HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:07 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Discussion
Lipos to storage voltage?

hey guys. if i have a fully charged lipo that i wasn't able to use, how would i go about to discharge it down to storage voltage?
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:10 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,458 Posts
Easiest and cheapest way...

Plug it into a discharged lipoly of same cell count and limit current flow with a power resistor like this.

Another very effective and foolproof way is to use an automotive lightbulb in conjunction with this cutoff circuit.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
cool thanks. my charger has a discharge setting; could i use that to get it down to the right voltage?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,458 Posts
Yes, you can. However, lipo cutoff voltage on most chargers is WAY too low and can damage your lipoly. You can use NiMH discharge and set cutoff to ~3.8V/cell and it should get you in perfect storage range.

Some chargers have Lipo storage setting that will discharge and cutoff at appropriate voltage.

Note that most inexpensive chargers have extremely limited discharge capability and will take a VERY long time to reach storage voltage on a large pack. Also, there have been many reports of burned up chargers as a result of using a charger to discharge lipolys. It's for this reason that I never recommend using an expensive charger to discharge packs. It's much cheaper to replace a lightbulb than an entire charger...

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Yes, you can. However, lipo cutoff voltage on most chargers is WAY too low and can damage your lipoly. You can use NiMH discharge and set cutoff to ~3.8V/cell and it should get you in perfect storage range.

Some chargers have Lipo storage setting that will discharge and cutoff at appropriate voltage.

Note that most inexpensive chargers have extremely limited discharge capability and will take a VERY long time to reach storage voltage on a large pack. Also, there have been many reports of burned up chargers as a result of using a charger to discharge lipolys. It's for this reason that I never recommend using an expensive charger to discharge packs. It's much cheaper to replace a lightbulb than an entire charger...

Mark
okay cool thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
just a question; how do you discharge a lipo using a lightbulb?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,458 Posts
There's a simple circuit that was linked in post #2 above that is fun to build and works wonderfully. It uses cheap 12V automotive lightbulbs.

Here it is again: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1131817

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
oh okay thanks.