HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:24 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,402 Posts
Question
Any pro videographers on here just starting to dabble in RC aerial videography?

Just curious... I've been a videographer for 20 years. I've played with rc toys for on and off for about 8 years but just started to mount cameras to things this year. It is not something that I need or that is requested much but I thought it would be great to combine my passion with love for rc. I wonder if anyone else is in the same boat and if it has paid off in any way.

my first attempts hard mounted:

DJI Flame Wheel 450 w/Naza and Gopro (2 min 50 sec)

DJI Flame Wheel w/Naza and Gopro (2 min 52 sec)

video.hapdigital.com
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, UT, Cottonwood Heights
Joined Mar 2012
159 Posts
I've been a Key Grip and camera rigger for 30 years. No real rc experience but I've committed myself to becoming learned in the ways of flying camera's. I see the potential, just not sure if current shooting budgets (read: small) will allow me to monetize on the potential. But time will tell.
tstrike is online now Find More Posts by tstrike
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:54 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike View Post
I've been a Key Grip and camera rigger for 30 years. No real rc experience but I've committed myself to becoming learned in the ways of flying camera's. I see the potential, just not sure if current shooting budgets (read: small) will allow me to monetize on the potential. But time will tell.
so your a film guy? nice...

yeah, it is a hard sell. I'm starting small so it is only taking up a recreational budget. but if I get this dji 450 and go pro to fly smooth ill move up to my dslr. I am scripting my first feature now and will most likely produce next winter. if anything the aerial footage will add to the production value of the movie. getting clients to tack on the extra service rate for corporate and commercial gigs might be slim to none.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
159 Posts
The irony of it all is because of the quality of consumer type cameras, it's never been a better time to be a film maker but never a worse time to be a film worker. Industrials and commercials that used to have a crew of 20 are now down to maybe 5 (and 2 of those are usually the clients).
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,402 Posts
Quote:
The irony of it all is because of the quality of consumer type cameras, it's never been a better time to be a film maker but never a worse time to be a film worker. Industrials and commercials that used to have a crew of 20 are now down to maybe 5 (and 2 of those are usually the clients).
Yeah, I can't relate to this as I've always worked in one-man-band situations. I started as a broadcaster doing news packages. The biggest crews I've worked on were commercial shoots for hospitals and such but I only get those kind of gigs once a year. However, I see lots of hacks trying to cut into the business just because they own a red cam or something. I'm a firm believer it is not the camera, but the operator that makes a difference. i can shoot something nice on an iPhone that looks better than most 5d and 7d hacks. The other thing is you need to know more than how to pull focus or rig a light to stay competitive nowadays. It is no longer a compartmentalized business. The jack-of-all trades wins.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:19 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Hi there,

Same thing happened to advertisement photography few years ago.
When I was working as assistant, before digital revolution, we had big budgets, nice professional team and structure to do a really professional job. But now a kid with a DLSR and some computer skills is taking the jobs charging less than 10% of usual prices. Definitely not the same quality work, but most clients now seems to prefer like this as they are more worried about budgets then a wonderful art work quality.

So I decided that If I will live in a budget at least I will be doing something exciting where I can have a lot of fun either, like making aerial images with RC drones. Starting with a low budget and checking how far It will take me. Some film guys I know are very excited to include it in their work. But until I get confident enough to do some real investment in this area to supply the equipment needed for real aerial film making it's just a hobby. It's a very complex thing that still have a lot to improve. RC drones are not easy to set up and problems that can put the expensive equipment and people in risk are not rare even in the best systems.

So start slowly with small budget as a hobby is really the best way to go I believe.
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
Yeah, I can't relate to this as I've always worked in one-man-band situations. I started as a broadcaster doing news packages. The biggest crews I've worked on were commercial shoots for hospitals and such but I only get those kind of gigs once a year. However, I see lots of hacks trying to cut into the business just because they own a red cam or something. I'm a firm believer it is not the camera, but the operator that makes a difference. i can shoot something nice on an iPhone that looks better than most 5d and 7d hacks. The other thing is you need to know more than how to pull focus or rig a light to stay competitive nowadays. It is no longer a compartmentalized business. The jack-of-all trades wins.
Yep Wingbreaker, I have seen people doing really good photography books with an iPhone. Pictures much better than others using expensive cameras. But to do that you usually need to have a reputation. Otherwise clients won't trust a guy with a GoPro saying he can make a better work than guys using a RED camera.

But I agree that is definitely possible, but not usual.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:45 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor73 View Post
Yep Wingbreaker, I have seen people doing really good photography books with an iPhone. Pictures much better than others using expensive cameras. But to do that you usually need to have a reputation. Otherwise clients won't trust a guy with a GoPro saying he can make a better work than guys using a RED camera.

But I agree that is definitely possible, but not usual.
No, I know. It took me 3 years to convince a lot of my clients that shooting on a canon 7d is a good thing. now i try to convince them to let me use a sony fs100 and they demand the 7d. it is like clients are about 3 years back from the current tech.

Here are some shots from my iPhone:

Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
159 Posts
Quote:
The other thing is you need to know more than how to pull focus or rig a light to stay competitive nowadays. It is no longer a compartmentalized business. The jack-of-all trades wins.
all for 600 flat with kit.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,402 Posts
Quote:
all for 600 flat with kit.
not tracking with you. this a type-o? or you talking about rates?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:02 AM
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
I'm not sure why clients seems to be so conservative, but you are right. They are always years behind latest tech and tendencies! I have seen famous photographers here having to invest in U$50K digital backs just to keep their clients happy. The back produces so much info that you need a powerful computer just to process all the images and discard most of the file info when it goes to final media. But you can't argue with them, advertisement agency guys always know about other people work better than themselves! LOL
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:13 AM
United States, CT, Norwalk
Joined Nov 2009
256 Posts
Hi,
I am videographer for 15 years. I am using multicopters for real estate photos/videos , I do build quads, hexas... and sell for others. Again hobby become little business

I like people who doesnt know much about it and try something different, new. Same way as I did.
Best
P
peoples is offline Find More Posts by peoples
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:45 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples View Post
Hi,
I am videographer for 15 years. I am using multicopters for real estate photos/videos , I do build quads, hexas... and sell for others. Again hobby become little business

I like people who doesnt know much about it and try something different, new. Same way as I did.
Best
P
Sweet. Do you have any links to some work you've done with your helis?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
159 Posts
Quote:
not tracking with you. this a type-o? or you talking about rates?
Sorry, it was a crack on the kind of rates even the networks are starting to pay-
a shooter with his own arri kit and mixer for 600 flat. I can't think of another industry where customers tell you the vendor what they're going to pay for renting gear and crew. Here's an example-
Hello, this is XXXXXX, we're doing a little shoot on Saturday and we'd like to pick up the gear thursday afternoon, we'll get it back to you monday late morning on our way to the airport. You'll only charge us for the one shoot day, right? We'd also like XXXXX piece of gear on an "As used" basis.

This conversation is usually follwed by the standard 24 year old producer lines-
"Something was wrong with it, we're not paying for it" (they didn't know how to operate said piece of equipment) or
"Well, in L.A. we can get it for XXXX dollars, why are YOU so expensive?" (like we're supposed to be impressed but the young producer can never come up with the name of the rental house in LA giving such good deals) or
one of my fav's after traveling 2 hours out of town for location, "We only shot for 4 hours, how come I'm getting charged a whole day?"

Just sayin "never a better time to be a film maker, never a worse time to be a film worker."

sorry, rant mode off...
Last edited by tstrike; Apr 14, 2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,402 Posts
Oh I hear ya. occasionally I get a client that understands that since the gear is mine it is still being rented with me as an operator. People don't understand that operator and gear are separate in this industry. Then there is the whole mentality that this industry is easy so you owe to us to do something for credit or reference. Let them try to get away with that with their lawn guy, plumber, mechanic, or doctor and lawyer even. It is a disrespected industry. I feel your pain.