HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:54 AM
Joined Jul 2006
345 Posts
Question
Is there an interest for a frame like this?

A fellow RCGer saw some of the other frames I've made and sold and asked if I could design and cut a folding FPV quad frame for him. This is what I've come up with...

The frame is made from 1/16" G10 and 3/8" poplar booms. It is a 500 size frame so it is 20" motor to motor and 28" across. I do not have a scale but according to SolidWorks (CAD) it weighs approximately 300 Grams. The frame is centered towards his specific needs but future versions would have more universal features such as holes for KK (45m square) and CC(30.5mm square). I would revise the bottom battery plate to accommodate different mounting options. Perhaps a shelf in front or back for more FPV equipment, a flight controller protector plate and so on. And for larger loads and more powerful motors I can adapt it for 1/2" booms.

The unfolded arms are held securely in place with delrin clips. All the other folding quads I have seen you have to either remove or loosen screws or rely on friction to hold the arms. This way you just pop the clip out, fold the arm and pop it back in and be ready to fly in a couple seconds.

If more people are interested in a frame like this I would continue to develop it and cut them so let me know.

Regards,

Mike

The pictures are a mix of my SolidWorks assembly and ones he sent me after putting it together.
tosjduenfs is offline Find More Posts by tosjduenfs
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:10 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Thats cool, I like it. One frame i would be interested in would be a folding Hexa.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:16 AM
Joined Jul 2006
345 Posts
I've got a good idea for a folding Hexa, it is a little more involved than this quad though. I've just got to find some more time to start modeling it.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:20 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
I would buy one!
imdone is offline Find More Posts by imdone
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:35 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
I think you will have a bit too much flex in the middle.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:49 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
yea, have that frame and and just put it together and there seems to be a bit of flex when you twist it.
imdone is offline Find More Posts by imdone
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:19 AM
youtube.com/#/user/flyrobots
Indonesia
Joined Apr 2011
239 Posts
This very good design, i like the way to fold the arm.
Flyrobot is offline Find More Posts by Flyrobot
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:28 AM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
yes,is cool ,how much will it be?
idea fly is offline Find More Posts by idea fly
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:16 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere
Joined Sep 2007
737 Posts
Nope
koolkiwikat is offline Find More Posts by koolkiwikat
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
aluminium legs? i don't think so. just start making something simular to VC-450, just FPV style. honestly I less care about folding.

good job anyway
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:29 AM
Italia, Piemonte, Biella
Joined Feb 2011
395 Posts
i like H shaped copters, i am building one myself as a test / spare quad .
I would sure like the folding mechanism, but i think you should keep the 2 frame backbone further apart to avoid twisting. That means making wider g10 plates.
Here in europe we have 10mm sqare alu tubes cheap and at every diy shop, I think you should also sell only the g10 parts so we can use the material we prefer for booms. This way you have a lighter package to ship worlwide.
thepelell is offline Find More Posts by thepelell
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:36 AM
Joined Jul 2006
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
I think you will have a bit too much flex in the middle.
From the analysis I've done the frame has a torsional rigidity along the center booms of 1/90oz-in this means that with a differential thrust of 1lb the frame would twist 1.5 which I think is adequate for even very aggressive flying.

Substituting the poplar center booms with 10x10mm aluminum slowstick booms increases torsional rigidity by about 100% so it would only twist 0.75 with the same torque.

Substituting all wooden booms with aluminum booms would increase torsional rigidity by 180% so it would only twist 0.53.

Still I think the wooden booms are adequate. I may simply use 0.5" poplar arms in the next version. I'll do that analysis when I get the time.

Mike
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined Jul 2006
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepelell View Post
i like H shaped copters, i am building one myself as a test / spare quad .
I would sure like the folding mechanism, but i think you should keep the 2 frame backbone further apart to avoid twisting. That means making wider g10 plates.
Here in europe we have 10mm sqare alu tubes cheap and at every diy shop, I think you should also sell only the g10 parts so we can use the material we prefer for booms. This way you have a lighter package to ship worlwide.
I agree that would reduce the twisting however at the cost of increasing the footprint of the folded quad and would increase the cost because of more material and more cutting. My goal is to make everything fit on a 12x12" sheet of G10 since that is the cutting area of my mill. Eventually I hope to build a 4'x4' cnc router which would help me make dozens at a time and also reduce the price of all the frames I make.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Aug 2012
98 Posts
definitely could mount lots of gear on it. Will it support a 14" prop? Dimensions seem like it would. will those mounts fit this motor? mounting dimension in last pic. Definitely interested.
ssam99 is offline Find More Posts by ssam99
Last edited by ssam99; Sep 20, 2012 at 02:50 AM.