SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:10 AM
Plainfield, New Jersey, United States
Joined Mar 2003
143 Posts
Maddmax,

I've yet to try trimming my power pod but will get around to it hopefully next week. Too bad you haven't heard anything back from Mike. I had emailed Alishanmao and he responded to all of my emails very quickly with suggestions so at least he was trying to give great customer support. Unfortunately, there's nothing he could do to fix in my opinion a major design flaw. It would be great if any of the people who sell/support this plane would let us know what needs to be done to it on this forum. Here are the videos explaining the changes to version 2 of this plane and what to expect and what not too expect when flying it.

Review: Hubsan SpyHawk FPV (part 1) (4 min 35 sec)

Review: Hubsan SpyHawk FPV (part 2) (3 min 54 sec)

Review: Hubsan SpyHawk FPV (part 3) (5 min 30 sec)
chillybee is offline Find More Posts by chillybee
Last edited by chillybee; Jun 27, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:49 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
Hey all,
What 5.8ghz channel is the video on?
is it in the Fat Shark set or a different set. (5740Mhz, 5760Mhz, 5945Mhz......)

I want to start making the ground station.

Later,
Gundy
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:57 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I have seen all those videos. Doesn't help our situation out though, does it!!!

I ordered some replacement wings, tail and stabilizer from rangevideo.com. They have all the spare parts in stock except the fuselage. The stabilizer I got in was the larger v2 version so I'll swap that out and see how she flies with that change. Still won't be able to turn the stabilization off though.

Looks like there just won't be any customer service responses from Mike, so I'll be sure to mention that at every opportunity I get and I'll be spending my money somewhere else as well. Besdides, the plane is $40.00 cheaper at www.rangevideo.com
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:32 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Thanks, if I had know it that tendency also I certainly would have waited until the bugs got workedout. Needless to say, even though they have a revised version coming out, it does little for our situation. But if they keep getting bad reviews, it certainly won't help with future sales. I have emailed Mike about this and he does not respond back. But when I had sales questions, he was right there!!!!

Anyway, I managed to get 2 1mm rods slid underneath the motor mount and that seemes to stabilize that. My motor was a bit loose anyway.

Do you have any pics of where you cut your pod you could share???

Thanks
Mike who?
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:31 AM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Mike is the guy providing crappy customer service at www.spyhawk.com
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:38 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
I can see the attraction of an all-in-one RTF FPV setup however it seems to be compromising a lot when you can get a much better setup using an AXN, Turnigy 9x and Fatshark Predator package for only a slight difference (approx $50 more). That way you get a much better plane, better transmitter and FPV goggles with only a minimal of tinkering. And you can use the Turnigy 9x for a number of other planes as well.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:12 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,598 Posts
I think that "minimal" tinkering is a relative term and what is minimal work for some may very well prove to be almost impossible for others. Also the setup you propose does not have stabilization.

I think this may prove to be the ideal FPV-beginner setup. It makes it possible to try FPV without all the hassle. I also think it's good that the range is short so those wanting to fly further will need to learn and build themselves.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:21 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Not surprised. He just started his business.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:58 AM
United States, PA, Catawissa
Joined Jul 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Its www.spyhawkfpv.com isn't it?
rc4u is offline Find More Posts by rc4u
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:15 AM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
I called customer service to ask what freq the the 5.8Ghz video was on...... he told me to come here...... that is too funny.
At first, he said they tried to get some other video RX to work and they couldn't... "it must be proprietary"
I just giggled and said thanks.

Later,
Gundy
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Mar 2003
143 Posts
Boopidoo,

The entire idea of the SpyHawk is very good and resonably priced too. The mistake they made was in the design of the powerpod...what screw up! Once they straighten that out, the plane will fly great even without autopilot. As of now, without the throttle engaged, it glides perfect as long as you give it down to compensate for all of the up elevator needed to keep it from diving while the power is on. So hopefully version 3 will have the bugs out and then they'll have a good product. But for the rest of us, we're stuck with having to modify it.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Yes, my mistake on the website address. For bad customer service, please go to www.spyhawkfpv.com
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jan 2007
142 Posts
At least you guys have your poor flying planes in hand! I'm still waiting on an order I placed in early April through Ali and allegedly he is getting more stock in mid-July. From what he told me per our last email correspondance is that Hubsan is terrible with customer support leaving a lot of dealers in the dark and frustrated as well. As a result he has stopped selling them as a dealer, but is still honoring the pre-orders that were placed a while back. Oh well..
PeterGriffin is offline Find More Posts by PeterGriffin
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Mar 2003
143 Posts
PeterGriffin,

Ali really does try the best he can eventhough things are out of his hands. If I were you, I'd try and cancel my order and wait for a working version to come out.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Mar 2003
143 Posts
I think I've found the original which this this knockoff was created from. But the original is 3 channels and flies quite well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1501164