HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:40 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Discussion
Would like some info about the power system on the traxxas 2WD Slash.

I fly 3DHS rc planes and my friend just got an rc car and came over for a weekend and i told hom to get lipo's because his nimh took for ever to charge and then also relized there is a brushed motor in the car.

So he has this car and i was wondering would a 2s 3000mah lipo work in that while the car is stock. If so would it make any difference in speed? If now what would be a could brushless motor be for more speed that will fit in that car?

So we were havin fun with it for the weekend and i was wanting one so i was looking on HH and i saw this car and liked it because it has brushless motor and accepts lipo's.

It seems to be the same size car he has, it's just the VXL has a better power system? So i looked for the motor and esc that was in the car i am thinking about getting which is this motor and esc. So i was also wondering if he could just get that and put it in his car, Then we basically would end up with the same car?
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
715 Posts
The newest xl5 esc has a lipo lvc. Yes, same car with brushless esc and motor. Yes put vxl system in and they are the same.
kistner is offline Find More Posts by kistner
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:23 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
ok thanks
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:23 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
would 3s lipo be to much for the xl5 esc?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:34 AM
Newbie rc junkie
United States, TN, Dyersburg
Joined Nov 2011
103 Posts
Yes
Kmmac1705 is offline Find More Posts by Kmmac1705
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:12 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
But 2s is fine?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:47 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
715 Posts
Yes, 2s is good
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:40 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Ok thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
is there a 1/10 traxxas slash thread somewhere??? Or another fourm that has all the big rc car junkies???

Is 60mph the fastest you can get a 1/10 slash to go? or is there another motor and esc that will also fit in the body without much modding? Lake maybe something from this? http://www.hobbypartz.com/upfortrsl4x4.html

Would any of those motor exceed 60mph and would be able to run it almost non stop with out it heating up? Which would be the best motor for that?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
715 Posts
getting it to go over 60 mph and running it non stop without overheating do not go together. With speed runs you tweak and whatnot to get it to go as fast as possible - you cant expect to zoom around for 45 minutes, you will burn something up. and running around for 45 minutes at 60 mph or more will end up in significant broken parts. Another thing to consider is that the slash body will start to act as a parachute once you hit a certain speed; then you lose control.

you almost need two setups, one for playing around, racing your buddy, doing jumps in the yard, and another for setting it up to get some land speed rc record. for the second thing you might look at some 1/8 motors with an esc rated for 120 to 150 amps.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:49 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,730 Posts
Not to mention that 60mph requires A LOT of space and a really smooth surface.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:35 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
ok i think 60mph would be plenty fast more me any way but idk would if i dont want to spend 180$ on an upgraded motor and esc can any of you guys tell me which of these would be best for 60mph 3s lipo?

Some 1/10 motors http://www.nitrorcx.com/1brmo.html
some 1/8 motors http://www.nitrorcx.com/1brmo1.html
Some 1/10 ESC's http://www.nitrorcx.com/1bresc.html
Some 1/8 ESC's http://www.nitrorcx.com/1bresc1.html

If some one could tell me a good set up for 60mph and 3s lipo for a traxxes 1/10 car that would be great! I dont want to do alot of modding to be able to fit something either.

Sorry my friend has a 1/10 brushed traxxas car and i was looking into this for him but now i think i am going to get one of these cars its just if i could keep from spend 365$ for a brushless 60mph car i would like to.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:08 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,489 Posts
Here's my $.02: I have 3 Slash 2wd's- 2 are brushless and one is brushed. The brushless VXL is just fine on 2s lipos, and pretty fast with 28/86 gearing. Things get tricky at speeds with these trucks. You'll roll over easily in turns if you're going too fast. If you're mainly looking for speed and off road runs I would suggest a Rustler VXL as they're less prone to rolling over at high speeds. Browse the Ultimate RC forums- lots of threads about 'which truck/buggy/etc should I buy'. Good luck!
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:44 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
I 2nd the rustler VXL as well.
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:26 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Ok but my friend just boght a slash he is not gonna go out and by another truck i was just looking for a good 60mph motor and esc on 3s, that wasent 180$ if there is no other motor or esc that would work fro
Nitrorcx then i guess he will just have to get the brushless system from the slash vxl for 180$