HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:33 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Discussion
What components cannot be placed near each other?

Ive got all the basics and am trying to put it all on the fuselage of a sky surfer/bixler. With limited real estate available on the fuse, I want to be sure I don't create any interference by putting any two components too close together. I've got a 5.8ghz 200mw vtx with CL antenna and an osd with gps and an ir sensor for the rth function. Not to mention the obvious brushless motor, esc and 2.4ghz radio tx. The osd manual says to keep the ir sensor away from the vtx so I know that but too much else.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:00 PM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
Ive got all the basics and am trying to put it all on the fuselage of a sky surfer/bixler. With limited real estate available on the fuse, I want to be sure I don't create any interference by putting any two components too close together. I've got a 5.8ghz 200mw vtx with CL antenna and an osd with gps and an ir sensor for the rth function. Not to mention the obvious brushless motor, esc and 2.4ghz radio tx. The osd manual says to keep the ir sensor away from the vtx so I know that but too much else.
Hello!

I have a very similar setup described in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1611497.

I have no problem with the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz but I have some problems if the GPS is too close to other electronics (including a small camera with no radio). I do not have any IR sensor.

What OSD and rth are you using?

Cheers,

Franck
ffranck is offline Find More Posts by ffranck
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:08 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffranck View Post

What OSD and rth are you using?
Cyclops Nova OSD
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:50 PM
Basel, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2008
92 Posts
keep the TX's and RX's apart. and keep those away from high current stuff (battery, esc, motor).

on my bixler, i have the video tx on the tip of one wing, gps on the other and the rc control rx on the tail
quix-fz is offline Find More Posts by quix-fz
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:56 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quix-fz View Post
keep the TX's and RX's apart. and keep those away from high current stuff (battery, esc, motor).

on my bixler, i have the video tx on the tip of one wing, gps on the other and the rc control rx on the tail
Could you please upload a picture of your bixler?
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:05 AM
Basel, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2008
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
Could you please upload a picture of your bixler?
here are some http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1615157
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:48 AM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quix-fz View Post

I noticed that your bixler is a long range ship. Do you think that having everything that spread out might be a bit overkill for someone flying within a 2-3km (MAX someday) range distance? Right now (and maybe for a long while) I plan to be under 1km even. Even though building in some wing plugs for all the different gear stashed in the wing tips is possible, I'd really prefer to have everything on the fuse so it keeps it simple when I'm connecting the wings. Not to mention having things out on the wings creates more wiring connection points to fail and more weight from all the extra wires.

For the record here, my idea is to keep this airplane mobile, even maybe make a carry case for it. I'm making the tail removable, etc. So keeping all the gear on the fuse helps in this endeavor.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:17 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,755 Posts
having had a Bixler and now a flying wing, separation is a very good thing! On the BIxler, I had everything on or in the fuse. Initially I had incredibly bad static from the power system. I had trouble with GPS interference - ie not getting a lock for 20 minutes some times. I moved the vTxx/antenna around the fuse, ended up at the back which is not good, imho (all the electonics end up between you and the vTx on the return flight).

When I built my Zephyr I went to more systematic lengths to ensure my video/RC/Power were all very well separated from one another. vTx far out on one wing, gps and RC ant out on the other, power system in the middle, with video wiring kept out of the middle. The resulting video even with whip antennas is drastically better than when I had the same video system in my Bixler.

(note: the Bixler snapped its main spar and was totalled a couple weeks ago. If you fly one w FPV, add a tougher spar! I liked the plane so much I now have the superior Skysurfer v4 on hand to replace the Bixler, v4 has a tougher oem main spar.)
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:07 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
I have a V2 (or V3?) Sky Surfer and even though the OEM spar felt very strong, I still gorilla glued in an extra 3mm carbon tube down the middle. I'm not much on aerobatics but just in case I hope it's enough to take it now. I'll also be doing a velcro mod on the wings as well just in case the spar does snap. At least there will be a chance of still flying it down/home with massive dihedral.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
Basel, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2008
92 Posts
i fly mine also mostly under 1km and transport it in one piece... distance of the components definitely helps, but, for a start you can tape all parts to the top of the fuselage and see what range you get, and work from there.