HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:07 AM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
202 Posts
Help!
Can anyone ID this HLG?

Greetings, I ran across this video on youtube and I was wondering if anyone can ID this HLG? It flies really nice considering it's 17 years old! Thanks, Roel

Soaring Life (5 min 50 sec)
rvillegachapa is offline Find More Posts by rvillegachapa
Last edited by rvillegachapa; Apr 14, 2012 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Editinh
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Apr 2003
553 Posts
It looks to me like it might be a Bridi Tercel. I built and flew a Tercel back in the 80s. With modern equipment you could drop the weight a little, but the design is dated.

Every now and then you'll see a kit show up on the classifieds.

However, if you want an HLG (not a DLG), that flies really well, you should consider the Chrysalis. I can't say enough positive things about this plane!

http://www.djaerotech.com/dj_product/chrysalis.html

It is miles above the Tercel (and many other HLGs).

-- Mark
buzzfly is offline Find More Posts by buzzfly
Last edited by buzzfly; Apr 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,876 Posts
I think it is not a Tercel as it doesn't have a sub fin. And the Tercel has a turbulated L/E. I just looked at the plan's. What ever it is it fly's well.
prodjx is online now Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
202 Posts
I agree it does fly well! Could it be a Gnome HLG? But the tail feathers look different! Thanks, Roel
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Apr 2003
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
I think it is not a Tercel as it doesn't have a sub fin. And the Tercel has a turbulated L/E. I just looked at the plan's. What ever it is it fly's well.
I had forgotten about the turbulators on the wing -- it's been a long time since I had that little plane.

Indeed, it does fly well in this video!

I opened the video in YouTube (rather than embedded), hoping to find some additional information:

Using Google Translate, I converted text written in Japanese and English into this:

"A certain frame of Soara

Rockey RC sailplane hand lunch glider upholstered Rocky Ranch Hand balsa DLG glider balusa film"

I also looked for more videos on tyoukogatalabo's YouTube channel, and while he has posted 328 videos, there is only one that I have found that features this plane.

There is a link to a Japanese blog on (what I think is) indoor micro-flying, but I'm not sure if it is his blog, or one that he subscribes to.

You might consider searching that blog, or deeper into his YouTube channel to find contact information.

-- Mark
buzzfly is offline Find More Posts by buzzfly
Last edited by buzzfly; Apr 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:59 AM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
202 Posts
Hi Mark, Thanks for your investigative work! I have gone back and actually posted a comment on the youtube video in hopes of a response from youkogatalabo. I think I might look into his blog to see if I can get some more info. Thanks, again, Roel
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:30 PM
Tarzanstyle English Sorry
Cittadella(PD)(Italy)(Europe)(World)
Joined Nov 2004
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvillegachapa View Post
Greetings, I ran across this video on youtube and I was wondering if anyone can ID this HLG? It flies really nice considering it's 17 years old! Thanks, Roel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3i9-9XxCzA
You can ask him directly through youtube channel..
He is from Japan..maybe the glider is his own design..
http://www.youtube.com/user/tyoukogatalabo/videos
Ago
PS:Sorry somebody suggested it before me...
AgoMago is offline Find More Posts by AgoMago
Last edited by AgoMago; Apr 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: PS added!!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
202 Posts
Hi Ago, I am starting to believe it might be a scratch built/own design glider. I have requested info via his youtube video and his youtube channel. Hopefully, we can get a response soon. I think its 1:34 am in Japan right now! He might be asleep!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:24 PM
Osaka, Japan
Joined May 2002
14 Posts
GNOME by John Lupperger

This is one of the early produced RCHLG by John Lupperger. Go to my annotated Model Builder bibliography <http://www.isthmusmodels.com/sunbird/bib.html> and scroll down to September '84, Vol. 14, #152, p. 32. <http://www.isthmusmodels.com/sunbird/paulstory.html> John Lupperger is one of RCHLG's early pioneers! Also, navigate to <http://www.isthmusmodels.com/sunbird/paulstory.html> for The Rest of the Story ! <http://www.jesus4greaterasia.com/skypilot/> very dated
SKY PILOT'S HANGAR--RCHLG-DHL AFICIONADO
Paul P. Clark is offline Find More Posts by Paul P. Clark
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:00 PM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
202 Posts
HI Paul, Thanks for the clarification. I thought the design looked familiar. Their is a gentleman in my club that has three different size gnomes. He actually let me fly his 3 meter gnome. It was a blast. I think plans for the gnome are still available somewhere. I might just have to build one. Thanks again, Roel
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:09 PM
It's a mere flesh wound!
Woodstock,Ga.
Joined Jun 2004
1,144 Posts
Roel,

I have a NIB Gnome Kit. PM me if you are interested.

Buddy
Buddy Roos is offline Find More Posts by Buddy Roos
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:56 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,876 Posts
Ok youve forced me to get my Gnome HLG plan's and one thing I know for sure it's not a Gnome. I 'm not trying to knock the glider the gentleman is flying. The Gnome rudder goes below the stab, the fin has a very sweeping design to it. The elevator is narrower at the root than it is at the tip. The Gnome wing has a totally straight L/E, outbd T/E is swept forward. I'm scratch building a 2m Gnome right now. And I had a hlg Gnome till I launched it without turning the on board radio on. I think it's somewhere in El Paso, I live and fly in Tucson Az.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:22 AM
Osaka, Japan
Joined May 2002
14 Posts
Roel! Model Builder with Bill Forrey was the go-to-man--with his reporting he put RCHLG on the map, especially with reporting the first ISS RCHLG to basically the last--14 contests later (I made the last contest SEP'84). After that which the Torrey Pine Gulls took up the mantel with the first world series years of their IHLGF. Bill Forrey and John Lupperger were both core men for Hobby Shack as it was known (now Hobby People). It was agreed between us that the Gnome needed a quarter inch more elevator. I flew and flew mine stripped and rewound three times--a lot of slope. When it was in its marine green colors flying at the beach it well attracted the gulls, but the Tombi or Fishhawks would come in attacking!
. . . and Buddy! Wow!? It has been a long while and exciting to see you as in the Ole'Buzzard's word are a LIFER!!
~~Sky Pilot Paul
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:06 AM
Osaka, Japan
Joined May 2002
14 Posts
Right-On prodjx JISAKU/not a Gnome

Roel! prodjx is right about how he describes the Gnome! I recognized the tail-differences but assumed them to be alterations. Here we would call it a JISAKU (original--design/build). If you followed Joe Wurts comments about his Black Magic you would be aware of the craftsmanship that goes on out here--Japan! I pulled my Gnome out of the closet to confirm. One pretty bird--you would do yourself a favor to pick the kit up from Buddy! ~~Sky Pilot Paul
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,876 Posts
Thank you Paul. I'm just wondering what the gentleman's Gnome might look like. I also have plan's for a 3m Gnome and I've since learned there was also a 2.5m version. Jim Deck told me about those and I was interested in them but apparently he reliased he had already given them to some one else. Through the group's it's took me a year to obtain a copy of the Gnome HLG plan's but it was worth the wait. When I got them I made aluminum template's of the rib's and spar joiner's and I plan on building another after I finish my 2m.
RCG Plus Member