Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Discussion
Blade-450 Motor Upgrade Question

Hello all

I'm fairly new to the helicopter side of RC flying, and I recently bought a Blade-450, and I have been progressing along nicely with my skills. I am currently using the recommended advanced rates on my transmitter, and I have moved the fly-bar weights in to about half (though after flying with them there today, I may move them all the way in, or just take them off, haven't decided yet). Any how I really liked the way it performed today, and it got me to thinking about getting the e-flite 440 motor that is listed on their suggested upgrades. It currently has the e-flite 420.
My question is, is there anything else I may have to upgrade from the stock version to prepare it for the 440 motor? Has anyone done this upgrade? If so, was it worth it?
I'm currently compiling my latest flight video of the helicopter and once it's up on YouTube for viewing I'll post it here in this thread.

Thanks
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Looking at the specs on blade heli, the 440 is 4200kv(3800kv stock), which will give you higher rpms, more performance, but slightly shorter flight times. The recommended esc is between 25-40A, so the stock esc is sufficient. Not the greatest for the most extreme 3d flying, but sufficient.
phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixheli View Post
Looking at the specs on blade heli, the 440 is 4200kv(3800kv stock), which will give you higher rpms, more performance, but slightly shorter flight times. The recommended esc is between 25-40A, so the stock esc is sufficient. Not the greatest for the most extreme 3d flying, but sufficient.
Thanks for the info, I'm so new to 3D flying with the heli's that I don't think I'll be doing to much extreme 3D flight just yet. I'm able to do some rolls, flips, and some Tic-Toc's, but that's about it at this point. I did have a guy at the hobby store tell me that if I do start doing extreme 3D to keep an eye on the ESC temperature, and to replace the stock wooden blades with the carbon fiber ones, and I have already done that. So I had him put the 440 motor on order, hopefully I will have it in a few weeks.

Thanks again for the info.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
I installed the E-flite 440 motor and I love it! I love the boost in head speed, and the ESC seems to handle it just fine. But then again, I don't do much extreme 3D.. Yet, any way.

I'm also sad to say that I crashed my Blade 450 yesterday, it wasn't due to any sort of malfunction, it was due to pilot error. I was flying it, and I was well into my comfort zone for tricks. I guess I was to far into my comfort zone because my mind went to mush when I was inverted, and for some reason I was thinking I had to give positive pitch to roll out instead of negative. Well, you guessed it, I pile drove the helicopter right into the ground blades first! Fortunately I was recording the flight, and I have it all on YouTube. I've already got the replacement parts, and should have it back up in the air in the next few days.

One of the parts I have to replace is the main frame, and by the looks of it, I'll be building the heli from the ground up. Everything will have to come off of the broken frame, and put onto the new one. So this should be interesting. I've looked around for some 'How To' videos on how to replace the frame on the Blade 450 and didn't see any. So I maybe making one for others to use.

Here is the crash video.

Sad Day for the Blade 450 (5 min 17 sec)
Old May 16, 2012, 04:34 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
I guess I was to far into my comfort zone because my mind went to mush when I was inverted
Yeah, that's exactly what happens when you move outside of your normal flying routine. I call it the money factor. You get so worried about crashing instead of reacting instinctively you just freeze or make the absolute worst choice. No matter how many times I fly and get incredibly comfortable on the sim, when it's time to do a new stunt....brain freeze. Sorry to hear about the crash, but it happens.

phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Old May 17, 2012, 12:03 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
570 Posts
changing out a main frame is not bad, there's one 1 bearing(the tail drive gear) and the antirotation bracket that have to be put in before you screw it all together. Also put your main shaft bearings in when tightening the frame around them.

the motor mount can be fit in after the frame is together, just stretch the plastic a bit.

i just did all of this about 2 days ago.

I replaced
-frame
-main gear
-main shaft
-spindle
-tail blades
-tail boom
-all cyclic servo gears
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old May 17, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
changing out a main frame is not bad, there's one 1 bearing(the tail drive gear) and the antirotation bracket that have to be put in before you screw it all together.
LOL, could have used your reply yesterday.

Since this is the first time I've ever done anything like this, I did not notice I was missing the tail drive gear, and the lower bearing until I had the frame all put together. My next step was to install the tail, and that's when I realized I was missing something! And when I started looking at the old broken frame I saw the upper tail drive gear bearing still stuck in it's slot. So I reviewed my crash video to see where exactly it went down in the field, and this morning I went back out and was able to find the tail drive gear. (but that's not the amazing part, that parts yet to come)

I then went to the local parts store to buy the one little bearing that I still needed for the tail drive gear. This is where it starts to get a little messy. In the owners manual parts break down, they show the tail drive gear bearing as being a 3x6x2.5 bearing (part number BLH1115). The person at the parts store gave me a packet with those bearings in it, and that's when I noticed they were the wrong size! So they took the other bearing that I had for the tail gear and measured it, and found out that it's a 3x7x3 bearing, and the actual part number for it is BLH1613. I may call HorizonHobby tomorrow and let them know that the parts break down shows wrong bearings, not sure if it will do any good, but it might.

So, now things get worse, the hobby store is out of stock on the 3x7x3 bearings, along with all other hobby stores in the area. Now the other problem I have is I'm a merchant mariner, and I work out at sea for months at a time, and I'm due to go back out to sea next week or two. So I didn't want to order the bearings, and I really wanted to get my helicopter working again before I am gone for the next few months. So I decided I needed to go back to the scene of the accident and look for a little 6mm bearing, and if you saw the field in the video, it was going to be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I took a small magnet and stuck it on a 4 foot USB cable that I had in the truck, and started walking the field near the crash site dragging the USB cable, and after about 15 minutes of looking I FOUND IT! I then headed to the local convenient store and bought a lottery ticket! Figured the stars must be aligned just right for me today.

So my next step tomorrow will be to take the frame back apart again and install the tail gear and bearings. I should be able to finish up by the end of the day tomorrow, and hopefully have the maiden flight of my repaired helicopter. And I hope to have my 'How To' video all done by this weekend and posted here on RCgroups. And with any luck I may be able to help keep someone else from having some of the problems I have had rebuilding this thing.
Last edited by seahawk1984; May 17, 2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: fix grammar error.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:44 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Has anyone tried one of the Turnigy motors by chance? I have read the Eflite motors often fail early due to bearing issues.... My 4503d has maybe 20 or so flights on it thus far & is working well but I won't buy the same motor if mine does fail early.

I see some folks using a Scorpion 6 or 8 & others have replaced it with the Align 3400 Kv I believe it was. Anyways it seemed the right sort of topic to ask in....

Cam
qcman is offline Find More Posts by qcman
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:11 PM
Angry Flyer!
washington state
Joined Oct 2008
379 Posts
SH1974,
Did you change the gearing when you put in the 440? Stock esc ok?
jriley1974 is offline Find More Posts by jriley1974
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriley1974 View Post
SH1974,
Did you change the gearing when you put in the 440? Stock esc ok?
I used the pinion that came with the E-flite 440, but didn't have to change anything else. And the ESC so far has worked just fine with the 440. I haven't started doing any heavy 3D yet though. I had a fella at the hobby store tell me that I would want to change the ESC if I started doing any extream 3D. But I'm verry pleased with the performance that I have gotten with the 440 so far.