Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:21 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
The tail may be shaft-driven
You say that as if it's a bad thing. My shaft driven collective pitch tail rotor works flawlessly on my V120D01 (when the servo isn't twitching ).
Extremely smooth performance. Don't crash and you won't strip gears.
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:51 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
Don't crash and you won't strip gears.
On my Walkera helis, landing on grass was enough to strip the tail drive gears. The brushless motor spooling down was enough to keep the blades spinning when on the grass.

Three solutions.

1. Don't fly on grass

2. Don't buy a tail shaft drive heli

3. If you do buy a tail shaft drive heli, do your best to install some type of slipper clutch.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:20 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,383 Posts
+ 1 on slipped clutch

Livoniabob

Where you at foo?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb View Post

Looks like it flys great....how does it crash?
usually by some chowderhead losing control of his thumbs
Coptafeel is offline Find More Posts by Coptafeel
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:15 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post

1. Don't fly on grass
Agreed. Bring a car-mat with you to the field, for take-offs. Catch the heli with your hand for landings, or cut power a couple of inches above the ground.
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:36 PM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
Agreed. Bring a car-mat with you to the field, for take-offs. Catch the heli with your hand for landings, or cut power a couple of inches above the ground.
Hey just get a butterfly net to catch the heli. on the way down or a catcher glove can do the trick LOL. Best Regards.
segroegt is offline Find More Posts by segroegt
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,418 Posts
Too expensive for what it is. For that price I would expect a CF frame normal servos (not linear) and an outrunner motor.
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
+ 1 on slipped clutch

Livoniabob

Where you at foo?
Think you all might have to buy him a 130x if you want him to make a slipper clutch.

Quote:
The tail may be shaft-driven, but I am SOOOOO glad it's not a separate motor.
An electric tail can actually work quite well if it uses a variable pitch tail rotor like a shaft or belt driven tail.

Quote:
And it's nice to see a brushless on this one too! Yippee! Now for the waiting game and the ever-moving HH release dates
Inrunner though, not outrunner.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Apr 13, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Mar 2011
196 Posts
Quote:
Oh man, FINALLY they listened to us! We've been clamoring for this ever since the mCP-X I'm definitely in for one, I've flown the rotors off my mCP-X and still love it for backyard sport flying. The 130x will still be small enough for the backyard, but should be big enough that I can see what the heck it's doing in inverted flight better. The tail may be shaft-driven, but I am SOOOOO glad it's not a separate motor. And it's nice to see a brushless on this one too! Yippee! Now for the waiting game and the ever-moving HH release dates
Second day and it has already been moved to Late June. Maybee we'll get our hands on it in August of were lucky. lol! I'll watch this date changing movie
Dittsboylogan is offline Find More Posts by Dittsboylogan
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:45 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Too expensive for what it is. For that price I would expect a CF frame normal servos (not linear) and an outrunner motor.
It is down to $240 at Ampdraw models. But the main issue for me is that I would have to get a DX6i for it. The linear servos should fix the stripping problem of the V120D02S. So that is actually a bonus if you don't mind the slower response of linear servos.You are also looking at a more powerful 2S system and probably a better FBL system for 3D flying. Otherwise, I don't think it will be anywhere near as durable as the MCPx. I will be watching it closely, it is possible that no vendor will import it to Hong Kong. If it is imported, I would be expected to pay full price for it.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:38 AM
RC Wirehead
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2011
21 Posts
mmm hmmm

I have an mcpx too, i love that freakin thing - im on my 3rd frame (but its only like $7) i fly it inside and out A LOT.

I just built a trex 450 pro 3gx but i dropped my dx8 b4 i got to fly :-( its in the shop now.

I saw this and im really thinking about it since i almost just laid down $300 for a brushless mcpx - i wish this was in stock so i could play with it until i get my dx8 back :-( if this were in stock i would buy one tomorrow - may still get one tho to do some harder 3d than i can do on my mcpx and that im willing to do on my 450 :-)
sendittokeith is offline Find More Posts by sendittokeith
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:42 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
It is down to $240 at Ampdraw models. But the main issue for me is that I would have to get a DX6i for it. The linear servos should fix the stripping problem of the V120D02S. So that is actually a bonus if you don't mind the slower response of linear servos.You are also looking at a more powerful 2S system and probably a better FBL system for 3D flying. Otherwise, I don't think it will be anywhere near as durable as the MCPx. I will be watching it closely, it is possible that no vendor will import it to Hong Kong. If it is imported, I would be expected to pay full price for it.
Well I haven't had a stripped servo on my D02S since doing the servo saver mod. Also 300mah is what 3 minutes of flight time? Even at $240 I could build a nice FBL Tarot 250 that would outperform it easily.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:38 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
snip

Even at $240 I could build a nice FBL Tarot 250 that would outperform it easily.
How's your local parts availability on that and customer service?

Just sayin'

Those are pretty big deals to me when I make a purchasing decision in this hobby. I run down to any of 3 LHS in my area at least 3 times a week to grab parts for replacement or modding for the HH products I own and have them in my hand instantly.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:36 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
The tail gear set is $15 a pop. So crashes are going to more expensive than the MCPx. However, they do show optional metal bevel gears.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
How's your local parts availability on that and customer service?

Just sayin'

Those are pretty big deals to me when I make a purchasing decision in this hobby. I run down to any of 3 LHS in my area at least 3 times a week to grab parts for replacement or modding for the HH products I own and have them in my hand instantly.
Tarot 250 is a (very high quality) clone of the Trex 250 so if you need something immediately you can just use the Align part.