SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, OH, Ashtabula
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
Discussion
Ryan Fireball plans

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a set of plans for a Ryan Fireball to be used for class 1 carrier. Pm me if you can help...Sept. 1971 Model Airplane News.

Thanks,

Rick
carrier flyer is offline Find More Posts by carrier flyer
Last edited by carrier flyer; Apr 15, 2012 at 02:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:00 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,739 Posts
You can still get MAN plans from their website.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:29 PM
Arizona
Joined Jan 2006
163 Posts
MAN doesn't offer that plan on the website anymore.
65stang is offline Find More Posts by 65stang
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:38 PM
c/l model builder,r/c ?
oxford,mass.
Joined Jan 2007
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrier flyer View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a set of plans for a Ryan Fireball to be used for class 1 carrier. Pm me if you can help...Sept. 1971 Model Airplane News.

Thanks,

Rick
You should look up Tom Shafers "KINGFISHER" only use a built up wing . He had the plans published some time in the early 80's. I am sure that A.M.A. still has them on the list. A good 13 second hi-speed and with the built up wing , line slider , and (MOVABLE 3 OZ. OF WEIGHT) to the rear for low speed , it will hang at 60% all day and still move forward at 4 mph. franklynjones@hotmail.com The builder of all three models flown by Glen Simpson in 1988 NATS in Virginia and winner of the Ely Award.
franklynjones is offline Find More Posts by franklynjones
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, OH, Ashtabula
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
Ryan

Hello,

Correct MAN doesn't have the plan. I located a set of plans and should have them in a couple of days.

I have built several Kingfishers both with the solid wing and built up. I held the N/W record for several years in class 1 with it. I'm sure I'll probably build another.

I've been wanting to build a Fireball for years so I figured I'd do it this year. Will it be competive who knows...

Rick
carrier flyer is offline Find More Posts by carrier flyer
Last edited by carrier flyer; Apr 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Oct 2008
188 Posts
Schaeffer's Kingfisher was published in FM, 4/83. Plan # CF630
It is available from their plan service.
It builds very light and would be very good with a built up wing. I have one built per the original and it doesn't fly all that badly.
flyelectcl is offline Find More Posts by flyelectcl
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:12 PM
c/l model builder,r/c ?
oxford,mass.
Joined Jan 2007
10 Posts
kingfisher

The profile version of the Kingfisher is great at the wing can be built under 30 inches and at a one inch thickness. It will compete with the MO-01's but most of the MO-01's are "ILLEGAL" when it comes to the slider or in the case of Pete Mazure his "Line Snapper". The rules stipulate that "the control lines must exit the model within the for - aft region of the wing cord". (NOT THE SLIDER OR SNAPPER)! looking at every picture I have seen of MoZilla the lines do not conform to the rule. The "Model" is determined by the 90% strait line from the fuselage out to the point it intersects with the farthest point of the wing tip. The lines should not go beyond that intersecting point in order to follow the rules. I brought the subject up several times at Banquets and even an unofficial protest but the rule was "INTERPRETED BY THE JUDGES AS THE SLIDER NOT THE LINES" and besides a bigger cheater Dave Wallick that I also protested along with many others , was found to have his Guardian weigh in at around 6 pounds because of the windy weather and was solid as a rock at 04 miles per hour in lo speed with over a 25 mile per hour cross wind. (PLEASE NOTE MY RECOMMENDATION OF A SLIDING WEIGHT INSIDE THE FUSELAGE ON LOW SPEED TO MAKE THE AIRCRAFT TAIL HEAVY BUT IT GETS REAL HAIRY WHEN YOU SPEED IT UP) !
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Oct 2008
188 Posts
Franklynjones

I am not sure of all you are trying to say, but Peteís airplanes are legal under the current rule.(see below) Iíve been the CD at contests he has entered, including the NATS and have measured the planes myself.

4.3. All lines shall emerge from the model within the fore-and-aft range covered by the wing root chord. All lines other than the elevation control line(s) shall emerge either between the elevation control lines or, if not between, then within one (1) inch of the nearest elevation control line.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:20 PM
c/l model builder,r/c ?
oxford,mass.
Joined Jan 2007
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyelectcl View Post
Franklynjones

I am not sure of all you are trying to say, but Peteís airplanes are legal under the current rule.(see below) Iíve been the CD at contests he has entered, including the NATS and have measured the planes myself.

4.3. All lines shall emerge from the model within the fore-and-aft range covered by the wing root chord. All lines other than the elevation control line(s) shall emerge either between the elevation control lines or, if not between, then within one (1) inch of the nearest elevation control line.
The control lines do not exit "WITHIN THE FORE - AFT RANGE IF YOU MAKE THE IMAGINARY LINE FROM THE WING TIP AGAINST THE 90 DEGREE ANGLE FROM THE FUSELAGE" they are behind the line prior to the "WING TIP". Many pictures on NATS events show the lines are well behind the "IMAGINARY REAR LINE AT THE WING TIP". Thats why I quit flying Navy Carrier years ago. The line slider has caused the loss of hundreds of participants because of "THE RULE INTERPRETATIONS".
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Oct 2008
188 Posts
Well, you’re wrong. The pictures may make it look that way, but when you process a plane, the measurement is made along a line orthogonal to the fuselage from the point of the trailing (root cord). I fly and run contests every year. Pete's and any other plane I have ever seen are all within legal limits.

You may not like sliders, but the planes are legal.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:19 PM
Mike A.
Des Moines, IA
Joined Oct 2005
366 Posts
In any case, what has any of this to do with the OP's question regarding the Fireball? He later said that he was interested in the Fireball for personal reasons and didn't ask for opinions about Schaefer's, Mazur's, Reeves' or any other plane.

(flyelectcl - are you John?)
mikeainia is online now Find More Posts by mikeainia
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Oct 2008
188 Posts
Mike,
Yes I am John. nothing to do with the fireball plan search, which has been solved.
Sometimes there is confusion on exactly what the rules say I guess. by the way I am going to be the event director at Muncie this year, I hope everyone interested in carrier can make it. Fly, Help or whatever floats your boat.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:22 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,347 Posts
I have an old 40's model of a Fireball, Master Modelcraft or some other equally obscure kit maker. It's pretty small, 28 inches i think, with a big 49 drawn on the plans!
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:53 PM
Mike A.
Des Moines, IA
Joined Oct 2005
366 Posts
John --

I'll gab w/ you on Stunthanger re: the Nats to keep this thread near on-topic
mikeainia is online now Find More Posts by mikeainia
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:41 AM
c/l model builder,r/c ?
oxford,mass.
Joined Jan 2007
10 Posts
Apologies to all

I apologies for stating my opinion based on 50 years of competitive flying. Anyone having issue with my opinion should have sent a PM as most Adults do to settle disputes rather then using the "Mine is bigger then yours routine". I was only trying to help out a fellow modeler with his ambition to model a Ryan Fire Ball in the Carrier event. My intention was to help him with a competitive aircraft other then the standard MO-01 . The truth be told that in the 60's and 70's at any contest and especially the NATS , you would have as many as 80 participants in Navy Carrier from what I remember from the Pennsylvania NATS in the 60's. Now if you get 20 it's a big deal because it have moved from a recreational sport to a Professional Event like so many others have. I have nothing against the line slider except it has cost the event so many participants and some have even gone beyond that boundary.