HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 06:58 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,696 Posts
I can't think of a better way to spend Labor Day ... but I hear ya Mike. Do whatever you need to do keep peace.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 07:37 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,396 Posts
It'll definitely be a great contest to attend so I recommend everyone do what they can to make it. The last one was a blast and it had a lot to do with the other pilots attending and the mega-round format... JLo, I understand what you're saying and yes there is no way to make it work for everyone...

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old May 07, 2012, 10:05 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,462 Posts
TS Date

It hurts my emotional heart to think that there are people who may not be able to come to the TS, due to the fact that the date is set for a holiday weekend. I was very active in polling a number of pilots about the idea of "what is best" before our committee met. Labor Day is not the "biggie" like Christmas/Thanksgiving/Memorial/Independence, etc. We did discuss regular weekends, and talked about vacations, children-schools, families, careers, on-and-on. There were lots of comments from around the country in my phone calls and emails. Some for, some against, some sideways, but it came down to the things like John Lovins mentioned in a post before this one.

We were energetic in our contest committee discussion on this specific topic before I constructed the bid document. We took a vote, and everyone (10 members I think) put in their 2 cents. It was not a slam dunk decision, but as you know, we finally agreed on the Labor Day weekend. I don't know what else to say to soothe the situation, other than we tried really hard to come up with a date that would be best to attract as many qualified pilots as we could.

I sincerely hope that every qualified pilot who desires to attend can find a way to work it out.
Launch-1 is offline Find More Posts by Launch-1
Old May 07, 2012, 11:44 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
I would like to thank you for working to put together the TS contest. As I found out this year with the South West Classic you are not going to make everybody happy. All you can do is set the date and hope to have a good turnout, at the end of the day it's going to be a great contest. The Denver crew has the experience and knowledge to put on a great contest. I am excited to come back and fly on the sod farm which I think is the best field in the states. Way to go and keep up the great work.

I hope that each person that has qualified finds a way to make the contest, you deserve to attend!

Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old May 08, 2012, 12:20 AM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,070 Posts
This Is a small commitment compared to the expense, time off, and holidays missed for the wc. Mike, youre a great pilot and you have earned your spot, and the contest will be better with you there.I hope you can make it.

The ts is not just a weekend contest. Somewhere, in the back of your mind, you should know that if you are going, you may find yourself in the top three, and you should know you're likely going to be taking 2 weeks off of ....everything.
M Seid is online now Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,822 Posts
Registration

I just spoke with Colleen at AMA, and have an update regarding registration.

In the next few days, Colleen will begin sending out registration forms to those who have joined the F3K Team Select Program, and who have earned the necessary points. As we continue through the remainder of the season, registration forms will be mailed to newly-qualified pilots. Registration forms, and the registration fee will be $100 are due at the AMA by July 27. I'll be getting periodic updates from Colleen, and will make the list of registered pilots available on the F3K TS web site.

If anybody has any questions or input on the process, please let me know.

Dave Jensen
CD
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen
Old May 08, 2012, 06:57 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,247 Posts
What is the correct F3K TS web site? The one at f3k.us is from 2 years ago.

I am guessing it is http://indigo.zapto.org/ts12/Welcome.html
corsha99 is online now Find More Posts by corsha99
Old May 08, 2012, 07:19 PM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,822 Posts
or, f3kts.zapto.org
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen
Old May 08, 2012, 08:29 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,670 Posts
Sounds great Dave J
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old May 14, 2012, 05:07 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
I was just reading through the packet sent to me for the TS contest. One item jumped out at me, so I wanted to ask the question.

In the package it says that model check-in verification measurement will NOT be done at the contest. It states that any winning pilot's models may be checked AFTER the contest and if found to be illegal, the pilot will be DQed.

So the question is this. Will the official measurement tools be available for use by the pilots PRIOR to the start of the contest? If so, will the pilots be able to request PRE certification of their fleet?
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old May 14, 2012, 06:00 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Jun 2006
724 Posts
I have not gotten my packet yet, but I am curious as to not checking the planes before the event. Logistically, I can tell you from first hand experience it is not something that takes up a lot of time.

Do not want to second guess the folks that won the bid, however:

Pulled the following off the 2010 website listing of the F3K rules. At first TS due to limit on the number of planes allowed, we stickered EVERY part of all planes submitted to be used. Without doing that how do you maintain control?

5.7.2.3. Change of model glider

Each competitor is allowed to use five model gliders in the contest. It is permissible to change parts between these five model gliders. The competitor may change his model gliders at any time as long as they conform to the specifications and are operated on the assigned frequency. The organiser has to mark the five model gliders and all interchangeable parts of each of the five model gliders........

Dick
DProseus is offline Find More Posts by DProseus
Old May 14, 2012, 07:06 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,353 Posts
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Last edited by Kenny Sharp; May 14, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:54 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
Guys it's not hard... use your tape measure and make sure you're legal before you go. Don't push it. Go a couple of mm under to be safe. Don't push the nose radius rule.

Other sports do this (post inspection) and it works fine. If you cheat or you're too stupid to follow simple instructions, you shouldn't be on team USA. Don't be the guy who gets DQ'd for his backup plane being a pinch under on nose radius.

Dick brings up an excellent point on post inspection and model limits though. Wonder how that one will be enforced...
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old May 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,473 Posts
One of Bruces famous quotes ... "File a protest" ...
(couldn't resist)
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 10:13 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Got my packet today in the mail. Included was the same entry form I completed last year at the Cal Challenge. Do I need to complete this again, I already paid the $20.00. Where can I find confirmation that I am paid?
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone