HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
167 Posts
Discussion
What is the critical temperature (or ambient temperature) for foam?

Hi Guys, I have a curious question....with the weather getting warmer,...what is the critical temperature for those EPP/EPO foam before they start to deform? Sometimes I tend to leave my foamie in the car...
Litchking is offline Find More Posts by Litchking
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined Dec 2002
2,299 Posts
Hey now,
In summer just about anywhere in the US it can get hot enough in a car to soften the foam enough to warp or droop. Especialy if you put it in the trunk.
While driving it's not often an issue. Nor is it if you're just stopping at a shop or something. But an hour or two is about the safe maximum generally speaking.
RobII
elfwreck is online now Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:24 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,080 Posts
It's not just the actual plane you need to watch. Foam sticky backed tape holding servos and receivers can also come loose when the weather is very warm.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:23 PM
KK4TYF /Baron Von Nick
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,846 Posts
And hot glue will soften! I know this from experience
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Nov 2011
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
And hot glue will soften! I know this from experience
wow...thanks for the info...will definitely keep these in mind
Litchking is offline Find More Posts by Litchking
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:05 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Warm Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchking View Post
Hi Guys, I have a curious question....with the weather getting warmer,...what is the critical temperature for those EPP/EPO foam before they start to deform? Sometimes I tend to leave my foamie in the car...
There isn't a crtical temp. Just realize that a foam airplane exposed to extremes of sun will warp and flex.

I set my foamies in the sun for 15 minutes or so to let them adjust. There are trim changes you will need to make depending on the weather.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird