HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:31 AM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
385 Posts
Discussion
A bit of 2 blade RPG fun

Having seen Ian and Rich fly their RPG's with two blades at various times, I decided try mine with two of my Gemini blades.

The first attempt ended with a tip over at take off which put the blades through the tail and the boom through the prop!!

Attempt two followed after an evening of rebuilding and retrimming and it now flies great.

Here is a short video after having about six flights with this configuration.

RPG 2 Blade.wmv (2 min 19 sec)

Regards

Rich
Ricardo1500 is online now Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:24 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
971 Posts
Glad you got it sorted nice bit of flying
Jockadopolus is offline Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:14 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,843 Posts
Cracking Job Rich

3 blades will be a thing of the past, did you add any weight to them or was there enough already in them? Did you stick with 1.5mm GF plate?

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:20 AM
Peterborough
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Excellent job Rich, that flies very sweetly indeed!!!

Just back from the field myself, and I have added a few more flights to my 2 blade RPG, I think that it is now my favourite gyro :-)

cheers

Ian
ismith2uk is online now Find More Posts by ismith2uk
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:38 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Nice flying rich! Bravo!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:29 AM
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
657 Posts
Very nice Rich, after seeing you guys fly with two blades I kinda feel flying with three blades is cheating

Chas
Gyrocopter is offline Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Sep 2004
91 Posts
Great flying, I hope my 2 blader goes as well.
boomerang is offline Find More Posts by boomerang
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:51 AM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
385 Posts
Not wishing to risk 2 of my gemini blades any further, I made a fresh pair for my RPG. I only had 10mm balsa and some 10x25 pine strip so made them out of that 760mm x 67 (Gemini size) to Rich's recommended sharp LE profile.

These came out quite heavy at 135 g due to the wood sizes and although they are well balanced and spun up really well they were a bit twitchy and seemed to shake the RPG about a bit.

A quick telephone consultation with our resident blade making guru led to the conclusion that they were probably just a bit too big and heavy for the RPG and so I lopped 70mm from the end of each blade giving me the 690 length that Ian has had succes with.

Tried it today and its much better. The shorter blades spin much faster but still have bags of lift and the model is a lot less twichy and doesn't get shaken about.

Much encouraged I strapped the 2 blades on my Panther. I know Rich has had success with a pair of Hobbit blades.

I zeroed the roll trim added some nose weight and more rearward tilt (mind the rudder!) and off it went . It took off easily and was very stable and controllable. Unfotunatly my old OS40 FS just didn't have enough grunt to climb out so a long hop to the other end of the field was all I got but all you electric boys should have more than enough power for it.

So there you go ....get used to them on 3 blades then give 2 blades a go!!

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is online now Find More Posts by Ricardo1500