HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:19 PM
Enthusiastic NOOB
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Discussion
Hoverthings quad flipping and crashing randomly?

For some reason while flying my quadcopter (DJI Naza Witespy/Hoverthings) it will wildy tip over and fall out of the air and crash.

It doesn't do this in auto pilot/atti mode, but in manual mode. I have good control of the quad, so I know its not my input that is causing the quad to almost flip and crash.

Its like for some reason one of the the motors stops or something and it just tips over in the air and crashes.

It will just be gliding and and I'll be moving it forward, backward, then using rudder to do a bit of nose forward flight then the buzzing propellors will go VRRRRRR and thats when I see it tip over and just crash into the ground.

I have expo on -30 to -40 on rudder, so it can rotate faster so I can orient it quicky. I dont like slow rudder control. Other than that, everything else was standard settings no expo.

Do you think that could be causing issues?

What can I do to trouble shoot this problem?

It feels as if the flight control is malfunctioning during flight and causing the motors to mess up, but I'm a noob so I don't know for sure. I just know its done this 3 times. This last time is when I realized it wasn't me causing it. Cuz I can fly my blade MQX like a semi-pro now but when I fly my Witespy it falls out of the air
easymoney99 is offline Find More Posts by easymoney99
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:37 PM
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
Manual mode stinks on the Naza. It just doesn't work well at all. I think that's pretty much the end of the story.

(btw, I like the Naza, it's pretty good)
kauaicuda is offline Find More Posts by kauaicuda
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:59 PM
Enthusiastic NOOB
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaicuda View Post
Manual mode stinks on the Naza. It just doesn't work well at all. I think that's pretty much the end of the story.

(btw, I like the Naza, it's pretty good)
crap, i wanna fly fpv eventually and i heard u need to fly in manual mode to get the maneuverability needed.

is that not true? can one maneuver really well in atti/autopilot mode?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
The Naza is ideal for FPV in attitude mode, because it maintains level quite well. I'm certain that 99% of all Naza-FPV builders are using atti mode.

The maneuverability you speak of might be more suited to sport flying, as that type of flight in FPV will really mess with your orientation.

Atti will give you smooth movements, staying reasonably level, avoiding big pitch changes.

You're in good shape, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about with your goals.

I would definitely just leave the Naza in Atti mode, and time it as best you can for you to be happy with its response. Set the gains so it's stable, and play with your rates on your tx to see how it works for you. Some folks have even dialed in negative expo for better stick response in atti mode.

Happy flying.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
Curious, does wookong handle similarly poorly in manual mode?

I thought I had read somwhere once that it worked well, but what's one post. what have you guys heard? Not that it matters how bad it is, I have already ordered my WooKong, but the feedback would be welcome.

Cheers
Magnumb is offline Find More Posts by Magnumb
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:49 PM
Enthusiastic NOOB
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
i dont know anything about wookong, but im going out side to set up atti mode to be a bit more responsive and see how it flies

i started off in atti mode but then thought it was stunting my growth as far as building flying skills
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
I haven't tried wkm in manual mode, but I've seen videos of others who have, and it seems to have the same results as Naza. Not a terrible thing, it flies well in atti mode. Most of the DJI equipped stuff is geared ore towards FPV, aerial photography and such, not so much sport flying.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:39 AM
Enthusiastic NOOB
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
I have been flying in atti/auto pilot mode ever since you guys told me to. But today even in auto mode it flipped for the first time in a while. I was about to land and it just flipped diagonally and crashed.

I'm guessing something is causing one of the motors to cut out. I should try and see if it keeps flipping the same way each time.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:08 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Well, now to address your question.

It sounds like one of your motors has a cold solder joint. When it losses connection, you flip over and die

So, try going over all the solder joints again.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:17 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
this thread stinks of n00b fliers who dont know what they are missing with manual mode...

OP dont listen to the crap that the Naza or WKM cannot fly manual mode....

it is not what people usually buy the Naza for.... but it is fine (not the BEST) in manual mode.

it just likes high diskloading... small props and you need to have your gains dialed in.

as for your specific problem.... sounds like your motor idle speed is too low.

upgrade to the newest firmware and make sure all your motors spin up when you arm the quad.... if they dont all spin up do 2 things.

1) re-calibrate your ESCs (not program calibrate) ..... you need to unhook the ESC servos wires from the Naza, connect them to the throttle channel on your Rx (use 3 servo Ys if you have them and you can do them all at once... otherwise you need to do them one at a time.... then (remove ALL PROPS) turn on your Tx.... put the throttle to the top (100%) ... plug in your LIPO (remember HAVE YOUR FREAKING PROPS OFF) listen for 2 beeps... then put the throttle to 0.... you should here 3 beeps.... (rinse, lather and repeat for all ESCS) the reconnect the ESCs to the Naza

2) Use the software assistant and increase your motor idle speed until all motors start up when you arm the quad

also remember the Naza and WKM will stop the props if you go below 10% throttle..... so when you are flying do not go below 10% throttle or it will turn into a rock!

was this a RTF from witespy? if so email/PM him he will walk you through everything... he provides great customer service (better than I will )
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275