Old May 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey NY View Post
Thanks brother.

Its my next project after I finish the mods on my Polk's Dr1 build thread.

I'll be back here to let you guys know how the mods go on the Sopwith.

David
Hi David,

I'll be watching as I have a Camel in my pile as well.

BTW: Don't feel too bad about missing the Green RC DR.1. Easily the worst covering job on any ARF I've seen. It is coming along slowly. I like the plastic top less every time I see it. Once I get it in the air, I'll decide on a recover or just fixing the markings and shooting it with some dull coat.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 12:28 PM
Ya gotta land eventually...
United States, NY, Mahopac
Joined Sep 2010
1,098 Posts
LOL thanks Tim. A true brother of the air.

I was planning on stripping and re covering on doculam anyway myself and painting it up like one of the aces of old.

Please let me know no she flies. I hear Robbe will be bringing some in stateside but only when the exchange rate makes sense to the retailers...whenever that will be.

Stay tuned on the sopwith

David
Davey NY is offline Find More Posts by Davey NY
Old May 17, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Nov 2010
216 Posts
just started mine today. RE-positioned the engine mount to allow part of the bulk head to be removed so the lipos can pass through a little.
AndyCross is offline Find More Posts by AndyCross
Old May 17, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,098 Posts
Good for you!

Pics are always welcome.

David
Old May 29, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
216 Posts
quite a bit work done now. The 5000mah Lipos are sitting comfortably on a removable tray. Servos are 4" forward and control rods replaced with carbon fibre ones.

Landing gears installed and the black rubber bands are on !!!! minus one.(over zealous on the stretching.)

The rudder control rod I was not happy with at all. Even with a smaller diam carbon road there was still a fair amount of binding. Tried heating a rod and carefully push/twist back and forth down the guide which helped but not to my satisfaction.
Decided to remove the lower portion of covering about 3inch by 2inch just in front of the skid so I can exactly see what the prob is.
The last former hole and the fus exit hole do not line up at all, so the guide tube is sort of in a chicane...................no wonder it binds.
Simple fix.........just open up the last former hole until the rod is free flowing and then re-glue.
Re-covered the under side with silver solar film. Looks like a service hatch now . Rudder is now 100% better.
Also fired up the 4130-16 with a 16x8 zoar prop. Jesus that motor can pull,.......... 1190w @ 42amps.
Don't think the power will be an issue on this.

Just got the wings and tail feathers and shes done. JPerkins 1/6 ww1 pilot looks the business and is latex as well so no weight.
I'm hoping/preying that I need hardly any additional ballast to get her CG right.
Manual suggests 4" but most seem to be around 3.75".
Sound about right.
I suppose bringing it forward means more weight is needed up front which is good with this camel.......
Old May 29, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,098 Posts
Nice work!

Do you have a projected AUW yet?

David
Old May 29, 2012, 07:18 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
I finally got a chance to fly with my new wheels (Williams Bros). WHAT A DIFFERENCE! So much more side to side stability. Flew 3 batteries without a nose over Didn't think it would be such a big difference.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old May 30, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Nov 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey NY View Post
Nice work!

Do you have a projected AUW yet?

David
Hi Davey, no not yet, not offered it up yet but its not tail heavy at all. So It looks promising for 8-8.5lb I hope.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Nov 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
I finally got a chance to fly with my new wheels (Williams Bros). WHAT A DIFFERENCE! So much more side to side stability. Flew 3 batteries without a nose over Didn't think it would be such a big difference.

Harry
Hi Harry, What size are they.....5" or 5.5"
Old May 30, 2012, 08:16 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
407 Posts
It's great to see some activity with this old bird. I think it's one of the better WWI arfs. The detailing is good and the size is perfect for those of us who don't want to use trailers. (Mine fits fully assembled on its gear in the back of a Traverse.)

Mine's old- flew in 2008 with a Magnum 91 2S. I recently converted it to electric, and replaced the flimsy horizontal tail with a Clark Y lifting type. The lifting tail made it possible to use the 4" CG with good stability. Sure makes landings a bunch easier. As mentioned earlier, tho, the upstairs winds can really knock this thing around. Kind of normal for a wing loading of only 16 oz per square foot. (I think old Snoopy weighs around 9 pounds, now.)

I cut the ailerons off and rehinged them so they would move freely. (The guys at the factory did not know how to hinge with covering- they used one piece on the bottom and that restricts the up travel.)

Turnigy G60-300 on 6S 6000 (2- 3000 6s Turnigy 20C packs in parallel); Castle ICE 75; Xoar or APC 19x10 E prop. (Scale is around 20", I think.)

Wide open is 49A, 54mph and 12 pounds +, but I don't use it, as the motor has a 60A/15 second limit and I don't want to get near that. It will cruise around for 20 minutes at about 13A. Lots of torque, tho. Right rudder on TO is really critical. The pictures tell the rest.

Cheers
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
Old May 30, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,098 Posts
nice guys..keep it going.

Zdont quite get torque roll yet....if we have right thrust built in would I tot want to pull to the right was we ROG??

I am missing something
Old May 30, 2012, 08:23 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
407 Posts
Davey:

When I had the glow engine in there, she always required a little left rudder when starting the takeoff roll, as you're right- there is a bunch of right thrust built into the firewall. Since putting in the high torque electric setup (only turning 5900 max rpm with the 19" prop) the right thrust helps, but I need a lot of rudder as well to keep her straight.

The other thing at work here besides torque is the P factor- when she's sitting on the tail, only the right hand prop blade is working hard, due to the angle, and with a prop that big, it really wants to go left.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCross View Post
Hi Davey, no not yet, not offered it up yet but its not tail heavy at all. So It looks promising for 8-8.5lb I hope.

That's a good weight. Love to hear what you run-up at on a wattmeter. You'll have plenty of authority I should think.

David
Old May 30, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Nov 2010
216 Posts
Hi Bob,

Your packs are in parallel, so do you have 11.1v but 6000mah or are they 22.2v packs to start with.
Mine are in series so I'm getting 2x3s 6000mah = 22.2v 6000mah.
Old May 30, 2012, 09:56 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
407 Posts
Andy-

22.2V, a pair of 6S 3000s in parallel. Only way I could get them inside the cowl and way up front for balance. They still kinda Flintstone- hang out the bottom. They're Zippy 20Cs.