Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:21 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillybee View Post
Boopidoo,

The entire idea of the SpyHawk is very good and resonably priced too. The mistake they made was in the design of the powerpod...what screw up! Once they straighten that out, the plane will fly great even without autopilot. As of now, without the throttle engaged, it glides perfect as long as you give it down to compensate for all of the up elevator needed to keep it from diving while the power is on. So hopefully version 3 will have the bugs out and then they'll have a good product. But for the rest of us, we're stuck with having to modify it.
Now I've tried it and I didn't find it pitch down much at all. Definitely not unflyable. However it was a little nervous in the pitch axis compared to roll axis but this should be easy to fix by changing in which hole the linkage sits in the elevator control horn.

Also the design including the powerpod seems to be very similar to the Nine Eagles Sky Runner: https://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&c...w=1323&bih=917
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
21 Posts
The problem you guys are having with the pitch control is due to not
Enough angle of incidence built into the design. This is a knock-off
Of the Cox Sky-cruiser, had the same problem . If interested , go to
The cox sky Crusier fourm thread for my dissertation of the fix.
This little plane flys just beautifully when squared away.
Dutch rudder is offline Find More Posts by Dutch rudder
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
Plainfield, New Jersey, United States
Joined Mar 2003
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch rudder View Post
The problem you guys are having with the pitch control is due to not
Enough angle of incidence built into the design. This is a knock-off
Of the Cox Sky-cruiser, had the same problem . If interested , go to
The cox sky Crusier fourm thread for my dissertation of the fix.
This little plane flys just beautifully when squared away.
I don't think the angle of incidence has anything to do with my plane because it glides perfectly until I open the throttle and then it nose dives instantly which leads me to believe that it's a direct result of the thrust. The problems of the SkyCruiser seemed to be that it was porposing up and down...which I never had. I will put some extensions on my elevator and see if that makes it more like version 2 which some people have gotten to fly pretty well.
chillybee is offline Find More Posts by chillybee
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
21 Posts
That's exactly the problem this will solve.......
By biassing the elevator up 1/6 to 3/32 of an inch is a lazy mans
Way of increasing the angle of incidence........so when you accelerate,
The plane will want to climb...like all planes do.....instead of the
Pitch over tendency that it's doing now.make sure you add the
Weight in the nose so you will have the nice power off glide
Capability........do the glide test in early morning with zero wind.....
Power on .......power off......it will be eating out of your hand.
Dutch rudder is offline Find More Posts by Dutch rudder
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:42 AM
United States, PA, Lansdale
Joined Feb 2012
197 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am still waiting for Mike at Spyhawk.fpv to make good on a bad SD card and bad servo. I got the first version and the servos are crap. I am not going to go away on this!!! I see he has taken his phone number of his web page. What does that tell you? I am not some kid that can just be brushed aside. Look for us on "Judge Judy".
Frank Arbaugh
arbfrank is offline Find More Posts by arbfrank
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:21 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Let me know how you make out. He doesn't respond to calls or emails anymore also.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Nov 2011
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbfrank View Post
Hi Guys,
I am still waiting for Mike at Spyhawk.fpv to make good on a bad SD card and bad servo. I got the first version and the servos are crap. I am not going to go away on this!!! I see he has taken his phone number of his web page. What does that tell you? I am not some kid that can just be brushed aside. Look for us on "Judge Judy".
Frank Arbaugh
Frank,
You might want to contact the local authority where hes located at, but i'm not sure if they are going to take it seriously either. Why dont you dispute it or contact the CC company and charge back? Keep us posted, good luck!
am534615 is offline Find More Posts by am534615
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:29 PM
Denmark
Joined Jan 2007
100 Posts
Just got mine from Rangevideo, nice small plane,
but got a problem there is only a black screen on LCD when i turn plane power on ?

How to get video?, what 5.8Ghz freq is the default ?

Can get into the settings menu with blue screen, but only static in 1 sec and then black screen when i power plane on again.

Volva ?
LoopForEver is offline Find More Posts by LoopForEver
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
Miami
Joined Dec 2001
1,641 Posts
Controls work OK?
I think it might be unplugged cable between main board and video camera or video transmitter. check for loose cables. This happened before.
reznikvova is offline Find More Posts by reznikvova
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:31 PM
Denmark
Joined Jan 2007
100 Posts
Controls works fine and it fly fine, but just black video screen - with some random freezing noiseimages when flying. Will check the connections.
Freq ís on 5790
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,092 Posts
What kind of video signal do you get with the plane BEHIND you, or do you have to keep turning, facing the plane. If you have to keep facing it, as I have read, what's the use of the thing. It doesn't have much range, so if all your going to do is record your Los flight, what's a key chain camera cost?

Seems to me this has very poor q.a. And not to good support after you've plunked down your money.

Just my 2 cents.
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:00 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0 View Post
Seems to me this has very poor q.a. And not to good support after you've plunked down your money.
Which is a real problem when you consider the target market - new people to FPV that just want an easy RTF system with no building needed.

If you're going to have to mod the thing just to work half decently then you'd be better off with the Fatshark Predator RTF system and put it on a decent plane.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:57 AM
Denmark
Joined Jan 2007
100 Posts
Found the problem - the flat cable to from the camera to the recorder in front of the plane where nearly disconnected, locked the cable again - and there where picture o :-)

Can anyone please send me the default freq used on 5.8GHz ?
Do they use the same channel on all planes or do you change both RX and TX in the settings menu ?

Overall a good plane, but 2 small issues, the loose connector and a loose connection in charger(no light sometimes), but have my own charger anyway :-)

Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:37 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopForEver View Post
Found the problem - the flat cable to from the camera to the recorder in front of the plane where nearly disconnected, locked the cable again - and there where picture o :-)

Overall a good plane, but 2 small issues, the loose connector and a loose connection in charger(no light sometimes), but have my own charger anyway :-)

Thanks
Jeez that's scary!
Good thing (sic) it happened out of the box and not when you were flying.

Might want to make all wire connections part of your PreFlight.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:16 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopForEver View Post
Controls works fine and it fly fine, but just black video screen - with some random freezing noiseimages when flying. Will check the connections.
Freq ís on 5790
Finely someone posted the Freq of the 5.8
Now I can start on the ground station.

I got my tracking number today, so it is on its way.

next question...
what is the pin out for the "video out" plug on the bottom of the radio????

I have had a bunch of little planes like this. they all have pitch issues. with the motor on a pod. look at the HK dolphin, they tried to "fix" that with motor angle. now it looks silly. but it woks better.

Later,
Gundy
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy