HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:13 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,270 Posts
you guys should check out gwsprops.com..they have quite a bit of gws stuff..I just ordered some
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:06 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBob View Post
Dealers received an email from them apologizing for the troubles and letting us know that it would be back up "soon".
Yeah, that was what, Tuesday? The entire GWS US site is timing out, both public & dealer, for over a week...

nothing should take anywhere near that long to fix, I was in IT for 20 years. They just don't seem to care.

Bill
billbo1970 is offline Find More Posts by billbo1970
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:49 AM
Rocky Mountain High
Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
195 Posts
phoam and thrashmaster

Received this e-mail from gwsprops.com. Looks like we may not get our cowls for the P-38. Will keep you guys posted.

Hello, wanted to let you know Iím checking on the part you ordered. The aps073, gwsís website has been down for the last couple days and I canít check on it. I have an email in to them now about if its available or not. I will get it order as soon as I can if it is. Or if you do not want to wait I can always refund your order. Very sorry about the delay they didnít let us know the site was going to be down so that was a not so nice surprise! Thanks a lot have a good day.
mtnflyer44 is offline Find More Posts by mtnflyer44
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:12 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,550 Posts
If this forum history is anything to go by, I'd put money on it that it is on the way out..

such a shame, GWS had some good OEM products which are (were?) still the product of choice

But this forum has followed their fall in popularity by diminishing to just a handful of posts on 3 threads in the last week.

I hope I'm wrong...
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:59 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
I've had my doubts about GWS for the past year, with the lack of product availability & everything else... They now work a 4-day week (closed on Fridays now!), and they only work a 7hr day (9:30-4:30).

Now add to it that both their public & dealer websites have been offline for over a week, and it's really not looking good. Mr. Lin hasn't even bothered to visit the forum & lie some more!

Bill
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:14 AM
Rocky Mountain High
Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
195 Posts
Smokin Beaver - looks like you are a B-29 fan. My Dad was a flight engineer on B-29s off Guam. I was lucky to find his flight logs from training to his last mission.

I thinks GWS in the U.S. market is a thing of the past. At one time I stocked most of their kits and parts. Mr. Lin missed the market and failed to look ahead.

Our group still flies most of the GWS kits; we have to piece them together to keep flying but they are still popular.
mtnflyer44 is offline Find More Posts by mtnflyer44
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:20 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,550 Posts
mtnflyer4, yes a fan, I'm currently building a Guillow's kit to airworthiness - just for the challenge.
You dads logs would make for a very interesting read, there is always more to them than a first glance.

Marketing and GWS probably shouldn't be used in the same sentence any more.
After the success of the first and second models designs series came the decline.

First they had to be skull-dragged into the brushless motor era and then the EPO era - this took a long time (for whatever reason they had).
I think they focused on the old ethos of cheapest is best.
Thank goodness they didn't waste as much energy on trying to produce a GWS Lipo battery empire as well.

The technology of RF equipment went into top gear, as did the EPO, motors and Lipo's.
I don't think they could keep pace and maintain the 'empire'.
Should have cut it loose as cheap gear was everywhere at the time including pirated foam airframes.
In fact the only time in 10 years I have been censured on a post was, at that time on this forum for naming of one of those pirate brands.
This showed to me an alarming reaction to free speech - that sort of behavior has a negative effect in western culture.
I don't think they understood their market back then. I did mention to Mr Lim on occasions that his marketing team should be changed for their repeated and clear misunderstanding of the Australian market.
The failure of GWS to change after about 3 yrs led to me ceasing to support their product and eventually I deleted this forum from my subscriptions page.
I was not interested if they were not interested.

All academic now, it saddens me to see how this brand has declined. It could have been the best but their marketing team was/is remarkably flawed.
Marketing precedes all other departments in a production based organization. You can sell anything if you have the right sales person.

- Phil
Last edited by Smokin' Beaver; Feb 10, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:24 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
618 Posts
I hope they can get their act together. I never flew a gws plane that I
didnt like.
thrashmaster71 is offline Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:02 PM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
About 2 years ago, I was told that they were planning to convert their entire line to EPO... only a very small poriton of it was, and availability is almost 0. I was then told that they were focusing the majority of their efforts on servos.... I was like 'what, servos?! That market is saturated at both the high & low end!!' And now it doesn't look like they are focusing on anything at all... although they did come out with the Micro SS RTF kit... a day late & a dollar short, and in short supply anyway .

Bill
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:25 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo1970 View Post
although they did come out with the Micro SS RTF kit... a day late & a dollar short, and in short supply anyway
...and still a brushed motor setup(?) groan... pretty much underscores my comments and we're now in 2013.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:53 AM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflyer44 View Post
Received this e-mail from gwsprops.com. Looks like we may not get our cowls for the P-38. Will keep you guys posted.

Hello, wanted to let you know Iím checking on the part you ordered. The aps073, gwsís website has been down for the last couple days and I canít check on it. I have an email in to them now about if its available or not. I will get it order as soon as I can if it is. Or if you do not want to wait I can always refund your order. Very sorry about the delay they didnít let us know the site was going to be down so that was a not so nice surprise! Thanks a lot have a good day.
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.
thrashmaster71 is offline Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:39 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,377 Posts
I'm going to be sad if the E-Starter extincts. It must be the most easy, stress-free small plane on the market. How could be any easier to fly unless the little plastic guy flys it for you ?
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:22 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,639 Posts
I am slowerly working on a gws c130 which will have 4 10gram brushless motors, spinning gws5030 instead of the 3020's.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:55 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson View Post
And I need an E-Starter really, really bad.

Freddy
They seem to be instock here

http://www.gwsprops.com/estarter.htm
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:09 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,377 Posts
I have one spare E-Starter, I suppose I should get one or two more. One of the best little planes you can get, no arguments accepted, they will only prove to be useless black spots on a screen.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop