SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:18 AM
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Discussion
.46 OS AX 1/6 Clipped Wing Cub

Hello, This summer I will be building an Sig 1/6 scale clipped wing cub. I can get a hold of an OS AX .46 engine and was wondering if that would be too much for it? I know the clipped wing cub is supposed to be slightly more aerobatic so I was thinking this engine might be ok but I don't really know. The kit specifies a .25 to .40 engine. My question is would the .46 be too much power? I don't know a whole lot about this engine either so any input is greatly appreciated. I also am not too sure as to how well it would fit in the cowling of the Sig kit with its larger size.

-Greg
gjap is offline Find More Posts by gjap
Last edited by gjap; Apr 13, 2012 at 05:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:35 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,081 Posts
I think that combo would work fine. The H9 cub calls for a like a 36 to a 40 and I have a .91 four stroke in mine and it flys great. The only thing worse then an overpowered plane is an underpowered plane.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:09 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,716 Posts
The .46AX will be way too much power for it, and too heavy. You'll be better off with a .40 FP or LA, or the maximum a .46 LA. You need to keep in mind this plane was originally designed in the 1950's by Chuck Hollinger as a 1 to 3 channel model, and will weigh about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 lbs. when finished.

I've had a couple of these and found they fly really good on an OS .35/.40 FP. It'll be aerobatic, but likes to be flown in a scale like manner on the wing. If you over power it, you'll tear it apart in the air (I learned that the hard way). I currently have the wings for the 1/6 scale standard Cub built, and will either use electric power, or something along the lines of an OS .30 4-stroke.

If you want to fly hard-core aerobatics with one, you need to look at different Cub with a stronger structure. Also the Sig 1/6 Cubs like to be propped for climb, not for speed.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,081 Posts
I guess hogflyer has a point about tearing it appart. There was a guy that had a Tower Trainer at our club that folded the wings in mid-air because he was going too fast. You don't want that to happen to a plane that you put hours of build time into.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Well maybe I should look into selling the .46 os then. I really would like to get a four stroke but they are a bit out of my price range. I will also look into a .40 two stroke or something like that. I still have a lot of time though.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:47 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,488 Posts
you'd be hard pressed ta tear apart a properly built sig kit!

the clipped wing cub is a sport plane capable of some great arobatics!

that 46 will be fine! as long as your not building it ta use as a trainer! a great secound plane yes!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
you'd be hard pressed ta tear apart a properly built sig kit!

the clipped wing cub is a sport plane capable of some great arobatics!

that 46 will be fine! as long as your not building it ta use as a trainer! a great secound plane yes!
That's kind of what I was thinking/ hoping. Can anyone confirm or agree with this? It seems there are two conflicting ideas about it right now. I do plan on building it strongly with some possible reinforcements.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:39 PM
Keller, TX
Joined Aug 2005
299 Posts
I built one years ago and powered it with a K&B 40. It was overpowered with a 10X6 prop, meaning it didn't look/fly like a cub. Cruise at 1/3 throttle, and then giving full throttle, the plane would "jerk" from the engine torque. My field adjustment (I didn't have any more suitable props at the time) was to install the prop backwards, grossly reducing its efficiency. That made a world of difference (better) and later I switched out to a 10X5 or 10X4 and the plane flew fine.

That K&B 40 is not nearly as strong as the OS 46AX.

SIG's 1/6 cub is a very old design, basically a stick and tissue model modified for glow power. It's a very light build and flies well. You can certainly overpower it, there's no law against it, but the model deserves better treatment and presentation, in my view.

Enjoy it!
RCFVR is offline Find More Posts by RCFVR
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:47 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,032 Posts
I flew mine with a Fox .36R/C. Enough power for flying in the wind--and when is there no wind in Wichita, Kansas? Don't remember what the Fox weighed, but I would think if the .46 is heavy enough you could locate the radio system farther aft for balancing. Then you could install an interior to hide the R/C system, if you so desired.

My Cub was very easy to fly, straightforward on handling, even at slow speed. I'm sorry I sold it, but I still have one in the kitbox stored. It flew mucho better if I coordinated rudder with aileron, and you could do that now-a-days with the radio. Can't beat how good it looks floating along on a "high speed flyby" That usually doesn't take more'n five minutes
Balsabird is online now Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
ok well I will probably try to get a hold of a slightly smaller engine in the next few months (hopefully a 4 stroke as I love the sound) and save this one for a different plane. I do want it to fly relatively scale without being underpowered but I am not trying to overpower it at all it does deserve better than that haha. Thanks for the input!

-Greg
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:39 AM
USA, IL, Benton
Joined Jan 2005
389 Posts
I think the 46 would be fine. I flew one for several years with a Saito 56. Definitely not overpowered but would do all the Cub aerobatics real well. To do it again I would use a 72 Saito. I never used the wing struts either. I sold it to a friend and still get to fly it once in a while.
Red Raider is offline Find More Posts by Red Raider
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:00 AM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,488 Posts
what alot of peeps don;t remember or know is the 45 and 46 size engines came from 1 upmanship from the engine manufacturers, when 40 size airplanes where the rage in the 80's!

ok so when the only way ta make more power out of a 40 size engine was ta make it a 46! most companys didn't even make a 40 after that!

besides, man(and woman) have ben putting bigger engines in things for along time! its just normal! hehehe,
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:06 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,032 Posts
And you don't have to fly it at full throttle, either. Well, maybe for the vertical rolls...
Balsabird is online now Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Well I sold the .46 to a buddy who will use it. I just didnt want to risk destroying it on its first flight or something and another thing was the muffler that came with the .46 is huge! I think it would look pretty unnatural hanging out of the narrow cub cowling. I am going to save up and buy a 4 stroke hopefully, any recommendations?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,488 Posts
if your pinchin pennys(and who ain't) the asp are proven engines!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/72p-fs52ar.html

if broke in right should become a reliable engine and give ya that kewl 4 stroke sound and power!
RCG Plus Member