Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:32 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justenuff8663 View Post
[
this is my lastest upload of my ultra big stick......I can't believe you've gone to the "Dark" side and besides that your'e driveway needs a makeover........
Is that you Roger? That looks a lot like Triple Creek where you're flying and I know you're a member there.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:54 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Looks like you need some balancing on the props Bill, but nice video!

Here's a picture of mine completed, I might need to pick up some heavier batteries after I add my 2 axis stabilized gimbal up front until I pick up the FPV transmitter and battery.

Have you flown your's yet w? I'm really curious as to what you think of the Quadrino. I still have a X666 frame that only needs a FC to fly. (I haven't had much luck with the HK KK boards).

I took your advice and balanced the props today. Glad I did too. One of them had some hairline fractures in it (haven't hit anything with it yet... don't know where it came from) so I replaced it.
Flew it with the dice cam, looked at the video (still lots of jello) and mounted up the GoPro. Had to rubber band a 3 oz. strip of lead on top of the battery for balance.
Decided to turn the video into a comparison test between the 2 cameras. The GoPro is way better but wouldn't swear to it being $250 better.
More comments in the vid and a closeup of a wasp somewhere close to the 5 minute mark. Guess the swarm of bees sound must have attracted it.

Neighborhood Watch (5 min 28 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:55 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,902 Posts
I've mine up a few times now, still trying to work out an issue with the baro sensor. If it's turned on it's impossible to hold a consistent hover, and will just drop a few feet randomly sometimes. Flying in acro mode is much easier to hold a hover, so I know it's the baro sensor. I have a feeling it might be getting nailed with prop wash and messing up the readings. It's pretty stable with the motors off watching the reading in the multiwii config program as well.

Other than that, the Quadrino was dead simple to work with and flies great. I didn't have to trim anything at all, and it flew great even before I calibrated the acc sensors and mag sensor. I'm blown away at how much more stable it is in acro mode than a CP heli, and in acc mode I think a child could fly it (once I sort out the throttle issue).
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:51 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,366 Posts
Quote:
I've mine up a few times now, still trying to work out an issue with the baro sensor. If it's turned on it's impossible to hold a consistent hover, and will just drop a few feet randomly sometimes. Flying in acro mode is much easier to hold a hover, so I know it's the baro sensor. I have a feeling it might be getting nailed with prop wash and messing up the readings. It's pretty stable with the motors off watching the reading in the multiwii config program as well.

Other than that, the Quadrino was dead simple to work with and flies great. I didn't have to trim anything at all, and it flew great even before I calibrated the acc sensors and mag sensor. I'm blown away at how much more stable it is in acro mode than a CP heli, and in acc mode I think a child could fly it (once I sort out the throttle issue).
I'm wondering if maybe one of those polycarbonate "crash protection" domes over the board might help you out with the prop wash issue.

Have you shot any video with it yet? I'd like to see how the Hero 2 performs. Tried my hand at shooting video of some planes from an aerial platform yesterday but not going to link in the vids. They're up in my youtube page for anyone that wants to see them. SRQ 1 (gopro) and SRQ 2 (dice cam)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:42 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,169 Posts
Bill, hopefully you wont start pullin motors out of boats for Heli's now.......................you got the Heli bug?
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:00 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
I'm wondering if maybe one of those polycarbonate "crash protection" domes over the board might help you out with the prop wash issue.

Have you shot any video with it yet? I'd like to see how the Hero 2 performs. Tried my hand at shooting video of some planes from an aerial platform yesterday but not going to link in the vids. They're up in my youtube page for anyone that wants to see them. SRQ 1 (gopro) and SRQ 2 (dice cam)
I'm going to try building something to cover it, just have to find something the right size/shape to start with.

I've only shot video in terrible lighting so far, if it's nice tonight I want to get some decent footage in. I know I need to put something between the frame and the camera to dampen vibration first since I still haven't picked up a prop balancer yet.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:41 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
Bill, hopefully you wont start pullin motors out of boats for Heli's now.......................you got the Heli bug?
It's more of a continuation of the same sickness I've had for years scorp. I like making videos.

Don't have to worry too much about me pulling boat motors to put into helis. (unless I wanted to make a big 2028 powered one to ride on ) I really don't care that much for the conventional type copters, but do see the quad as a good solid video platform after I add in some FPV gear. With a good flight controller in auto pilot mode these things are super easy to fly. I had mine up in some pretty strong winds yesterday with no issues other than having to constantly bring it back upwind.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:23 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,902 Posts
Here's a quick video from onboard mine. I need to balance the props still, they're WAY out of balance and it definitely shows in the video.

Quadcopter Video Test (2 min 39 sec)
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:40 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,366 Posts
Quote:
Here's a quick video from onboard mine. I need to balance the props still, they're WAY out of balance and it definitely shows in the video.

]
Until you go full screen you don't really see the jello effect. Still not really bad even then. Looks like you picked a much nicer background for your photo op too. Are you running the 127* FOV on your GoPro in this one?

I've ordered myself some APC props from Tower to try on mine They actually make a 8x3.8 slo flyer in both rotations. I'm currently running 8x4.5 and think the APC are enough stiffer to make up the difference. (easier to balance too)

I think I've improved the performance of the dice cam as well. Found a 10 mbs transfer 8 gig micro SD and tried it yesterday when I stopped by the LHS to show George my quad. Got rid of the dropped frames and helped the jello a lot as well.. Color still fluctuates a little but what do you expect for 40 bucks
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:06 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,902 Posts
Yeah, that's at the medium FOV setting. With it at full wide you get a good portion of both props for now. I'll see about changing the setting after I build the 2 axis mount for the camera.

It's not just jello, under harder yaw you can actually see it vibrate too. It's really noticeable if there's something detailed in view as it's yawing and seems to be worse turning left than right.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:08 AM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
900 Posts
I guess the next logical step will be the NRA pushing for legislation to allow packing a firearm on these multi-copters! Whoa nellie!
sailr is offline Find More Posts by sailr
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:27 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,366 Posts
It's going to be a bit before I get the actual boat video's from today up. I still have to capture from the camera to the computer then process them. In the meanwhile, here's a little aerial tour of Ackerman Park that I shot before the wind picked up.
Just replacing the SD card in the "dice cam" with a higher speed one has made a noticeable difference.

Ackerman Park (3 min 5 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bill34207; Sep 23, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:32 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr View Post
I guess the next logical step will be the NRA pushing for legislation to allow packing a firearm on these multi-copters! Whoa nellie!
To heck with the NRA legislation for a "firearm". I want one of these.

Prototype Quadrotor with Machine Gun! (5 min 12 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bill34207; Sep 23, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:10 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,169 Posts
Nice footage, Ackerman is a big ol square lake!
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:39 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
Nice footage, Ackerman is a big ol square lake!
It's a pretty good sized pond for sure scorp. Come on down.
That was shot before the "breeze" picked up. I think the front got here quicker than the weather people predicted.
RCG Plus Member