HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:59 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
Help!
Quad KK board issues

I have a Quad set up running a KK black board Version 5.5 its flashed as an X configuration using Mike Barton V1.1 XX Control. And using a Spektrum DX8 Radio

Motors are set up as below

M1 Front Left CCW Std Prop
M2 Front Right CW Reverse Prop
M3 Rear Left CW Reverse Prop
M4 Rear Right CCW Std Prop

One of the problems I have is Motor 3 seems slow and when trying to take off it will just rest on this arm and flip if I let it.

I have swapped ESC motors harness transmitter control board and the same result.

If I try to load a different firmware I cannot arm it it will just keep beeping no matter what I try to arm it left stick down left or down right up middle nothing ?

I have been trying to get airborne & all I have achieved so far is broken props

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Quad2Quad is offline Find More Posts by Quad2Quad
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:00 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,628 Posts
xxcontroller1.1

quadX

M1,CW-front left
M2,CCW-front right
M3,CW-rear right
M4,CCW-rear left

Should help

also for spektrum all tx channels reversed except throttle
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:45 AM
BUILD.FLY.CRASH.REPEAT.
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2012
673 Posts
I use the 2.5 XCopter firmware.

Also, as pug says, your motors are setup wrong. also, make sure that the pusher props go on the CW motors.
p0st4L is offline Find More Posts by p0st4L
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:54 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
I had this set up initially & all it did was a flat spin but I didnt have the channels reversed do you mean by reversing the channels you just reverse the plugs that go into the control board ?
Last edited by Quad2Quad; Apr 15, 2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:57 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Apr 2012
328 Posts
No don't do that! Go to servo setup and reverse in your transmitter
vcazan is offline Find More Posts by vcazan
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Apr 2012
328 Posts
Also turn the trim down if it won't arm
vcazan is offline Find More Posts by vcazan
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
You mean the Throttle Trim ?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:11 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
I still have the same issues after the changes you recommended and I had listed the motors 3 & 4 around the wrong way.

Have you had any experience with the KK Multicopter Blackboard Version 5.5 as I suspect a difference with the Black board & the Hobby King KK boards.

It still wants to flip over on the bottom left hand motor M4 its like a gyro is dead but I have swapped the board motor ESC wiring even the frame & same deal.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Karsten
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:44 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
1,939 Posts
when you say it starts to flip, is it actively *trying* to flip (ie a reversed gyro) or is it simply not stable when it starts to lift (ie a dead gyro) ?
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:52 AM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,861 Posts
Don't discount the possibility of a bad board. When setting up my tricopter, I went through an original KK Blackboard and a copy before finally getting everything to work with a $25 HK board. On the original, a gyro cover came off the original and I think I messed up the gyro. The copy was very poorly soldered. The quality of the HK board was great and it was the least expensive of the lot.
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:40 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
Its like the one motor is not spinning hard enough for take off and I have already tried 2 different boards with the same result I suspect a problem with the Mike Barton version 1.1. Will reflash it with a later version & see what happens but looks like rain for the next couple of days. Looking at ordering the HK board at this point do I have to reverse servos on My Spektrum DX8 with a HK Board ?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,628 Posts
Nothing wrong with 1.1 flew it for a while myself. You would be better off though getting one of the newer versions working. Because most all firmwares are based off kk original they are written around Futaba radio format so yes you will have to reverse channels with Spektrum. You should give kk4.7 a try again and see if you can work thru the problems. Most all of the boards require that you reverse the yaw gyro so it does not spin on liftoff. This is due to the way the board makers started mounting the gyro (reversed) and not the firmware.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:18 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
I flashed it back to 4.7 but unable to arm it no matter where I trimmed the Throttle to (high or low) or what position I had the left stick. ie Bottom Left Bottom Right Hard Left Hard Right Upper Left Upper Right. I did get 4.7 to work before but found it had a lazy motor and Have tried the other versions from different programmers but unable to arm those. But Mike Barton seems to be ok to arm but only the early version & that has been using 2 different blackboards the same problem all though I am using the same USB flash tool but it always comes up that everything programs ok except one version but cant remember which one now. Just wondering has anybody used a Black KK board Version 5.5 on a Spektrum DX8 and had it actually work ?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:02 PM
Troy ,OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,813 Posts
here is a lot of good information in one place.He has used the DX8 and may respond to your questions.
http://www.rcexplorer.se/Educational...e/kkguide.html
grumman5277 is offline Find More Posts by grumman5277
Last edited by grumman5277; Apr 19, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
Thanks will check it out and let you know
Last edited by Quad2Quad; Apr 20, 2012 at 02:27 AM.