SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:16 PM
Fearless Foamy Flyer
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
Discussion
Nutball mini version

Here is a modified nutball made with a champ guts. The "aircraft" has a 9 inch wingspan and flys like a dream. I made the tail and elevator larger by about 20
%. Also the top fuselage is 5 inches tall. Oh yeah, it weighs 0.9 ounces!
mini nutball RC plane (4 min 17 sec)
windwalker is offline Find More Posts by windwalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:11 AM
looks straight... Its a brick.
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Mar 2012
27 Posts
looks good. Just the thing i need for the backyard...

Well done, keep up the great work.
camera361 is offline Find More Posts by camera361
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:49 AM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
785 Posts
windwalker That's more fun than the Champ May have to gut my Champ Can you post a few close up pictures. Also, how much dihedral did you set your wing tips at and what is the max width of the wing tips?

Thanks
Bobby
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:04 AM
Foam Newbie
Melbourne, FL
Joined Sep 2010
410 Posts
What a cute little plane! She looks a bit fast and darty, though. Have you considered increasing the size a bit? I've used the same Champ guts on various 3mm depron Nutballs and it floats along nicely at 12-14 inches. In this video a friend of mine is flying a 14inch Nutball out in the street.

14-inch Nutball, 3mm Depron RC Airplane (1 min 52 sec)

Well, it might have been the guts out of a P51 on that particular Nutball. But I have built 5 Nutballs of that size, using electronics from three different Champs and a P51.
Jefte is offline Find More Posts by Jefte
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:13 AM
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
785 Posts
Hey Guy's, I like em both, Darty and Floaty

Bobby
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:21 PM
Fearless Foamy Flyer
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
Mini is 7 inches wide, the "wings" are 1&1/2 inches each at a 45 degree angle of dihedral. Fuse is 4.5 inches tall and 1 piece. It is very zippy but highly controllable once you learn to fly it. I fly mostly at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.
I have built several, in several sizes trying to make mods to make it fly the way I want it too. I currently like the 17 inch, and of course the mini. Here are some closeups as requestedName: IMG_3586.jpg
Views: 95
Size: 221.4 KB
Description: 17" and mini

Name: IMG_3588.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 197.4 KB
Description: The pink was suppose to red, but I kinda liked it after I finished the rest of the paint

Name: IMG_3590.jpg
Views: 106
Size: 232.4 KB
Description: closeup of electronic placement

Name: IMG_3594.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 172.9 KB
Description: showing dihedral
Here is a video taken this evening of a Smiley 17" nutball with lights for nightflying. Kinda hard to see the colors, but the wings are red and green, whitw on the bottom, and blue down the fuse.....enjoy.

nutball with lights.wmv (1 min 29 sec)
windwalker is offline Find More Posts by windwalker
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:04 AM
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
785 Posts
Thanks windwalker It's Cool and I like it

Bobby
Old Jul 08, 2013, 11:34 PM
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Jun 2013
2 Posts
Mini Nutball from Champ guts

Hello everyone,
I have been tinkering with this RC stuff and love a challenge so I think I might have found a new love but was wondering about the CG on a micro nutball like the one windwalker has here...Mine does not fly that well, ok I cant keep it in the air more than few seconds hahaha... where is CG on that 7" one w/ Champ guts I have one of those that I have "trained" the heck out of. Tphe nutball I built just dives straight nose down or flips completely nose down and around. but I read some earlier post that was recommending 25% back from front edge thats where i am at. Go easy on the greenhorn ;-)

Thanks in advance
Crashtest2000 is offline Find More Posts by Crashtest2000