HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:04 PM
Master of Flying Wings......
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
Discussion
*NEWBIE* looking for a good camera car

I have this vision of mounting my Canon camcorder to an RC car and have it wirelessly transmit the video back to a base screen.

The camera weighs about 2 pounds AUW.

I have the radio to get me 3000 feet away, now I just need the car.

Nothing fancy, just an all around automobile.

I have never messed with rc cars before and would love some help.

Thanks
flyingwing12 is offline Find More Posts by flyingwing12
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:55 PM
Chase Guy
Canada, BC, Fort Nelson
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwing12 View Post
I have this vision of mounting my Canon camcorder to an RC car and have it wirelessly transmit the video back to a base screen.

The camera weighs about 2 pounds AUW.

I have the radio to get me 3000 feet away, now I just need the car.

Nothing fancy, just an all around automobile.

I have never messed with rc cars before and would love some help.

Thanks
I run a Traxxas Slash 2wd, it's great for an all round automobile. There is lots of space to mount cam etc. It rides a little high but when you get used to driving it, you won't notice it. If it's the first car you drive you'll be fine. There is a zillion aftermarket and factory hopups, most hobbystores have spareparts in stock because it shares parts with other models. The Transmission is all metalgeared and will stand up to the weight of cam. It comes in a basic brushed version and a faster brushless version. It's fairly cheap to purchase also and is simple to work on. Especially for you if you work on planes already. I love mine because it's good for on and off road. Basically just switch bodies and wheels and you're good to go..

I've had mine for 2 years and have made vids with it from stock form to hopped up and heavy (nine lbs) People have said that I have some of the "the smoothest rc vids there is" Anyways here is a few vids from it. enjoy.
WORLDS BEST LONG DISTANCE RC SPEEDRUN (TRAXXAS SLASH) (7 min 15 sec)

ONBOARD Baha Slash with XO-1 wheels and GPS. 3SLipo (Distance:5km) (5 min 15 sec)

INSANE RADIO CONTROL CHASE (4 min 31 sec)
judgegixxer is offline Find More Posts by judgegixxer
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:16 AM
United States, IA, Mason City
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
It depends a lot on what you want to do. Drive on a street? Drive on grass? Drive offroad? Drive quickly or have a lot of pull?

I think the Traxxas Summit is the best all around truck; big, can climb, go fast (for FPV, 20mph is plenty). It is also quite expensive and requires a lot of work for best FPV results.

You can slap a cam on pretty much any vehicle though, so if you are looking for cheap watch the classifieds. Just be aware that 2 lbs is a lot for anything on the small side to carry.
Acorns is offline Find More Posts by Acorns
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, VA, Bedford
Joined Oct 2011
178 Posts
I agree with Acorns. You'll likely want to get a larger scale (1/8 most likely, 1/10 might work). Anything smaller and the weight of the camera will create COG issues with the vehicle, especially at higher speeds.

Not to completely bust up your idea, but the GoPro Hero 2 records in 1080p HD, is small, has a waterproof case, and has the ability (assuming the accessory is out now) to transmit images wirelessly.
LaTuFu is offline Find More Posts by LaTuFu
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:33 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
I wouldn't mind piggy backing on this thread. I too am looking for a car. I'm doing FPV planes, but keen on a car. A mate tells me the Traxxas Summit is the top one. But .. its pricey (here in Australia). Is it really worth the extra? I see you cna get 2WD cars for a lot cheaper... Like the 'Grave Digger':

http://rchobbies.com.au/store/produc...ducts_id=66497

That's pretty much half price.

I'd like to drive around on grass fields. Sometimes the grass is quite long.. 2 to 3 inches... I'd like to also drive on paved ground... and maybe race about with a mate.

Is the extra premium for the Summit worth it? I mean, what extra do I get?

I see things like this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DHK-Megat...item336d1c8ae1

So, a 'DHK Megatron 4WD Brushless' 1:8 scale truck... AU$400, while the Summit is AU$750. Is this junk compared to the Summit maybe?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Last edited by Cralis; Apr 25, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
I have a 2WD stampede (1:10) and a summit (1:10).

The stampede can go through 2in grass decently, has trouble with much more. Can go on smooth trails, leaf covered trails, pavement. Really a cute little truck.

The summit can go through a field with 2 foot tall grass and weeds, climb rocks higher than itself, and basically power out of any situation you want. Yes, it is worth every penny and more.

Unless all you want to do is putter around within visual range on light grass and pavement, in which case a $120-$150 truck will work fine.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:59 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
OK, so the price difference for a 2WD Summit and a 4WD summit is the choice? Both the same, except for the 2WD part?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:12 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
418 Posts
theres a few cool fpv Summit vids on youtube. Maybe a smaller camera would be better.
ride long range summit fpv rc car (12 min 19 sec)
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:43 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
OK, so the price difference for a 2WD Summit and a 4WD summit is the choice? Both the same, except for the 2WD part?
There's no 2wd summit... the two versions are brushed or brushless.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
Ah, this is true, but between the brushed and brushless is also a scale difference. The brushless is 1:16 and is a mini-erevo. The brushed is 1:10 and is a revo with locking diffs, remote high/low gear, and a different transmission. Substantial changes. The 1:16 is a ton of fun, but too small to FPV well. Go 1:10.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:07 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
There's actually a brushed and brushless mini, I was mistaken though.. I thought there was a brushless 1/10th scale one, but there isn't.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons