SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
Cool
Indestructible Camera

Hi guys,

A while ago I was flying the Bixler with my 12 dollar Turnigy from Hobbyking.
Most people say that Hobbyking products are crap. This product is not!!!
It survived a 100 feet drop.... Twice! The camera is a real bargain and I would recomend it to everyone who is just getting into RC and who wants to film his flights but who doesn't want to spend 300 dollars on a GoPro.
Video:
Camera falls out of the Bixler! -nonamerc- (1 min 26 sec)

Product link:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ory_card_.html

Thank you Hobbyking for making this Indestructible camera!

Greetings from Nonamerc

youtube.com/nonamerc
nonamerc is offline Find More Posts by nonamerc
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:04 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
I use one of the 808, keyfob types and run thread through the keyring loop and tape it to the fuselage as a backup. I use masking tape to hold the camera to the fuselage too, then just tear off to remove the camera and download the movie. A much lighter camera and from the specs, looks like it produces similar results. My camera is mounted just in front of the canopy

Do you remove the canopy to mount your camera?

Nice to know it should survive a fall. Maybe fit a miniature parachute? That would mean your movie while falling would be slower and it would make finding on the ground easier.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:33 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
That is just the nature of this type of product. It's mostly solid-state stuff, and hard knocks never affect that stuff as much as you might think. It is NOT, nowhere near, the durability of a GoPro - but the durability of solid-state electronics is often better than you might expect.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:45 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
I had one that got hammered straight into a tree branch and then thrown 30 feet to a paved street.

Oops

The case was cracked up pretty bad. The video did some pretty interesting stuff when it hit the branch (oh man... the colors, maaannn... it's so mellow, it's just like peace and love, man...), but the camera kept working fine.

That said, I don't recommend smashing them into stuff on a regular basis. I folded the wing on a plane once and the camera hit a blacktop walking path. The mSD card got a corner broken off, which obviously killed it. I think the camera survived that, too...

As with most electronic devices, any amount of abuse beyond normal handling should be considered potentially harmful. I've generally found it disagreeable to recommend products based on how hard you can smash them around because there's no measurable consistency to it. You could just slip and drop the camera on the ground and wreck it.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:23 AM
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
I had one that got hammered straight into a tree branch and then thrown 30 feet to a paved street.

Oops

The case was cracked up pretty bad. The video did some pretty interesting stuff when it hit the branch (oh man... the colors, maaannn... it's so mellow, it's just like peace and love, man...), but the camera kept working fine.

That said, I don't recommend smashing them into stuff on a regular basis. I folded the wing on a plane once and the camera hit a blacktop walking path. The mSD card got a corner broken off, which obviously killed it. I think the camera survived that, too...

As with most electronic devices, any amount of abuse beyond normal handling should be considered potentially harmful. I've generally found it disagreeable to recommend products based on how hard you can smash them around because there's no measurable consistency to it. You could just slip and drop the camera on the ground and wreck it.
Link??
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:24 AM
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
That is just the nature of this type of product. It's mostly solid-state stuff, and hard knocks never affect that stuff as much as you might think. It is NOT, nowhere near, the durability of a GoPro - but the durability of solid-state electronics is often better than you might expect.
Yes you are right. But when you compare the price of a GoPro to this 12 dollar camera I think that the 12 dollar camera is really worth the money.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:36 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,334 Posts
I have the Muvi version of what I believe is essentially the same camera. It is indeed very tough.

I used it as a helmet cam for a motorcycle ride to the north edge of Alaska, for desert quad riding, and have strapped it to an rc skydiver. Cold, high moisture, dust, and mechanical shock. Still works great.

Much smaller than the Go Pro, it can be velcroed inside my helmet, behind the shield.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:40 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamerc View Post
Yes you are right. But when you compare the price of a GoPro to this 12 dollar camera I think that the 12 dollar camera is really worth the money.
Heck yeah I'm just pointing out that they don't do anything to create durability on those, it's just how they are because of the design. If you want a camera that is designed to take hard knocks, you get the GoPro - and it will take hard knocks no problem. It's also 10 times the weight of a keychain cam.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
any 808 is ideal. 400 foot drop. it is not a timex. but keeps on filming
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:20 AM
rwj
Joined Dec 2011
329 Posts
Where is a good place to get the 808? and what should I expect to pay for them now? I want to mount it to my bixler when I get it.
rwj is offline Find More Posts by rwj
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:28 AM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwj View Post
Where is a good place to get the 808? and what should I expect to pay for them now? I want to mount it to my bixler when I get it.
http://www.meritline.com/car-keys-mi...?source=fghdac

Free shipping
1 Pack SKU: 400-808-001
In Stock
Today: $9.99
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:34 AM
rwj
Joined Dec 2011
329 Posts
Thanks!
rwj is offline Find More Posts by rwj