HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:50 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,428 Posts
Yup, need to get your $20 AMA registration in earlier for the 2015 cycle, so that your earned points will count.

Get your fees into AMA.......Dudes and Dudettes!
Launch-1 is offline Find More Posts by Launch-1
Last edited by Launch-1; Jul 08, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:37 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,428 Posts
Reminder

It will help our planning to operate the Team Selection contest efficiently if you will let us know that you are coming to Denver to fly.

Presently, we are showing 27 pilots who have responded (thank you). I think that we will get more than 27 pilots to show up, and it will be good for us to know everyone ahead of time.

If you have not yet sent us an RSVP, please drop "djensen" or myself a PM as soon as you can.

Thanks
Last edited by Launch-1; Jul 09, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:22 PM
Afflicted with DDD
United States, CO, Berthoud
Joined Mar 2006
1,272 Posts
Call for timers

I'm putting out a call for timers for the 2012 F3K Team Select contest. Putting on the Team Select is a big job and it requires a significant number of people to do it right. An important part of the manpower is providing official timers. I'm asking for support from not only RMSA but the whole sailplane community in Colorado. If you can help time the contestants even if for only half a day, your help will be greatly appreciated. We need volunteers for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, Sept 1, 2nd and 3rd. Please PM me here if you can help. If you will be coming from out of town to watch your favorite pilot, we can use your help also. Don't be shy, we're easy to work with
Bob Pederson
RMSA
Soarhead00 is offline Find More Posts by Soarhead00
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:49 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,172 Posts
Paperwork and payment submitted!! Just fax it in and call Colleen to pay. Way too easy to bother doing it any other way.
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:21 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
Hey guys, will you please post the link to the TS website on the first post of this thread. Makes it way easier to find for guys like me that forget to bookmark it.

Thanks.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:23 PM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,820 Posts
Added -- it's f3kts.zapto.org

Sorry about the first try... I'm doing this while on a conference call at work.
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen
Last edited by djensen; Jul 11, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:29 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,501 Posts
There are lots of dummies out there, like me, who have some degree of trouble finding the web site with the non-link you just posted. I would suggest, in the interest of getting the largest possible number of people to look at the web site, that you put a real, clickable link to the web site in that first post. Just cut and paste the link below into that first post:

http://indigo.zapto.org/ts12/Welcome.html
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Last edited by Phil Barnes; Jul 11, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
Thanks Phil, ('there are lots of dummies out there') I resemble that remark

Mike
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:03 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
So where is everyone going to stay? Have the shuttle transport arrangements been made yet, or is this just way too soon? Airline tickets...Check!

See you all soon.

Mike
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:33 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,601 Posts
<- checking on flights tonight

What's everyone doing? Coming in *ahem* WEDNESDAY to fly two full days before the main event starts? Kinda makes a whole week of it for us East coast guys since we won't be flying out until the following Tuesday.

Just curious... cooking up justification.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:06 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,501 Posts
I've never flown DLGs in Denver. My impression from flying and towing F3J models on that field is that the lift is real big and frequently real far away. I think it may take a very different flying style to do well with an F3K model there. I want a full practice day plus the practice contest to have some chance to learn the local conditions before the big show.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:42 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,428 Posts
Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
So where is everyone going to stay? Have the shuttle transport arrangements been made yet, or is this just way too soon? Airline tickets...Check!

See you all soon.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I have been working on hotel and/or transport this morning. The most convenient hotels to the sod farm, and/or best number of choices are near DIA on Tower Road. There is a cluster of hotels to offer personal choices in case someone wants to earn travel miles/points. I made the assumption that people will be desiring the lower cost options, so I surveyed a few hotels to find out who will give us the best group rate. The choices that I think offer the best opportunity to support our needs are:

Days Inn & Suites ($67/day) 303-373-1500 ... 7030 Tower Road, Denver 80249 {free Continental breakfast}
Best Western Plus & Suites ($84/day) 303-373-1600 ... 7020 Tower Road, Denver 80249 {free Full Hot Breakfast}

Both of these hotels share the same parking lot, so you can easily socialize with buddies in another building. Also, across the street in walking distance is Village Inn, and Vinnie's Grill.

This area is "Hotel Row". There are several other hotels of varying price and more restaurants.

I have been working with the property manager for Days Inn & Best Western. They can block out rooms for us at group rates. He is getting a quote for shuttle service to the sod farm (5 miles north). They can provide a "bus" type shuttle, similar to the ones that car rental agencies use at airports. Unfortunately, the cost of the shuttle will be separate from the room cost, so people will have to pay on a per person basis. We can contract it to run twice a day; morning/evening. They will get back to me on the cost for the sod farm shuttle. However, don't confuse this with airport shuttle. All of the hotels in this area offer free shuttle service 24 hours a day to/from the airport.

There will be several pilots who rent cars; perhaps they will share a ride. Maybe (just maybe) I can talk a few locals into providing rides, but one of the problems is transporting planes. We do plan to have a storage trailer at the field that can hold a few airplanes overnight, but if pilots need to take their planes to their rooms for storage or repairs, that could tickle. I'll keep working on ideas for shuttle/transport.

These two hotels are the most convenient spot for a group IMO. Denver is a big place and has lots of other choices if you're not interested in these. I should be getting the final shuttle cost numbers by tomorrow, and will update at that time. If enough guys wish to use Days Inn or it's Best Western sister, I'll get the contract in place to nail down the cost and room availibility. Otherwise, you might be able to book these same hotels online and get an even better rate, as they sometimes offer Internet specials.
Last edited by Launch-1; Jul 12, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:02 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,428 Posts
Learning the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Barnes View Post
I've never flown DLGs in Denver. My impression from flying and towing F3J models on that field is that the lift is real big and frequently real far away. I think it may take a very different flying style to do well with an F3K model there. I want a full practice day plus the practice contest to have some chance to learn the local conditions before the big show.
Thanks Phil for the saavy comments; in response:

For pilots who have not seen the Denver field before, let me say that there are no trees that come into play, and very few surrounding elements to provide ground signs of lift.

To help pilots get a better feel for the "personality" of the Denver sod farm, the contest organizing committee had a discussion about wind streamers. We decided that we will put out streamers in strategic locations around the field for practice, for the High Planes Drifter warm-up contest, and for the 1st day (Sat) of the TS competition. The final 2 days (Sun/Mon) we will not have the field streamers.

If people wish to place streamers aroud the tent/pit area, that is acceptable at any time, but the height is limited; the CD will explain at the pilots meeting.
Last edited by Launch-1; Jul 12, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:22 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
Thanks Dave,

Sean and I are getting in on Thursday evening. I am not planning on flying the HPD contest. I would rather test a bit, rest a lot, and watch others fly. I think I read that guys not flying the HPD will still be able to fly on the field on Friday. Is that correct?

Mike
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,820 Posts
We'll have an area "close" to the field for testing, yes. I realize this is a variance in the normal "no flying during a round" rule that we usually enforce. But, this is a special situation, and we realize the need to provide time for folks to do testing, even if they're not flying in the HPD. We'll just ask that you try to steer a bit clear of the contest field, and not mark too much lift for the competing pilots.
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen