HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superevan View Post
I say the threat wouldnt be much worse then throwing a baseball too far over a fence and busting a windshield. Or using a 3 man slingshot. Bad things will happen with any toy, this is no different.
Except for our nanny state over reaction to it....
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 03:20 PM
That smell is fuel my dear!!!
Joined Sep 2010
6 Posts
Should you buy SpyhawkFPV from China to save Money?

Monday came real slow for me as I was waiting weeks for this unit to show up. Sure enough I got a door hanger from the postman telling me I could pick it up after 5pm the next day :-( Now I had to wait another day knowing it was just a few blocks away, come on, I'm chomping at the bit here!
Tuesday came and I got to the post office at noon (what patience) and to my surprise.... it was there! Well, The clouds parted, sun beamed down, and angels sang a happy happy song, and all was right with the world .........

(Insert sound effect of needle being scraped across an album here!)

Unboxing the plane very carefully the first thing I noticed was the radio in a bag. Mmmmm new radio smell. I played with the flip up shades that try and protect the LCD screen from glare. I played with these for 10 minutes... I know, "get a life"right. you'll do the same don't worry. Then the fuselage came out :-( The back part of the tail boom had dents and was bent at about 10 degrees (See attachments) probably from shipping but if this unit was packed properly this would be less likely to happen. I have never had a Parkzone show up like this... yet :-) And if I had, my LHS would remedy this right away.

Ok, I thought I will deal with that in a bit, just let's see what the rest looks like.
Everything else seemed ok for now.

So the building starts.... and 15 minutes later it's finished and batteries are ready to go
! Yes! almost ready to FPV over my local park! lets just check servo reversal, basic trim etc. Oh, and fix my bent shaft....... I mean tail boom the shaft is perfectly straight :-)

(Insert ANOTHER sound effect of needle being scraped across an album here!)

Elevator and rudder servos are DOA. Errrrrr. I loose it! I mean I SNAP!! now I almost have a rebuild on my hands due to the tight prebuilt servo installation.
Of course the time difference between north America and China is too great to contact anyone right now for immediate gratification on knowing parts are coming. In the mean time I noticed the radio does not bind to the plane sometimes... Now Im doing yoga positions to try and control my anger, but I ended up with a recked back trying to do crouching cat and dog arching positions.
Turns out the radio batteries were dying. Yep! you get to replace the radio batteries quite often on this beuty. I went through 16 of them during this process, so think Lipo everyone, with lots of mah.

I did get a reply back from Ali, he told me the servo arms are jammed from glue sometimes. I explained that this was not the case and that they were dead. I also asked what I was to do with the bent boom. Ali emailed back saying this was normal for the first few hundreds of units from factory.
I wrote back saying this is now way normal, and to either replace the plane or send parts.
As the review says of this product on RCModelreview's youtube channel there's just no quality control. Great review by the way Bruce, loved the three part series!
Ali emailed me back saying he will show the pictures to the factory and in the mean time he will send a fuselage and servos to me. Not that this is in any way Ali's fault, to his defence he is trying to help me, but how long will I have to wait AGAIN to get parts only have a few more hours of building to do. The whole point of this product is to get it, charge it, fly it.
I should just finish off my Skywalker FPV and forget about instant gratification.

Now to stop whining and bitching like a little girl:

I replaced the servos with my own, straightened out the boom and tail section and got it up in the air. Great stabilization, wow! this was solid. After a few seconds I wanted to gain some altitude to try FPV, this was harder to do than I realized. The stabilization just wanted to fight me during the whole flight. I persevered with it and found the whole flying experience pretty good. I'd highly recommend this for someone who's never FPV'd, I also recommend only flying this in no wind, it is very light and you will be flying backwards waiving good by if your not careful.

While I wait for parts I got to talking with Mike from Spyhawlfpv.com another vendor I found here in North America, I wanted to see if he had any parts and that I would just pay for them (No Patience again :-).
You have to remember that when I started this venture Ali was the only one I could find selling this unit but now there's more and more people selling it and yes there $40 more here in North America B U T this is not a bad thing folks. After explaining my experience to Mike he actually took the bull by the horns and said "We'll take care of you" what! really I thought, I never even bough it from him and he wants to help me. This is what service is all about folks. He said if I don't get any where with Ali that he would help me. He was not trying to be nasty about Ali but he sympathized with my situation, in fact I think he's chatting with the factory about this too. Ali is doing all he can, I think, I guess I will see when the parts show up, but so far I have not had a personal issue with him. The fact Mike wants to help me makes me realize I should have waited and purchased from someone that is able and willing to help a bit quicker and easier.

If I had to do it all over again, and I will, as my friends are eagerly waiting to get one of these SpyHawks, I would get it from this side of the pond. Yes you will spend $40 more but as Mike mentioned they check there planes very well and would be very surprised if they had a faulty one like this. Where as Ali told me I am the 3rd guy out of 35 with similar problems Hmmmm.
Dobyx is offline Find More Posts by Dobyx
Last edited by Dobyx; May 11, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Sep 2010
6 Posts
Whoops!

Here's the pictures
Old May 11, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, CA, Pleasant Hill
Joined Mar 2005
315 Posts
lol good story but sorry you had such a bad experience. i appreciate you learning for us all to not buy direct.

may i suggest cow and cat, and some cobra poses for your bad back. and then end it with some dead bug for rest lol.
specriv is offline Find More Posts by specriv
Old May 11, 2012, 08:20 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,043 Posts
LOL all the more reason to make your purchases from a company that you can get customer support from, or even your local hobby shop, if you have one.

Thanks for sharing your unboxing.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old May 12, 2012, 07:07 AM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Its a toy not a serious fpv setup.
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old May 12, 2012, 09:19 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,043 Posts
It is a serious FPV setup for those that don't want to spend a bunch of money and try to figure out what parts to purchase. Oh, and everything is FCC legal, unlike most of FPV set ups out there, unless you have an FCC license to operate the higher power video transmitters.........
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old May 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Sep 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvV FANG Vvv View Post
Its a toy not a serious fpv setup.
Yeh, you could look at it that way but you could consider a blow up doll a toy,
I still wouldn't want that bursting on me an the most inappropriate time !
Old May 12, 2012, 06:52 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobyx View Post
Yeh, you could look at it that way but you could consider a blow up doll a toy,
I still wouldn't want that bursting on me an the most inappropriate time !
No YOU can consider a blow up doll a toy...by the sounds of it you already do!
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
Old May 13, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Sep 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvV FANG Vvv View Post
No YOU can consider a blow up doll a toy...by the sounds of it you already do!
Leave Mandy Maxum out of this Fang! She never did you any harm. Yet!

Ok we're a bit off subject here.
Truth is I wish I could just nock this one up as lesson learned for buying
a simple toy, but I still want it to show up and work. People can be too
complacent about stuff these days. Not me man. I'm not loaded so
I need it to at least show up in somewhat working order. That's the way it was advertised.
And I guess in essence I have learned a lesson that's why I posted my
Simple review, just a bit of a heads up to those on the fence of ordering from the east vs the west.
Now the freekin thing flys I will now wait for the wind to die down and FPV my teeny tiny brains out!

Dobyx out
Old May 15, 2012, 01:35 AM
United States, PA
Joined Aug 2011
321 Posts
First impression, nice little FPV plane in a RTF package for beginners! Though theres a QC issue with this plane, i could safely let you all know that Ali and the factory are working on it.
Hmm....V2?
epphobby is offline Find More Posts by epphobby
Site Sponsor
Last edited by epphobby; May 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:35 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,344 Posts
Here is the manual for the Hubsan FPV Spy Hawk for those interested.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old May 17, 2012, 10:35 PM
Plainfield, New Jersey, United States
Joined Mar 2003
144 Posts
I received my plane today after having it sent from Canada. After opening the box, I also noticed a big dent in the side which bent the pushrod. But I straightened it out and continued setting it up. Everything glued together fine but the elevator pushrod rod was a bit too short so I unscrewed the servo arm and rotated it enough to make it reach. It seems like a quality control issue but it's workable. With the stickers on, the plane looks really sharp.

After recharging both sets of batteries, I went off to the flying field and noticed the plane didn't want to bind. It took about 10 minutes but it finally worked. As always, I gave it a tet glide and it flew perfectly. So I threw it, and gave it about 1/2 throttle and the nose immediately pointed down. I had to cut back on the throttle to pull out of the dive. After moving the cg back and trimming in a ton of up elevator, I discovered that as long as the throttle is only a few clicks open, the nose will stay up. But anything over and it takes almost full up to keep the nose up...not good.

By the time I left, my transmitter voltage was still over 10.5 volts but it wouldn't bind anyway. After getting home I checked out the incidence of the stabilizer expecting to see some negative incidence but that wasnt the case. So I snt an email to Hubsan to see what they say. I'm really hoping I can get it working because the plane is slick and the entire idea is great in my opinion.
chillybee is offline Find More Posts by chillybee
Last edited by chillybee; May 18, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Mar 2003
144 Posts
Well I think I figured out the problem. The thrust line on the pod since it's a pusher behind the cg should push the back of the plane down to help keep the nose up. That would mean that of you looked at the shaft, the back of it should point up. The pod is actually designed that way but if you look at my pictures, you can see that the motor was mounted so that the shaft is about parallel with the fuselage. This I believe is causing the plane to nose over everytime the throttle is opened up. Hubsan told me to add a few degrees of up to the motor but since it came glued into the pod from the factory, getting it out won't be all that easy. I'll have to see what I can do. I still think the plane is cool and with the exception of the nose diving, it was very stable. On a calm day it could easily fly around on less than 1/2 throttle.
Old May 19, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Mar 2003
144 Posts
Things seem to be resolved. I unscrewed the 3 tiny engine mount screws and cut a servo grommet on half to use as 2 spacers on the bottom screws. That would allow pressure to be put on the screw threads and also let me adjust how much the screws were screwed out/in. They are very short so there isn't much extra length to work with. But after adjusting the thrust so that the shaft is perpendicular to the vertical face of the engine pod, a few test glides in the yard with the motor running were fine. Today I'll take it out to the field for a real flight. So it looks very promising.