HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:25 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0 View Post
Very nice. That's what I call real quality.
Starting to think this guys rite.

Seriously how do you skip putting contacts in a battery tray?
How do you skip putting a propellor on a airplane?
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Starting to think this guys rite.

Seriously how do you skip putting contacts in a battery tray?
How do you skip putting a propellor on a airplane?
Quality control people must have been off on a Chinese holiday when they shipped.
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:26 PM
Trying to learn.
Moscow, Russia
Joined Jun 2010
181 Posts
Anyone have experience interfacing with standalone camera-recorder module?
Received one as spare just to play with. Want to know pinout and signals..
Could you please describe (or even better show with pictures), which wire goes where from recorder PCB?

I successfully found power pins, but was unlucky with recording control and video out pin..
leprud is offline Find More Posts by leprud
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:30 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
818 Posts
OK,
I got my new 5.8 ground station ready and got everything ready to start building my Spy Hawk.
I waited and ordered V2 so I would get the new larger tail. And the ability to turn off the stabilization, better servos, etc.

Well the plane is V1 small tail.
The radio does have the ability to turn off the stabilization…(more on that later)

Everything went together well and the little battery charged fast.
I swapped out the AA battery, in the radio, for a 3s lipo. I turned everything on and it all worked well on the bench.
Looks like it is on Channel 6 on 2 different 5.8 Video Rx. that is also one of the channels on the 5.8 Fat Shark Goggles!! That’s great. The camera has a great picture and seems to take light changes very well. The plane does fly great… once you figure out how to get it to fly…

Looking at the tail, the elevator was already pointing down when the plane is level. “This is not going to fly like this” I said to my self…
So, I re-adjusted the elevator mechanically, to give it some “up trim” to start with. So it would at least have a fighting chance to gain some altitude…

Flying this plane is not like flying any other plane!
The first couple of flights were very nerve wracking. I could hold the elevator stick all the way back and it would not gain altitude.
I used the trim button to get it to climb, and it did… a little. I am still holding the stick “full up elevator”, but it is climbing. I get to an altitude I think is safe to let go of the stick…. I go hands off and it stays level… It should have started diving, being that I had to hold full up elevator to keep it level… strange.
So I pull the stick back, slowly, and it starts to climb, I get to a certain point and it stops climbing… strange. So, give little input and it will climb.
I try giving it more throttle and it stays level… turn off the throttle it stays level…
So once you get it in the air the stabilization seems to work just fine.

Now that it is flying well, I turn off the stabilization… WOW WAS THAT A BAD IDEA! The plane turns straight up stalls and flips over spinning out of control. I turn on the stabilization and it takes a second and a great power dive and pulls up. WOW.
Getting it to fly in stabilization mode I had put in about 30 clicks of up elevator trim. Once in manual mode it did not need 30 clicks of up elevator trim.

Here are my thoughts on the issues. If you have ever had a plane with stabilization, you know that the plane and the stabilization board need to be on the same orientation. The board needs to be level when the plane is flying level.

What I need to do now is see if I need all the trim I dialed in. is it doing anything in stabilization mode? If I do, can I re-calibrate the board so it is closer to the manual mode flying trim levels?

I believe I will call them.
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:35 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,866 Posts
So who owns one here in North County SD? I see Bill and I see FastBack....
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
So who owns one here in North County SD? I see Bill and I see FastBack....
Any thing pushed by what's his name, I stay away from. Won't see me with one.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
OK,
I got my new 5.8 ground station ready and got everything ready to start building my Spy Hawk.
I waited and ordered V2 so I would get the new larger tail. And the ability to turn off the stabilization, better servos, etc.

Well the plane is V1 small tail.
The radio does have the ability to turn off the stabilization…(more on that later)

Everything went together well and the little battery charged fast.
I swapped out the AA battery, in the radio, for a 3s lipo. I turned everything on and it all worked well on the bench.
Looks like it is on Channel 6 on 2 different 5.8 Video Rx. that is also one of the channels on the 5.8 Fat Shark Goggles!! That’s great. The camera has a great picture and seems to take light changes very well. The plane does fly great… once you figure out how to get it to fly…

Looking at the tail, the elevator was already pointing down when the plane is level. “This is not going to fly like this” I said to my self…
So, I re-adjusted the elevator mechanically, to give it some “up trim” to start with. So it would at least have a fighting chance to gain some altitude…

Flying this plane is not like flying any other plane!
The first couple of flights were very nerve wracking. I could hold the elevator stick all the way back and it would not gain altitude.
I used the trim button to get it to climb, and it did… a little. I am still holding the stick “full up elevator”, but it is climbing. I get to an altitude I think is safe to let go of the stick…. I go hands off and it stays level… It should have started diving, being that I had to hold full up elevator to keep it level… strange.
So I pull the stick back, slowly, and it starts to climb, I get to a certain point and it stops climbing… strange. So, give little input and it will climb.
I try giving it more throttle and it stays level… turn off the throttle it stays level…
So once you get it in the air the stabilization seems to work just fine.

Now that it is flying well, I turn off the stabilization… WOW WAS THAT A BAD IDEA! The plane turns straight up stalls and flips over spinning out of control. I turn on the stabilization and it takes a second and a great power dive and pulls up. WOW.
Getting it to fly in stabilization mode I had put in about 30 clicks of up elevator trim. Once in manual mode it did not need 30 clicks of up elevator trim.

Here are my thoughts on the issues. If you have ever had a plane with stabilization, you know that the plane and the stabilization board need to be on the same orientation. The board needs to be level when the plane is flying level.

What I need to do now is see if I need all the trim I dialed in. is it doing anything in stabilization mode? If I do, can I re-calibrate the board so it is closer to the manual mode flying trim levels?

I believe I will call them.
I would love to tell you what I think, but this is a sponsor of this site and I would be banned back into the dark ages.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:02 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,367 Posts
I was considering one before I decided to build up my own system.

Thought the display in the TX was neat but was turned off by the camera being the landing gear.

Reading about the other issues and users gripes Im glad I passed on it.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:31 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
818 Posts
Ok,
Last night I had better flights.
I dropped the sensitivity on the elevator from 80 to 60.
and I think I am going to go to 40.
I also corrected the CG. it is tail heavy.
I think one issue with the plane not being able to climb, is that if you are in a turn, you will loose altitude, like most planes. I tried launching and heading straight out and I could gain altitude. as soon as I turn, I needed to give it more up elevator.

I took out all of the elevator trim once I was flying... and it flew level...
I flipped to manual mode and it flew well.
The plane flies well once you get it up and going.
you also need to fly it differently then most planes.

Later,
Gundy
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:42 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
818 Posts
Oh, other stuff:
You can change the 5.8gHz channel... not sure if its just the RX, but you can change it.

Later,
Gundy
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bridport
Joined Jul 2012
13 Posts
Interesting. My V2 manual didnt have the extra options that the V2 TX has eg. sensitivity control, expert mode, inverting control surfaces etc. But Hubsan sent over a PDF via email which helped a bunch.

Heres a video of my first flight. Half way through I turned off stabilisation and had to dial in trim quickly. My next flight I'll try it on manual but without expert mode on as this dumbs down the control surfaces by about half, making it less twitchy for my leaners thumbs.

First flight FPV Hudsan Spy Hawk (5 min 33 sec)

One thinig to bear in mind, as with most other RTF planes that don't have stabilisation/auto pilot ensure that you trim up the plane BEFORE you fly. If you don't do this then when you hit "manual" your plane may start doing bunny hops and spins and wing overs and its final trick will be to either remove its nose or its tail as the ground comes up and hits it.
krikey is offline Find More Posts by krikey
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, PA, Lansdale
Joined Feb 2012
201 Posts
Hi Guys,
Mike from Spyhawk.fpv came thru and sent me a version 2 kit minus the TX. The version TX that I have will alow me to turn the video recorder on and off with the "exit" key on the TX, but will not allow me to turn the gyro system on and off with the "enter" key. From what I have read this might be a good thing. What is the "Expert" mode all about? I am assuming the numbers accross the bottom of the screen are the trim values, and 50 is mid-point? What is the number in the upper left corner? As usual no instruction. Can you post the PDF you got from Hubsan? As for the flying and landing charactoristics, you need a big field to turn it and it climbs like a fat duck! I have been unable to flare on landing and the nose plants have taken a toll on the foam around the camera. I have added a piece for foam to the underside of the nose, with an angle that should ease touchdown. Its height should protect the camera. I have secured all this with good old duct tape. Hope this does not affect reception. I assume the antena is behind the receiver electronics. I was thinking about using a single wheel in the nose addition I added. I will see how this works first. I had to add weight to the nose to get proper CG, so if my additions get too heavy I can take out weight. Looking to hear any helpful input. This little plane is still a work in progress. Also the SD card they sent does not work, I had to use one of mine. That was the second one that did not work. Got good video with my 2 gig SD card. Hope Mike is working on the fix for not being able to turn off the gyros and the bad SD card.
Frank Arbaugh
arbfrank is offline Find More Posts by arbfrank
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
21 Posts
Frank A.

As you are probably aware......any weight added to these small
Planes however seemingly slight must be countered withe weight
In the tail. Concerning your inability to flair.......in my opinyon
the manufactures
Suggested C.G. Locations for most of these planes are un realistic
For every day enjoyable flying. My suggestion to you would be
To just forget about the "location" of the C.G. ........take the spy
hawk out to the park early in the morning when it's dead calm....
carry with you a couple of dimes, a half dozen 2" paper clips, some
Scotch tape. Just hand toss with out power , and little by little
keep adding weight to the tail with each toss. Toss the plane level,
And after half a dozen flights of incrementally adding weight, you
will find the spy hawk will glide out beautifully 100+ feet and touch
down like a feather. And when some one asks you the location
Of the c.g. you can say you dont have idea.......but where ever
It is.......its in the perfect location.
As far as your other issue with the hawk climbing like a duck....
If your board you could check my other posts using that
magnifying glass or search symbol at the lower left hand corner
of this post. There's only nine of them, and I'll bet you a quarter
They will address your situation. All you guys seem to be struggling
With the same situation , from reading a lot of these posts. The spy
Hawk is a beautiful plane and it flys like an angel. Good luck!
Dutch rudder is offline Find More Posts by Dutch rudder
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, PA, Lansdale
Joined Feb 2012
201 Posts
Hi Dutch Rudder,
Thanks for the reply. I have flown since my modifications and with dumb luck I hit the right CG. It climbs okay and lands like a feather. I did not like the design where the video camera lense was the point of impact, and my mod now has removed that problem. I also stop the bending of the video antena when the plane is set on a level surface. I know I added nore weight forward of the CG so that has helped. It must of been tail heavy and when it stalled, it fell off on a wing and nose planted. does not do that any more. Could you confirm what the numbers accross the bottom of the screen are? And what is the number on the top left? If the numbers at the bottom are trim values, then on the ones that have a two way travel, (ele,ail and rudder), is 50 the center value? thanks for you help.
Frank Arbaugh
arbfrank is offline Find More Posts by arbfrank
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I still can't get mine to climb. Gets about 2 ft off the ground and won't climb any higher!!! The elevator simply doesn't move!!!! Any suggestions???
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax