HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Tha Hodgehound, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:23 PM
End of an Era.....
Hodges Hobbies...well 8 miles from there!!!
Joined Mar 2004
2,772 Posts
Build Log
Electric Airboat!!!

Been some time since I built anything! As most people already know Hodges Hobbies now has a pond! (3-4 acres) A friend of mine brought a glow powered airboat for us to play with. Needless to say I got bit by the bug! I just had to build one! I have practically no mad cash so I got to looking around my shop. I found an old Styrofoam boogie board, an old park 450 motor and speed control and some coroplast. So the wheels went to turning! Here is what I have so far....

Cut and shaped the boogie board to 14w X 20L with an electric fillet knife(worked pretty good just had to go slow)!! Sanded all corners to a radius, built a motor mount from scrap light ply and the rudder from coroplast CF tube and a pushrod. Here's some pics on the progress, I'll post more as I go.....
Tha Hodgehound is online now Find More Posts by Tha Hodgehound
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:50 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,772 Posts
its done....not pretty but i didnt spend a dime!!! heres the radio compartment...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,687 Posts
Hodgehound,

Nice job on the airboat. Love the bottle compartment for water protection. I've done two similar. The first was about 20 years ago out of regular white foam with speed 400 6.0V, 5x4 Gunther prop and 6 nicads. It went like stink on the test 15' pool, but was too slow out on the windy lake. I wanted to spook my cousin in law (lake house owner) while he was fishing. I tried covering the foam with clear packing tape but it made it go slower! Bare foam seemed to work better.

Next is the current one with AXI 2212/20 silver and three A123s. Three-bladed 9x5 GWS prop cut down to eight inches. This one is much faster but I never had it out on the lake (cousin in law re-married). I only ran it on wet grass a few times and once on actual snow as we had a light Winter up here in New Jersey. Made a small keel from a bamboo skewer stick on the center bottom. Kerfed the sides slightly like a real swamp boat (your shape is cooler). Goes super fast and tumbles violently if you turn too hard. Great fun.

Take care,

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:32 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,772 Posts
Kewl! I have found out that i made this one a lil too short. Shoulda went with 24 instead of 20. It is also overpowered. It does great at 1/2-3/4 throttle, any more and it gets kinda squirelly! I will either leave it as is or cut another 24 inches long and transfer everything from this boat. Should be east enough. Its all held together with hot glue! Just peel it off and put on new one.