Closed Thread
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:02 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieflyer7 View Post
Can anyone make any suggestion for what the 'best' (as in longest lasting) battery that I could get for the SR120 would be?

If you can solder, this one should last long on the SR120, good price too
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...gle_Cell_.html

The SR120 should fly quite well on the stock battery. Choose a smaller battery or larger battery, depends on what you want to do. If you want to fly a balanced helicopter, then the stock battery is sometimes the best.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:16 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2011
369 Posts
Don't rule out the mSRX. It is FBL and chances are more than strong that any future helis you get will also be FBL. Its smaller size is better for indoor when you want some practice and outside isn't viable. Given it's FBL and it will handle some wind. My son's mSRX handles wind substantially better than my old, add much larger, Honeybee FP. Nothing at all against the venerable SR-120, but I see more pros than cons with the mSRX.
C6Silver is offline Find More Posts by C6Silver
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:39 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6Silver View Post
Nothing at all against the venerable SR-120, but I see more pros than cons with the mSRX.
The critical difference is the self-leveling capability of the SR-120. I would say they are equally wind-capable. The SR-120 is a little easier to fly though because it levels out.

The mQX is a possibility too. It's not like a regular helicopter, and it doesn't self-level, but it has excellent handling in light breezes and it is a ton of fun to buzz around the park with.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:52 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
First and last word on this one. Follow Jasmine's advice. If she says it, consider it to be precisely the way it is. The veracity of her tutelage is legendary. She has forgotten more about helis than many people will ever know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieflyer7 View Post
Any suggestions?
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined May 2008
28 Posts
Okay then, thanks for the advice, guys and ladies.

I think I'm going to go with the Blade 120SR, then. I'm only used to 3 and 4 channel coaxials (which I have become pretty nifty with, zipping around in circuits, landing on small things that family members thought couldn't be done, etc.)

Will I need to hit a simulator before trying to fly the blade? I know it will be quite a bit different from what I am used to. I watched some reviews on the 120SR...and I see where some people switched it to "advanced swashplate" mode. Does it come stock with this ability to switch the connectors from one spot to another, or did they buy another swashplate to be able to do this? Obviously, I won't need that right now. But for future reference, it would be good to know. Thanks.
jmr1068204 is offline Find More Posts by jmr1068204
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:33 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Dual mechanical rates are standard. 120SR ships in low mechanical rate. Switch to high before you go outside.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Umm...I was the one that originally asked about this. Who the heck are you? Or I guess you have just been following this thread trying to figure out what to get for yourself, as well? Nothing wrong with that...just weird.

Yeah, the 120SR sounds like a pretty good beginner model with advanced capabilities, based on the replies and some of my own research, watching video reviews and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr1068204
Okay then, thanks for the advice, guys and ladies.

I think I'm going to go with the Blade 120SR, then. I'm only used to 3 and 4 channel coaxials (which I have become pretty nifty with, zipping around in circuits, landing on small things that family members thought couldn't be done, etc.)

Will I need to hit a simulator before trying to fly the blade? I know it will be quite a bit different from what I am used to. I watched some reviews on the 120SR...and I see where some people switched it to "advanced swashplate" mode. Does it come stock with this ability to switch the connectors from one spot to another, or did they buy another swashplate to be able to do this? Obviously, I won't need that right now. But for future reference, it would be good to know. Thanks.
newbieflyer7 is offline Find More Posts by newbieflyer7
Closed Thread