ill post pics after the weekend.

very very glad to have her in the air again. it was only a hover but it was as poetic/pathetic as falling in love with her all over again hahah.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
This is the first time ive actually had all 3 helis completed and lined up for a snapshot. Not bad considering the first 600 size scale heli i got was the stock align hughes nyc police heli paint scheme fuse flyng with a second hand compass knight 600 e exactly 1 year ago this month. not being one to rest on my laurels, im about to unmount the UH-60 and sort out my COG issues, and give the paint job a weather like i did the apache.

the apache is 99% complete, i just need to make a latch system for the cockpit.

i will post video of the moving gun system shortly.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:23 PM
Jose Reyes
Steilacoom, WA
Joined Feb 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
This is the first time ive actually had all 3 helis completed and lined up for a snapshot. Not bad considering the first 600 size scale heli i got was the stock align hughes nyc police heli paint scheme fuse flyng with a second hand compass knight 600 e exactly 1 year ago this month. not being one to rest on my laurels, im about to unmount the UH-60 and sort out my COG issues, and give the paint job a weather like i did the apache.

the apache is 99% complete, i just need to make a latch system for the cockpit.

i will post video of the moving gun system shortly.
All I can say is Wow, Awesome fleet
JoseReyes69 is offline Find More Posts by JoseReyes69
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:26 PM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,183 Posts
you have a air force !
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member