HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ALL American, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
It's Not Too Windy...Man Up
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Gallery
Airfield Version 3 / FMS 1450 mm P51D Version 6

This is my new P51D for flying at the local park when I don't have time to go to my flying club. Its an FMS 1450 mm (57 Inch) P51D Version 6

FMS makes great airplanes but they almost all have some minor issues. So aside from rehinging all of the control surfaces with DuBro pinned hinges which was optional, I found a number of small issues (mostly aesthetic) that I felt needed correction:
  • The blue on the plane was three different shades so I repainted the blue on the cowl, spinner and on the plane. The camera's flash washes out the color which is actually a much richer blue than it appears in the photos.

• The stripe decals on the top of each wing were crooked so I removed them and painted the stripes.

• The Invasion Stripes were very sloppy with quite a bit of overspray so I repainted the Invasion Stripes.

• The entire airframe was dulled a bit with Krylon Matte finish spray.

• The motor alignment was off to the right and too low and the spinner gap against the cowl was fairly wide. This was unacceptable so I corrected the alignment and gap.

• A number of minor issues were discovered during a thorough inspection such as, one of the retract's set screws was too small and was not actually securing the strut. Had I not caught this I'm sure the strut would have fallen out during a takeoff or landing. So inspect every screw on your plane!.

• I use Gens Ace 4S 4000 Mah 25C packs which weigh 15+ Oz. I had to add 1.6 ounces of weight to the tail in order to obtain a good balance. While inverted, the plane flies with little to no down elevator so I think I have the CG right on the money.

The maiden flight went well as this plane is a big, easy to fly P51. There was a strong cross wind but the plane is so easy to fly that it was a non-issue. The plane required only a click or two of aileron trim to fly straight. The flight was 5 minutes with a 4S 4000 Mah 25C Gens Ace Pack and 3.89 volts per cell remained after the flight. As far as I'm concerned, the plane is fast enough with the 4 blade prop for flying at the park. I don't think I'll bring this to the club very often so the 4 blade will stay on for both its looks and its thrust.

This plane is a major improvement over the Version 5

Name: FMS Petie.jpg
Views: 200
Size: 98.2 KB
Description: Name: FMS Petie 2.jpg
Views: 159
Size: 135.4 KB
Description: Name: FMS Petie 3.jpg
Views: 170
Size: 182.9 KB
Description:

Name: FMS Petie Wing Stripes Repaint.jpg
Views: 141
Size: 184.5 KB
Description: Name: FMS Petie Underbelly.jpg
Views: 148
Size: 197.5 KB
Description: Name: FMS Petie Underbelly 2.jpg
Views: 143
Size: 167.7 KB
Description:

Name: FMS Petie Motor Realignment.jpg
Views: 132
Size: 104.7 KB
Description:

Gens Ace 4S 4000 Mah 25C Lipo Placement

Name: Gens Ace 4S 4000 Mah 25C Placement.jpg
Views: 144
Size: 243.6 KB
Description: Name: DSC00184.jpg
Views: 131
Size: 236.4 KB
Description:

1.6 ounces of lead weight embedded under the Horizontal Stabilizer to obtain proper balance

Name: Tail Weight for Balance.jpg
Views: 139
Size: 66.1 KB
Description:

Balance Point CG is 33% into the circle on the top of the wing.

Name: Balance Point.jpg
Views: 171
Size: 170.7 KB
Description:

ALL American is offline Find More Posts by ALL American
Last edited by ALL American; Aug 08, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,374 Posts
Looks great. Can you take a pic of your battery placement with that pack? I have been experimenting with where to put mine of a similar size.

Thanks!
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:06 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,248 Posts
A..Glad the maiden went well, she looks real good...now you just need to loose that non scale pilot and get a Shapeways pilot/cockpit.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,230 Posts
Nice lookin' repaint! Glad to hear that you're happy with the improvements they've made.
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:51 PM
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri View Post
Looks great. Can you take a pic of your battery placement with that pack? I have been experimenting with where to put mine of a similar size.

Thanks!
Thanks!

The Gens Ace 4S 4000 Mah 25C packs are a snug fit in the upper compartment that is intended for the battery pack. It must be pushed far enough into the battery bay so that the canopy snaps on.

I had to add 1.6 ounces of weight to the tail in order to obtain a good balance. I'll try to snap a picture of the battery placement tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
A..Glad the maiden went well, she looks real good...now you just need to loose that non scale pilot and get a Shapeways pilot/cockpit.

Thanks! You're right, the shrimp in the pilot's seat needs to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler901 View Post
Nice lookin' repaint! Glad to hear that you're happy with the improvements they've made.
I wouldn't go that far...LOL

I finally got my last FMS P51D to a point that I was pretty happy with and then a fellow member at my club decided to fly in the wrong direction and we a mid air. After that, I was through with that plane. This new plane really needed very little in terms of mechanical or functional modifications so in that respect I guess I'm happy with the improvements.

Regards,

Anthony
Last edited by ALL American; Apr 12, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:33 PM
Holly Hill, Fl.
Joined Mar 2005
710 Posts
Great looking airframe...thanks for sharing.

Regards
Mike
flmlm is offline Find More Posts by flmlm
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:54 PM
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmlm View Post
Great looking airframe...thanks for sharing.

Regards
Mike
Mike,

How's your E Flite P51B rebuild coming along?

Regards,

Anthony
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:13 PM
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri View Post

Thanks!

I added some additional photos to my first post which show the LIPO Pack placement, the addition of tail weight and where my P51D balances.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Anthony
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,374 Posts
Thanks Anthony, I have the same packs and have been playing with how to mount them to get it to balance.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:02 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
As usual...nice plane made nicer with the upgrades. Looks great!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:09 PM
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
As usual...nice plane made nicer with the upgrades. Looks great!
Thank You Tom!

Are we going to fly this summer?

Anthony
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:42 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Without a doubt...either north or south, we'll figure it out!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Sep 2012
267 Posts
Does teh Krylon Matte finish spray help protect the paint on the foam? Does it not do harm? How are the retracts on this plane as i'm looking to get this one from bananahobby.

Thanks,
ryanbe15 is offline Find More Posts by ryanbe15
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:21 PM
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbe15 View Post
Does teh Krylon Matte finish spray help protect the paint on the foam? Does it not do harm? How are the retracts on this plane as i'm looking to get this one from bananahobby.

Thanks,
The Krylon Matte did not damage the paint or foam, it slightly dulled the finish. The retracts are lousy. After six flights one died so I replaced them with larger retracts.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Sep 2012
267 Posts
Can you please provide the link to the larger retracts? How long have you been flying with the bigger retracts? Also, this plane would be my 2nd low wing plane. Is this plane easy to fly?
ryanbe15 is offline Find More Posts by ryanbe15