SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, PA, Lansdale
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Hi Hubsan FPV flyers,
My friends tell me that when you reach a certain age you become invisible to the younger generation. How could you tell my age from my questions that just seemed to be ignored. Do any of you look at the numbers across the bottom of your FPV screen? Are they trim values? Is 50 the center value for a up/down trim surface? Could it be that when those of you who can turn off the Auto/stablizer, report wild flight reactions, it is because the base trim values are way off? Please confirm or deny my speculations, don't just ignore?
Frank Arbaugh
arbfrank is offline Find More Posts by arbfrank
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Frank A.
No one wants to admit that they don't have a clue.....
Dutch rudder is offline Find More Posts by Dutch rudder
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
Elephant Field Flyer
Virginia Beach
Joined May 2005
211 Posts
The Numbers

50 means its centered.
From left to right
:
Rudder
Throttle
M-2 (this means mode 2)
Elevator
Ailerons

Mine arrived in great condition. All bench tests passed. Waitin till Sunday to give it a try.
WetBee is offline Find More Posts by WetBee
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Hi WetBee,
Thank you very much.
Frank Arbaugh
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbfrank View Post
Hi Hubsan FPV flyers,
My friends tell me that when you reach a certain age you become invisible to the younger generation. How could you tell my age from my questions that just seemed to be ignored. Do any of you look at the numbers across the bottom of your FPV screen? Are they trim values? Is 50 the center value for a up/down trim surface? Could it be that when those of you who can turn off the Auto/stablizer, report wild flight reactions, it is because the base trim values are way off? Please confirm or deny my speculations, don't just ignore?
Frank Arbaugh
I'm probably older than you are and have an RC model that is celebrating it's 50th year. Trim numbers are as mentioned. Turn stabilization off, then adjust neutral trim for the surfaces mechanicaly. I think they made aerodynamic changes for packaging reasons..... short tail or tail surfaces too small. See my mods in post 150. They clean up the handling stability off and on.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,735 Posts
New video taken this morning

Hubsan FPV Low Passes RSF Soccer Field by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 8 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:58 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
812 Posts
Well, here is a 10 minute flight with no major changes to the plane.
I put a little too much trim into the elevator for manual mode. the elevator is up when the plane is level.
I fixed the CG (more weight on the nose)
I dropped the sensitivity on the elevator to 70. Could be a little lower.
All the trims are at 50

Later,
Gundy

SpyHawk testing FPV setup nice crash a (9 min 39 sec)
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Hi Guys and Otto,
I have a hybrid, it has a V1 TX with a V2 fuselage and electronics. I can turn the recording on and off from the TX but not the Auto stabilization. I just put the plane on a level stand and brought the trims to 50. After turning off, I aligned the control surfaces by clevis or servo arm changes. That seems to work. Since I can not turn off the stabilizer in flight, I will never know how it flies with out stab. By the way Otto, I saw your video and unless you are very well preserved you do not match my age of 75 years,(not dog years!!!). Thanks for the help.
Frank Arbaugh ( The old man)
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbfrank View Post
Hi Guys and Otto,
I have a hybrid, it has a V1 TX with a V2 fuselage and electronics. I can turn the recording on and off from the TX but not the Auto stabilization. I just put the plane on a level stand and brought the trims to 50. After turning off, I aligned the control surfaces by clevis or servo arm changes. That seems to work. Since I can not turn off the stabilizer in flight, I will never know how it flies with out stab. By the way Otto, I saw your video and unless you are very well preserved you do not match my age of 75 years,(not dog years!!!). Thanks for the help.
Frank Arbaugh ( The old man)
Frank you got me by a bunch. More power to you. It is a shame you can't turn off the stabilization. Makes the plane soooooo much easier to fly in tight spaces and to stay in range.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:11 AM
Denmark
Joined Jan 2007
100 Posts
Where do we get spare propeller for it ? Have broken both.

Also the video downlink seems to reach maybe only 10 meters !, with blue screen nearly all time when longer away - is this normal ?

When you do change FREQ in the menu, does it change both the TX and RX in some way, or do i have to find the right RX Freq ?
LoopForEver is offline Find More Posts by LoopForEver
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the input. I have a version 1 fuselage with a bad rudder servo. How do you change a servo on this little plane. It looks like the two halfs of the fuselage were glued together with the servos and electronics in it. Where do you slice and dice. What I can see of the servo connections to the RX, they are not standard size. What size are they? This is a very dificult plane to service. Any help would be appreciated.
Frank Arbaugh ( The Old Man)
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
Elephant Field Flyer
Virginia Beach
Joined May 2005
211 Posts
I had my maiden Sunday. The first flight I did notice the lack of climb ability, but the flight went well. I moved the control horn closer to the elevator on the second flight and I had a lot more up control. On the third flight I got it up high and turned off the autopilot, it bucked up but I was still able to get it under control and smooth it out. Loops are OK but could not get it to barrel roll.

Your first flights with this bird should be in an large open space like 2 football fields wide. It took me 3 go-arounds at 12f high before I got some height on my first go.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopForEver View Post
Where do we get spare propeller for it ? Have broken both.

Also the video downlink seems to reach maybe only 10 meters !, with blue screen nearly all time when longer away - is this normal ?

When you do change FREQ in the menu, does it change both the TX and RX in some way, or do i have to find the right RX Freq ?
Mine did not come with props. I use GWS EP-4025 with the GWS rubber spinner adapters. Works fine. Cruise is just above 50% throttle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Hi Guys,
Somebody must have replaced a servo on these. Give me a shout and tell me how to proceed.
Frank Arbaugh
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:56 PM
Elephant Field Flyer
Virginia Beach
Joined May 2005
211 Posts
I have replaced a servo on a similar plane by gently yanking it out, cut the wire and solder the new servo to it. Short of cutting into the fuse this seems to be the best option.