HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:29 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Discussion
Help!! newbie needs plane advice

hello everyone, i am rather new to this hobby. I can fly a champ perfectly, takeoff and landings. i got a pkz spitfire for my birthday, and was really upset when I found i could fly it extremely well, but not takeoff or land due to the extreme torque forcing the plane to go in 30' circles on takeoff, then fall on its nose, scraping the prop. it seems you need a rather gargantuan runway to compensate with the rudder. I really want an F27Q Stryker because i dont have to take off, and it just floats down and plops right on the grass with not problems. Im worried because i think my skills will not be able to handle the extra speed.......... and i only have a Dx5e, so no expo. please advise.

Sincerely,
Cullen
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,544 Posts
Have you read this review http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252858?

Turning left and crashing on its nose is quite common with any model aircraft if it's speed is not high enough when you try to get it off the ground. It shouldn't need a long runway, but the review points out that you won't get off from grass -- presumably it doesn't have enough power to get up to a decent speed against the drag from the grass.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
thanks for the advice, but thats not really my question. based on my information, do you think i can fly the Stryker?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:10 PM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
I think you maybe need to perfect the handlaunch of the spitfire.

Try at about 1/2 or 2/3rds throttle, and another trick is to get someone else to launch it for you while you have your hands on the transmitter ready to fly.

I have a hobbyking P 47 and it is a little hairy to hand launch too. I would not know where to try an ROG with it as it has about 1 1/2" wheels. You could maybe have a problem with the landing gear too. It should toe in slightly like a car to track correctly.

If you know it is always going to veer to the right you could try setting a little left trim and then untrim it once you are airborne.
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:28 PM
Just Fly!
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Feb 2011
220 Posts
I would stay away from the Stryker for now until you have more experience. Also, a more programmable transmitter would help, such as the DX6i or DX8.

If you want a flying wing type, look at the Assassin or Scythe from here:

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/

I don't think you will find anything more crash resistant. Set up right, they can be nearly as fast as the Stryker or slow as the Champ. And will work with your DX5e.

Nothing against the Stryker, it's a great product and Horizon is a great company.

I simply think these would suit you better right now.

Check 'em out!

Troutbum
Troutbum is offline Find More Posts by Troutbum
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:23 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
If you want a wing try this. I have been using it lately on the fast set kit and love it for a quick grab to fly at parks
http://www.lazertoyz.com/shop/Planes/minipopwing.htm

A lot cheaper than a stryker and takes hits pretty good too.

I have a PK t28 and PK p47. Tail draggers like p47 have issue like yours. Don't use rudder on takeoff. It seems to cause this. You need some room to takeoff on these and either hold the tail a little to get going or gas it quickly to get moving or you will tip over. T28 is much easier IMO if you can get that i would recommend it. Doesn't suffer from your issue. I takeoff from grass on both. I will post back with example videos.

Here is p47 vid with example takeoff
Rob Flying the P-47 (3 min 47 sec)

Wing example vid. Start at 3:30
Wildcat and Mini Wing (9 min 13 sec)
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Last edited by Syner01; Apr 14, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:55 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Sep 2011
118 Posts
Stryker is an amazing durable plane only problem is it's very fast and without the experience to handle the quick changes and recognition of orientation it may be a little bit advanced for you. Try a tricycle gear plane or even go with something like the Apprentice until you get rid of the shakes. Then the world of RC Airplanes is yours. I have about a full year of experience and now fly a Stryker and a Habu. So it doesn't take long. Love my Stryker though because no wind is to strong and like you said you can land it in your back yard. Good luck.
CnadianFF is offline Find More Posts by CnadianFF
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:03 PM
I feed my planes red bull
Joined Apr 2012
115 Posts
Actually, you could try the PZ micro stryker. Its smaller and slower. With micro planes, the landings are not smooth on grass, but the plane still comes out fine. The dx5e does have dual rates, so just fly on low rates and go real easy on the throttle. The normal stryker could be fine too. All deltas have good low-speed handling, and the stryker is no different.
flightmaster909 is offline Find More Posts by flightmaster909
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:26 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,941 Posts
Taking off with any tail-dragger, including warbirds and Piper cubs, requires technique. Start slow takeoff roll with elevator up to keep tail wheel on the ground , add throttle and gentle nudges of right rudder when needed to keep plane going straight, release up elevator to let tail rise, when you are at 2/3 throttle model should lift off on it's own with little or no up elevator input. Let it climb gradually, reduce throttle to 1/2 and adjust elevator and aileron trims for level flight.Make turns gradual, not sharply banked, with ailerons and rudder. To land, line up with runway and reduce throttle to let model settle down to runway, let it roll on the main wheels and reduce throttle until tail wheel settles to the runway, when it slows down some more, raise the elevator to keep tail down and prevent nose-overs. Simple, huh!

This is nothing like cramming full throttle and ground looping all over the runway then lifting off and banking left into the bleachers.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
thanks for all the help guys, i have fixed my problem: one of my wheels was higher than the other bc it was bent wrong at the factory. i bent it more and now it is level with the other. i also moved the elevator horn connection to the bottom setting to take off way faster, the travel now is 17 mm oh ya, and i got a new wing (old one was was beat up, aileron ripped off, scrapes on the front , and i lost 5 inches off the right wing, etc.......) so i cant wait to get some nice sunny weather here is Virginia so i can rip her through her turns haha
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
This is nothing like cramming full throttle and ground looping all over the runway then lifting off and banking left into the bleachers.
Nothing like mad skills, I repeat, mad skills. Damn the torpedos, full steam ahead.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels