Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:53 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,029 Posts
Yo
Jun

Time to change your tag line from launch high, Fly low, to

Launch High, Fly higher than everyone else!

Glad to see my favorite timer puttin the hurt on!

Blue Skies Over Utah DLG Contest (4 min 57 sec)

Skip to 3:54 to see how Jun will dress for the worlds!!!!

Congrats to everyone and especially the top 3!!!!!! Way to go, and after hearing from the local boys it was an absolutely wonderful contest!!!!!

And a super duper shout out to my Utah homies!!!!!! Very happy to call you guys my flyin buddies! And yes, your welcome, when you say thanks for not posting anything once the contest got underway!!!! You boys owe me! Big time.

Thank Denver team for makin lemonaid out of a bag full of lemons.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:30 AM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,070 Posts
IHLGF '07 Poway. Vandal DLG launch. F3K (0 min 44 sec)

A stroll down memory lane...... And im not talkin about the acid wash jeans.
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:40 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,043 Posts
"A stroll down memory lane...... And im not talkin about the acid wash jeans."

Who was that stoner with the video commentary ?

I knew future greatness when I saw it! Great job Jun. Pretty awesome team for 2013 - two quiet guys and GMo - yikes! wonder if the Euros have been monitoring this thread ? Congrats to all who attended and to the hosts for another successful team select.

USA USA USA !!!!

Clay

See ya'll at the JEM 2013!
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:30 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
I'm weeding through about 2 hours of short video clips from the GoPro and some still pictures. I'll post more later.

Here's a teaser and will give those who weren't there a perspective on the weather.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:27 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Jun 2006
724 Posts
Congratulations to the new USA Team. We will be well represented in Denmark.

I would also thank those who have expressed their condolences to my wife and me. I have shared all the messages with the family. We will gather in Concord, NC tomorrow for a celebration of life.

It was hard to leave the TS, but there was really no choice. I knew there was this possibility when I made the trip. I am thrilled to have participated at all and experience the hospitality of RMSA and a great field. I need to get west more often.

Go USA!!!

Dick
DProseus is offline Find More Posts by DProseus
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:36 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,670 Posts
Dick Proseus We missed you hope things went well for you.
Thanks to Dave and Rita. You ran a contest that was fantastic and you were put in the worst position of any contest ever run and will probably will stand as it was forever and you should be very proud of your hard work. I mean the President Obama messing with the team select who does he think he is? Big thanks to a long list John Lovins and family, Kelsey J, Gary J, Kris J, RMSA, Bob, John A, Bruce, and many more official timers. Also to John J and his wife with big smile at all times. Well the big smile was great on all the ladies. When I would get down on my self and then see Kelsey walk by and smile I would forget about everything and I was happy again with no worries. Thanks to all the helpers O' almost forgot Dave R, just kidding Dave. Adrian it was long and hard for you but you did it perfect thank you. Thanks for the clocks Bruce and Red and for flying with us. Well weather I think that Tom said it best unpredictable at best but great for contest as was the Wilson TS. As far as my flying, I flew a 9oz plane almost all day Saturday with 1/8oz nose weight the whole day. I don't think that I ever won a turn around task. I told myself get good launch and don't hurry and it was good enough for turn rounds lost a few points there. Poker I was tired and went with 1.55 till last then 1.53 just to be safe and lost some more points but I was ok with that it was still a low 900 or something. Saturday was good for me. Sunday first round was last two and went well then trouble my first bad round under 900 not sure what happened forgot that one fast. Then another not so good round what was going on? Then 5 two's and back on track good round for me. Then again another good round and was feeling much better. Then the 1,2,3,4 and I was thermaling and ended up way down wind and was just hoping just to get back as some did not. The problem was that I could not get back in time for a three and was to low to get a four but did make it back and landed at 3.20 or something then threw for my four and got 3.56 it and 1.54 then .32 seconds for my one minute. and that round was ok. Then the worst round ever last three flights threw and landed early to re throw to some air that flight was 32 seconds then got my first 3.00 minute after that well I landed out something that I promised myself not to do ever, that was a long walk good thing as I needed cool down time. Last round ladder I got all but the two minute and was glad just to still have my plane in one piece it was violent winds. I think Donnie got all the times in that round. As for my timer Charlie thanks again you are the best for putting up with me. I think only once was I upset and so was Charlie and very sorry for that walk of shame. All in all was glade to be there and fly with the best pilots on the US soil. Congrats to Jun my man and my team Concept pilot Mike Smith well done. Mike Sied great job. Mike M great job. And how about team Gary and Jon Lovins fantastic man you two rock. Will try to remember more as I am still tired will also get going on the pictures.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:59 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,029 Posts
What was the consensus on the F3K master software that ran the contest as well as the big clock? We have been spoiled having Adrian run all our local contest, I suspect many pilots had not seen the system yet. I was praying it would work w/o a hitch!!!!!

Did everyone like it?
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:05 AM
He bowls overhand
Falcon, Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,558 Posts
The clock was awesome. Definately helps keep things straight.
threcixty is offline Find More Posts by threcixty
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:07 AM
Afflicted with DDD
United States, CO, Berthoud
Joined Mar 2006
1,357 Posts
Jon
The timing system worked absolutely fantastic. It took a huge load off the CD and timers. I wasn't flying (just timing from the sidelines) but from my perspective, I don't know how Adrian could have made it any better.
Bob
Soarhead00 is offline Find More Posts by Soarhead00
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:10 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,598 Posts
If its the same system Bruce used at the Nats, I think it's fantastic.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:19 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
If its the same system Bruce used at the Nats, I think it's fantastic.
It is much better know
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:21 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayH View Post
"A stroll down memory lane...... And im not talkin about the acid wash jeans."

Who was that stoner with the video commentary ?

I knew future greatness when I saw it! Great job Jun. Pretty awesome team for 2013 - two quiet guys and GMo - yikes! wonder if the Euros have been monitoring this thread ? Congrats to all who attended and to the hosts for another successful team select.

USA USA USA !!!!

Clay

See ya'll at the JEM 2013!
Thanks Clay we miss you
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:04 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
pics
Three cheers to the Encore and Vandal pilots - keep those bagged planes flying!

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:59 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
What was the consensus on the F3K master software that ran the contest as well as the big clock? We have been spoiled having Adrian run all our local contest, I suspect many pilots had not seen the system yet. I was praying it would work w/o a hitch!!!!!

Did everyone like it?
I found the big digital clocks on the sidelines extremely helpful, both as a pilot and a timer. So nice to be able to glance over and see remaining window time, or remaining prep time (enough for another warm-up throw?). I can even attribute one of my 1000 point scores to that clock. During Poker I called a 1:35 first flight, then called 2:00, 2:00, and 2:00. On the final flight I caught the wingtip, then glanced at the clock while starting the QT spin at the same time. Seeing 2:13 remaining I called a 2:10 before releasing the throw and won the round by just a couple of seconds. That likely wouldn't have happened if depending on my timer to do math and suggest a call, or having to do math in my own head. As a timer, I quit carrying two stopwatches because exact window time was always available at a glance. LOVE the big sideline clocks! The first time I fly without them will now feel like a major handicap.

As for the F3KMaster app, it ran perfectly as far as I know, other than a couple of tiny burps in the rhythm of the countdown to launch. AD said those were due to that Android device lacking the processing power to handle the current workload. But it was hardly noticeable anyway, and AD was able to quickly resolve it with a more powerful master device and/or some small code changes. Same goes for the buzzer volume & tone, which needed some adjustments. On the drive home we talked about future enhancements that will make it even better, like custom sound files for the pilot names rather than having the Google lady try to pronounce them (perhaps having each pilot speak their own name into the device during the contest sign-in procedure).

Two big thumbs up Adrian and Adam!
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Sep 05, 2012 at 12:16 PM.