HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:58 PM
United States, MD, Pasadena
Joined Apr 2012
12 Posts
Discussion
Went to my local shop today...

Went to pick up a new skid as I broke the right one today on my 120SR and was looking at the Spektrum Dx6i with some fantasy that if I buy a good transmitter that my flying will magically instantly improve. While there I was playing with Realflight sim they had setup. I was flying a plane but it was pretty cool. They were out of stock, of course, so I ordered Realflight 6 with the heli mega pack expansion when I got home. I figured that was a better investment than a new transmitter right now in my pilot training.
They were out of skids also but they are due in tomorrow. I guess another trip to the hobby shop. They have lots of cool stuff other then helis.
RJP3579 is offline Find More Posts by RJP3579
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,448 Posts
The sim was the right choice for now. If your 120sr is an rtf you don't need a DX6i. If you progress to collective pitch 6 channel you will need a DX6i or better.
J_skaggs is online now Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:05 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,373 Posts
Many fliers report going from the RTF TX to a DX improves the 'feel' of the controls.

120SR is a pretty good realtime sim. It demands attention because it CAN break, but mostly doesn't. Realflight has come under criticism as overpriced for what it does compared to other offerings. SOMEthing has to pay for those expensive hobbyshop displays, eh?
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:22 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Many fliers report going from the RTF TX to a DX improves the 'feel' of the controls.

120SR is a pretty good realtime sim. It demands attention because it CAN break, but mostly doesn't. Realflight has come under criticism as overpriced for what it does compared to other offerings. SOMEthing has to pay for those expensive hobbyshop displays, eh?
The Realflight 6 is an excellent beginner tool. It gave me the experience to fly my mcpx and 450X. It pays for itself in parts cost savings. I have not read complaints of it being over priced.

I have the 120SR and DX6i. The DX6i does enhance the performance of the 120SR but, is not necessary.
Last edited by J_skaggs; Apr 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:27 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,373 Posts
Quote:
I have the 120SR and DX6i.
That's a coincidence. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

I also have RF4.5, brother bought it for me. I think I could have got the same utility for less but one doesn't question the value of gifts.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
That's a coincidence. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

I also have RF4.5, brother bought it for me. I think I could have got the same utility for less but one doesn't question the value of gifts.
We have a saying here in Finland
"Hymyile ja sano kiitos"

I would say the DX6i would be a good step up the ladder TX wise if you are planning on staying in the hobby.
Also should you grow out of the DX6i the residual values are pretty good.
Essex2visuvesi is online now Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
The Realflight 6 is an excellent beginner tool. It gave me the experience to fly my mcpx and 450X. It pays for itself in parts cost savings. I have not read complaints of it being over priced.
Not sure how you missed those complaints, but it comes up in every discussion about simulators. It is a fact - Realflight is over-priced. Competitors in the sector offer much more than RF does at a lower price - therefore "overpriced" - the Interlink is the only advantage RF really has anymore - it used to have 3D fields, but everybody has that now. It used to have combat as an advantage, but the online combat isn't actually fun, even in the rare situation when it works right. It used to have accurate physics as an advantage, but everyone has that now. And, the down side is, if you don't have a recent computer, you have to turn off any visual advantages RF has over the competition, or you experience such bad performance that the physics model suffers.

The slower it runs, the more inaccurate the physics model gets - all sims have this feature. As long as you can run at a solid 30fps, you should be ok. It is still a good tool even if you can't take advantage of all the features - but IMO, RF has lost its market edge. That is a complete reversal from what I said about it maybe 18 months ago, when it did have a clear advantage. Everyone else caught up.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:30 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
also , dont forget you need to pay for upgrades. i just upgraded my phoenix 3.5 to 4.0 for free . it does this on its own , every time i turn it on it looks for updated .
but , a sim is always easier on the wallet than crashing in real life
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:10 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,448 Posts
It has been worth it to me by advancing my skills and is paying me back its cost in parts savings.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:44 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
In my opinion any sim is better than no sim even if its just the dreaded FMS.

It teaches muscle memory, sharpens the reflexes and is great for leaning orientation.
Essex2visuvesi is online now Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi